Norstrilia by Cordwainer Smith

Anthony G Williams

Greybeard
Cordwainer Smith (real name Paul Anthony Myron Linebarger) was an unusual man; an expert on the Far East and on psychological warfare, who served in US Army Intelligence in both World War 2 and the Korean War, he also left behind a series of linked stories set some 15 millennia in the future. These envisage a strange universe in which man has developed in various forms on different planets and has in addition changed animals into "underpeople"; mainly human but retaining some characteristics of their animal origins. The whole is ruled by the Instrumentality of Mankind, a self-perpetuating and self-governing group of Lords and Ladies who have absolute power.

Norstrilia is the one full-length novel in the sequence. It follows the adventures of Rod McBan, born heir to a farm on the planet Old North Australia (Norstrilia for short) which maintains the way of life of the long-lost Earth original. Despite the simple life of the people, they are fabulously rich because the planet is the only source of stroon, a life-perpetuating drug extracted from diseased sheep. At the start of the book McBan is in serious trouble as he has a handicap – his telepathic ability is unreliable – and Norstrilia has a rigorous screening policy to keep the population in check by very pleasantly killing off anyone who doesn't measure up. With the aid of an old computer, programmed long ago in the science of economic warfare, he protects himself with a sustained assault on humanity's economic system, which leads to him buying Old Earth, to which he escapes. The rest of the story tells of his adventures there among the Lords of the Instrumentality and the underpeople.

If the plot sounds strange, the writing style is even stranger. Cordwainer Smith had a unique, unmistakeable style with which to express his truly bizarre genius. While just about qualifying as SF, it has more of the feel of fantasy. However, it isn't all smoke and mirrors created by an imagination careering away with itself; there is thinking and writing of real substance here, passages to make the reader stop, and think, and re-read them.

It is quite possible that some people will really dislike the result; I suspect that you either love or hate his work. Personally I love it, and believe that the author has earned a special niche in science fiction's wall of honour. Everyone with a real interest in the genre should read at least one of these stories, and will then most likely not rest until finishing the lot.

(An extract from my SFF blog)

Ah, C'Mel. I'm convinced she was siamese, although as I believe cat Melanie actually existed I could probable websearch her now.A long time since she hid the bell with a blot (do tell me I'm right, and she was the welcoming committee for Rod in cat disguise on Earthport {? I'm afraid it's been several decades} which, had it been on the Equator would probably have been the first orbital tower in science fiction)
Planoforming, Rat and dragon – I should scour some second hand shops and see if I could find those stories again.
And where would I put them? No, store them where they are, between my ears, all the Lords of the Instrumentality, I remain hominid.

"She hid the which of the what she did.
Hid the Bell with a blot, she did.
But she fell in love with a hominid.
Where is the which of the what-she-did?"

Indeed, Chris. Been quite a while since I read Smith's tales of the Instrumentaliy (and, unfortunately, is likely to be even longer, the way things are shaping up). And yes, Smith's style -- perfectly suited to the milieu he's describing here -- takes a little getting used to, but is a well-honed tool, and what he does with it is more than worth making the adjustment....

I have a beuatiful HB edition of all of Smith's short fiction. I'm yet to read it but looking forward to checking it out!

Ah, C'Mel. I'm convinced she was siamese, although as I believe cat Melanie actually existed I could probable websearch her now.A long time since she hid the bell with a blot (do tell me I'm right, and she was the welcoming committee for Rod in cat disguise on Earthport {? I'm afraid it's been several decades} which, had it been on the Equator would probably have been the first orbital tower in science fiction)
Planoforming, Rat and dragon – I should scour some second hand shops and see if I could find those stories again.
And where would I put them? No, store them where they are, between my ears, all the Lords of the Instrumentality, I remain hominid.

What a splendid post, wholly with the spirit of C. Smith. I keep the Instrumentality hidden beneath a fingernail, which I bite to the quick when being creative. ;)

Ill be reading this soon. Just finished Rediscovery. Some of his ideas and their execution get pretty bonkers.

Ive read it , It's quite good ! (y):cool:
The poetic writing style can make me zone out from time to time over a novel, like with Dunsany, but after I read 'A planet called Shaylor' I felt like I need more of Smith and the Instrumentality universe.

The poetic writing style can make me zone out from time to time over a novel, like with Dunsany, but after I read 'A planet called Shaylor' I felt like I need more of Smith and the Instrumentality universe.

His real name was Paul Myron Anthony Linebarger and he was a very brilliant and remarkable man .:cool:

He died in 1966 at the age of 53.

I know of no other SF writer like Cordwainer Smith. His 'future history' is both poetic and beautifully strange.
When I first saw the titles of his stories , I thought, "are the stories as off center as these names?!"
"Scanners Live in Vain"
"The Game of Rat and Dragon"
"No, No, Not Rogov!"
"Alpha Ralpha Boulevard"
"Mother Hitton's Littul Kittons"
"The Ballad of Lost C'Mell"
"Think Blue, Count Two"
….. and more
Yep, those are as clever and off-center as any SF one will ever read.
Beautiful stuff , never a SF writer before and none after like Cordwainer Smith.