Philip K. Dick - the novels

Always cool to see collection pics!
Here's 2 of my Dick shelves-

Picture%20877.jpg

Picture%20878.jpg

Picture%20884.jpg

Picture%20885.jpg

Some of these go all the way back to the '70s & moved with me dozens of times over the years (including two cross country trips) ...
I'm thinking of replacing them with brandy new copies once Houghton Mifflin Harcourt starts releasing their versions near the end of this year~

Nice! I'm starting to collect the old PB with my favorite covers. Recently purchased copies of Three Stigmata and A Scanner Darkly.

What's your favorite of the non-fiction stuff?

Once again I am the victim of my own sloppiness and misread what was posted, offering a response veering a little to far from the subject to let ride. Boy, do I feel :eek:, really really.:eek:

Last edited:
Nice! I'm starting to collect the old PB with my favorite covers. Recently purchased copies of Three Stigmata and A Scanner Darkly.

What's your favorite of the non-fiction stuff?

"I Am Alive And You Are Dead" by Emmanuel Carrere was probably my favorite biography.
Before that, "Only Apparently Real" by Paul Williams was a good read that came out in '86.

The only thing I didn't like about (the huge) "Pink Beam" by Lord RC is that it sent me looking
for books way out of my price range! ;)
Other then that, it's a great 'PKD companion' covering (just about)
everthing (in chronological order).

"Counterfit Worlds: Philip K. Dick On Film" covers 'Blade Runner' to 'A Scanner Darkly',
but the parts I found most interesting were the chapters on Early Radio & TV Adaptations
as well as Unmade Projects

My pride & joy is the signed & numbered "PKD: A Philip K. Dick Bibliography" (1981).

I will post my PKD novels pics when i get The Man in High Castle and Martian Time-Slip i ordered today. My copies at home are often new american paperbacks or SF Masterwork versions.

Why get old damaged paperbacks when you can get new paperbacks ;)

I Am Alive, And You Are Dead, is awesome. I first read that in one sitting, and have since read it multiple times. My copy is dog-eared and marked with about 100 post it notes.

I also really like On Philip K. Dick; it is a great collection of scholarly essays.

I just ordered Only Apparently Real, but haven't received it yet, and I had never heard of Pink Beam - but it shall be mine soon! :)

The worst is I Think I Am Philip K. Dick; the author seems very pretentious, and more concerned with impressing his readers with his own knowledge than he is pontificating about PKD.

The first cover D Davis posted is amazing but still i prefer the inside quality over a cover. Plus its just practical im not in english speaking country i can only find new paperback as second and not books with funky 70s covers.

So I just won a copy of In Pursuit of Valis for $6.00 on eBay. I keep thinking it's some kind of hoax. Like I'm going to be shipped a photocopy or something.

So I just won a copy of In Pursuit of Valis for $6.00 on eBay. I keep thinking it's some kind of hoax. Like I'm going to be shipped a photocopy or something.

Ebay sounded great to me when i found PKD,Vance novels for 1 dollar from US and then saw the shipping to Sweden was 23 dollars :p

Look at abebooks you can find alot of SF books for 1 or 2 dollars with little to nothing in shipping.

So no one's going to comment on the fact that the cover of Three Stigmata is actually the cover of Dune?

Heh - I've never seen that cover before. Funny. I know that it has absolutely nothing to do with the Dick book.

Here's my recently completed review of Radio Free Albemuth:

Backed by the US intelligence community, Ferris F Fremont is elected President. In this alternate history story, "the man who could not compete did not have to." But, Fremont's past holds a secret. If it ever gets out it will lead to his downfall. So, the State resorts to ever more oppressive measures to ensure Fremont's secret stays safely suppressed.

After he comes to power, the American government launches Mission Checkup to detect "sleepers" who may become aware of Fremont's secret. While an associated agency known as Friends of the American People (FAP) intimidates the population to help ferret out sleepers.

Nicholas Brady has worked in the music business all of his life. A satellite in Earth's upper atmosphere, put into place by aliens on Albemuth, guides Nick and others in the revelation of Fremont's secret.

Excerpt, more available at the link:

Books ive read by him
1. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep
2. The man In the High Castle
3. The Penultimate Truth
4. The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch

A few oof his short stories including We Can Remember it for You Wholesale which I found far more chilling that the Paul Verhoeven film. Another story that ive never been able to forget Is Upon the Dull Earth That too was a very chilling story.