Dresden Files - do they get any better?

zedlav

Weighted Companion Cube
Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series sees a lot of recommendations around here and elsewhere and I decided to give them a try. Having just started the second book, Fool Moon, I've already had to put it down due to what I think is sloppy, lazy and, worst of all, unengaging writing.

I did struggle through the first book, even though none of the characters were interesting, did in fact range from the uninspired to the annoyingly cliched to seemingly blatant copy-paste jobs (sex obsessed talking skulls, particularly, although checking the dates suggests that Butcher may have came up with it himself after all), both the setting and the simplistic plot were boring and the overall impression left was that of a rough draft of an forgettable detective novel which tries to explain its own mediocrity with magic. And I didn't even mention the lovable nerdy scamp that Dresden himself is, what with his lack of experience with women and quirky taste in dress.

Okay, that sounded harsh, but I really didn't like what I read and I really fail to understand what is supposed to be so good about the series, so my question is whether the later books make up for the lousy start somehow?

IMO finish the second book and if it is real bad to you dont read more.

I liked the first book. Loved something, liked other thing less. Felt the pace was too fast sometimes but the interesting main character made you not care that much.

Not everything is for everybody. As a matter of fact, this entire forum/subculture is kind of based on that. Not everyone leeps in a room with nine swords, three gargoyles, a dragon and a bust of King Tut, either. I hope you appreceate the irony in my harshness or is it the hashness in my irony. My choice would be to grab a different book. I always try to buy three times what I'll ever have time to read.

I've read the first 4 books, and I would say, if you don't like the first book then it's unlikely you'll like the other books. I loved book 1, liked book 2 and wasn't overly keen on 3 and 4.

hth :)

IMO finish the second book and if it is real bad to you dont read more.

I liked the first book. Loved something, liked other thing less. Felt the pace was too fast sometimes but the interesting main character made you not care that much.

I agree. I loved the first book, the second less so, but the others I've read have certainly been worth it. They aren't perfect, but the story was enjoyable enough for me.

I haven't read the entire series myself yet, so I can't say whether the story picks up enough later on to make it worth reading. That said, though, it did take me a while to get into it - it's not exactly my primary genre. Like Connavar said: if you give the second book a chance and don't like it, then you don't need to read more.:)

I have read them all and find them entertaining enough to justify reading more of them.

If you are not liking them then stop reading them and chalk it up to other people having different taste than you.