Worlds Of Fantasy (BBC4)

Does anyone know what the other two episodes are going to be focusing on?

EDIT: Actually, according to the radio times web site, the next episode will focus on Tolkien and Peake.

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me what each ep is about ?

I dont get it over here. Would interesting to know what they tell in the eps.

Who are the other eps about ?

Information is a bit scarce at the moment Con, all i can find are the titles for the 1st two eps.

1. The Child Within (Peter Pan,Potter, CS Lewis,Philip Pullman etc)

2. Epic Imagination (as Fried Egg says Tolkien,Peake etc)

3. ?

Will this be showing on any of the American stations? Am very interested.

Depends on the show. To be able to put the programme up at all, they have to get the permission of the programme makers, and I think they also have a say in how long the programme remains on the iPlayer. Generally, I think they're up for 2-3 weeks.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but due to rights issues the iPlayer doesn't work outside the UK.

Damn. I didn't realise that - and it seems a little daft given that someone's bound to just stick it up on YouTube.:(

I just watched the first episode last night. It was quite good. Exploring child oriented British fantasy fiction going back 150 years. From the Water Babies to His Dark Materials.

I presume the entire series will be focused exclusively on British fantasy? It's a shame they couldn't include American fantasy too.

I've been watching the second episode (in bits) and it has been quite infuriating. It credits Tolkien and Peake as having pioneered the genre of fantasy, that before then fantasy was only for children or existed only as myths and legends. Not even a mention of people like Morris, Dunsany and Edison.

I mean, sure, they certainly made a massive impact on the genre but let's not pretend it didn't even exist until they came along!

For those interested in seeing this (largely very good I thought) series I would advise keeping a close eye on the BBC4 schedules as they seem to repeat programmes fairly regularly (though often very late at night) - if it is on again I would advise trying to see it, definitely worth a look. I particularly enjoyed the last episode, some very interesting stuff with Terry Prachett and Michael Moorcock. Let's hope the Beeb shows it again soon!

HELP!! Re: Worlds Of Fantasy (BBC4)

Hello everyone,

I need help! I'm a German student and I write my B. A. thesis on English and Scottish fantasy literature by the example of Alice in Wonderland and Peter Pan. I would have really liked to watch The Worlds of Fantasy, but I don't receive BBC here and it's no longer broadcasted anyway. Is there anyone who recorded the series? :confused: Please! I urgently need help!

Thanks in advance.