Explaining Complex Ideas

Foles

The story I'm working on now is a sci fi that deals with the concept of the human race controlling all of the known universe. It's set in present day, and Earth is a world seeded by the humans to allow humans to evolve independently of the outside galaxy. Technology and biology have essentially fused due to the creation of picocells, tiny technological constructs that are made to independently solve problems.

Anyway, I digress. What I want to know is, how does one explain complex ideas that affect the story in a major way? Of course there is a character who already knows and understands the situation, but I absolutely refuse to have him become a mentor that just spews information at the progtagonist for the sake of explaining the idea to the reader, even if it's drawn out over time.

So how do you guys present the ideas in your story?

You explain ideas in the context of the story, but remember that if you are explain technology (ideas) from people who don't know about it, you write observations and thoughts. But when you have a character that does have a clue about the thing, then you can use him to explain it much better.

Do not just dump your info so that your novel start to read like a manual. If you use narrator, then try use character as a narrator, showing only what he or she knows about the subject.

Last, do not listen to me, because I know nothing. I do not have a degree on English, and everything I have learned, comes form my intuition and over-analytical mind.

Haha. I like that last part.

The thing that bugs me is I'm not sure exactly how to go about explaining things. The concept is a little weird, and I want it really to click with the reader so that they understand. It's the basis for the books, so if they don't get it or don't buy it, I'm screwed. But I can't just explain stuff to them, and like I said, a scene where he has all of his questions answered is just way too convenient.

Put in a few technical terms, then in the course of a minor, or younger, character expressing curiosity, the concept can be explained to him and the reader. If you use different characters to do this, your hero doesn't become a mentor. Circumstances and story can be manipulated so that 'Experts,' make brief appearances, excerpts from 'Historical,' texts can be used as chapter headings and so on.

There are a number of techniques and, if you vary them enough, you can easily slip in the necessary information without the reader even being aware of it.

Post the scene in here, PM or critiques, and I see if I can give you a hint.
I'm only outlining at this point- that's why this came up. I found that the plot will be very confusing if you don't understand everything the way I understand it. I always do a ton of outlining before I write, not because I feel I need to do it, but because I really enjoy watching the story slowly flesh out into something I love.

I found that the plot will be very confusing if you don't understand everything the way I understand it.

This can be a problem, however complex or not the technology, magic or whatever is.

You, the writer, know it all (you assume); the reader begins the book knowing nothing at all. As an author, it is so easy to forget that you know what is happeneing and has happened, and why, whereas the poor reader is completely baffled because you didn't let them know something you think is obvious.

This is why it's good to have someone else look over the manuscript: they should let you know when some things simply don't make sense to them.

How early in the story do people need to know how early? How long can you keep them interested with ten percent of the technical know-how? If the answer is that most if the information is only essential later on in the book, it is relatively easy to spoon it in slowly, in homeopathic doses. ("relatively" says he who invariably has to add character information and chop out technical for everything he writes) If the civilisation makes no sense without a basic understanding of the technology, it becomes considerably more complex.
But wait; you said books, a series. The problem is compounded. In case someone should buy your books in the wrong order, each one must contain the minimum information to empathise with the society. On the other hand, those who manage to obtain them in the preferred order must not be bored with repetitions of the explanations they have already read. So you must find as many different ways as there are books to pass the information (something that not all published authors manage gracefully, or even at all, in some cases).
Encouraging, aren't I?

Not being technically minded, I probably wouldn't understand the scientific aspect of it anyway-BUT, I did have a thought for you.:)

As Chris points out a series of books would make the issue harder to deal with, because if read out of sequence, you have to find a way of rehashing the whole explanation in an original way.

Call it a cheat or not-but one of my fave things about eddings was his ability to info dump at the beginning of some of the books, as a refresher for the readers of past/crucial events pertaining to the plot. His way of doing it by "papers" written by various scholars from certain places, (cleverly giving us an insight into their society too) was one I always appreciated.

How about something along those lines? An archived newspaper story, or science paper, discussing the merits of this new technology and the impact it may have upon the world..so when the reader finds that the technology is in use in the book, in your present, they have an underlying understanding before the nitty gritty of the thing becomes important enough to need detailed explanations.

Just a thought for ya, may not be suitable at all, but there it is.:)

How about something along those lines? An archived newspaper story, or science paper, discussing the merits of this new technology and the impact it may have upon the world..so when the reader finds that the technology is in use in the book, in your present, they have an underlying understanding before the nitty gritty of the thing becomes important enough to need detailed explanations.

Just a thought for ya, may not be suitable at all, but there it is.:)

I think using media to bring in the ideas is a good way to do it. In my book, I have used newspaper articles to bring in the historical facts, and scientific arguments (I use artistic license to bend fiction to fact sometimes). I also have used other media forms, to bring in depth into the story itself. Nevertheless, I also use characters to narrate world building, technological facts as often as I can.

Underneath passage is unedited, so please forgive me.

“According to Tree data, there is a DCH sister-company factory in the Siberia. They have these devices,” Paige pointed at Tom bracelet, “but what they are exactly doing with them is unknown. Es believes that they have something to do with the genetics and …” she looked down, and said quietly, "Tree believes they are using these manufacture relatives to you Tom."

“WHAT?” Tom spat out, he couldn't believe what she was saying. “What are you talking about?”

“This,” Es said as he pulled two e-paper scrolls from his bag and handed them to Barrett and Tom. "I did find that article from the web, it's two years old, but it kind of explains what they are after, check it out."

Genetic coders (article continues) ...

Last edited: