Philip K. Dick - the novels

It seems that you can pick up any Dick and not go wrong. Fair statement? I've read a few (Do Androids...., We Can Build You, Now, Wait For Last Year, Flow My Tears ...) and have not been disappointed. Maybe I should just pick up every PKD that goes by (alas I could have made a great double entendre). Has anyone ever read a bad one?

I've read a couple of bad ones, and a couple that were just kind of meh.

The two I don't like, at all: Maze of Death and The Penultimate Truth

Merely okay: The Simulacra, Solar Lottery, Lies, Inc, and We Can Build You.

The rest have all been various shades of awesome - I've read around 30 of his novels.

What's wrong with the "Penultimate Truth"? I've looked at that one and liked the look of it. I guess I should avoid it then?

It seems that you can pick up any Dick and not go wrong. Fair statement? I've read a few (Do Androids...., We Can Build You, Now, Wait For Last Year, Flow My Tears ...) and have not been disappointed. Maybe I should just pick up every PKD that goes by (alas I could have made a great double entendre). Has anyone ever read a bad one?

What did you think of Now Wait For Last Year ?

My favorit so far. I have read 5 of his.

Only one that was merely decent to be a PKD was a Maze of Death.

The rest have been awesome to me.

What's wrong with the "Penultimate Truth"? I've looked at that one and liked the look of it. I guess I should avoid it then?

I couldn't even get past the first 75 pages. It totally failed to engage me on any level.

It and Maze of Death are the only two PKD books I've never finished.

I couldn't even get past the first 75 pages. It totally failed to engage me on any level.

It and Maze of Death are the only two PKD books I've never finished.

Im thinking about a PKD spree can you give me your opinion on some books of his im interested in reading next . I want good works of him to read next.

After reading Maze of Death as my last PKD months ago, i want something better instead of randomly getting some of his work. Since you have 30 of his books you would know whats high level,mid level (which is more than good enough for me when PKD) and low level PKD book.

The Man Who Japed
The Crack in Space
A Scanner Darkly

The first two books early PKD sounded very interesting if fantastiction had the right synopsis. Which isnt given since Clans of the Alphane Moon had the synopsis of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep ?

Fooled me for a second that there was another android and Dekker story :eek:

Here is a top 10, just off the top of my head:

1. The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch - this is my favorite PKD book
2. UBIK
3. A Scanner Darkly
4. Martian Time Slip
5. Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said
6. The Divine Invasion
7. VALIS
8. Galactic Pot Healer
9. Dr. Bloodmoney
10. Time out of Joint

I don't think you can go wrong with any of these, especially the top 5.

Interesting hehe i do have The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch without having read it yet. Somehow the lame title made me think it was his weaker ones.....

How about the older PKD i posted have you read it, The Man Who Japed ? I wanted to mix an very early PKD novel with his later works like these that i have already decided to get next.

The Man in The High Castle
- his interesting alternate history that i have high hopes for nothing sounds cooler in SF than seeing PKD toy with alternate history.

Martian Time Slip
- really cause of the time travel angle.

Dr Bloodmoney
- Post Apocalyptic PKD !

The Man Who Japed is one I haven't read, but my webmate loved it and reviewed it:

http://www.genrebusters.com/print/review_manwhojaped.htm

My favorite of his early work is Time out of Joint.

I may be one of the only Dickheads who isn't in love with The Man in the High Castle. That this was his only Hugo winning novel I find very, very strange, as I wouldn't even rank it in my top 20.

The Man Who Japed is one I haven't read, but my webmate loved it and reviewed it:

http://www.genrebusters.com/print/review_manwhojaped.htm

My favorite of his early work is Time out of Joint.

I may be one of the only Dickheads who isn't in love with The Man in the High Castle. That this was his only Hugo winning novel I find very, very strange, as I wouldn't even rank it in my top 20.

Which is why Hugo is not highly rated award by me. If they couldnt see the genius of PKD who can trust their taste !

Time Out of Joint i saw in New Worlds anthologies. I might get it there with other New Wave writers.

Well, I've gone and taken advantage of the 3 for 2 offer on PKD at our local Waterstones and I've gone for The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch, UBIK and The Penultimate Truth. I thought I'd take D Davis' top two recommendations but stick with my intuition and try the lambasted "Penultimate Truth" just because I like the sound of it and, afterall, how bad can it be? It's in the SF masterworks series and others have rated it highly so I'll make up my own mind.

For me it is only two new PKD for now. Since i ordered Dr Bloodmoney and The Man who Japed.

I could afford only two brand new PKD this month since i ordered Heinleins first Juvie and I, Robot too.

A Scanner Darkly (a combination book/film review)

Philip K. Dick once said that real paranoia is not just thinking that everyone is out to get you, but that everything is out to get you. Yes everything, from your mailman to your friends, from your television to your toaster – this is how a truly paranoid person lives, and in many ways, this is how Dick lived much of his life. Dick, ever the jester and target of his own pranks, the butt of his own jokes - Dick the rat they used to call him - lived a life of self-inflicted near-insanity and confusion, never trusting himself, his loved ones or his so-called friends, let alone his very possessions. Prescription drugs and addicted peers helped pave the road he traveled towards suspicion and obsession, contempt and depression. However, even though he lived a life enveloped by the drug culture, he did not exalt the lifestyle like some hippy-dippy acid guru such as Timothy Leary – if anything, he spoke out in opposition to drugs, and used his life as en example of what could happen as he saw his friends fall, one by one, to the evils of narcotics.

A Scanner Darkly is the story based on Dick’s experiences with drugs, and it is perhaps his most personal work – the last portion of the book is dedicated to the many friends he lost because of drugs, and he includes himself on the list as a casualty of the war fought in a society controlled by poisonous substances. In this world, there is not a war on drugs, but a war on drug users: they are the assailants and the victims, the spies and the subjects, and the pawns in a game played by the government, law enforcement, and nefarious corporations.

It is going to be hard for me to separate my total adoration for Philip K. Dick the author, and his book A Scanner Darkly, from my criticism of the film. A Scanner Darkly is one of the only books I have read more than a handful of times, and I consider it to be one of the best books I have ever read. I don’t just read PKD – I study him, his work, his ideas, his words and his themes. His prose sucks me in like no other, and I often find myself standing shoulder to shoulder with his characters as they begin to peel away the shifting layers of reality only to discover more layers and a deeper conspiracy.
Where most stories end, “the big reveal” you might say, Dick’s stories begin. His narratives are never concerned with a simple sleight of hand, or a single layer of non-truth – they are never as black and white as The Matrix. No, Dick’s stories are like onions, only the more layers peeled away the bigger the onion becomes. And ultimately, his books are about real human characters caught in the turmoil of situations totally beyond their control and reasoning - their realities exist just out of reach, lurking ghost-like behind the next shadow.

When I first heard that Linklater would be helming Scanner, I believed the film would be in good hands. Up until now, Linklater’s A Waking Life was, in regards to theme, the closest thing to a truly Phildickian film we’ve had. I then heard that the film would be made using a new breakthrough in Rotoscoping to create the imagery, and again I thought the decision was a brilliant one - to depict Dick’s hyper-realistic world through animation may be the only way to do it justice.
Dick’s books are never really “dark,” nor are they overly gritty, his worlds are much like our own, only slightly removed. His narratives are full of colorful settings, and vibrant characters, and as the images from the film started leaking onto the Internet I smiled with uncontrollable glee. There is something hauntingly ironic about Dick’s world being hyped-up online and created with real actors who are then manipulated by a computer - an irony that I am sure is not lost on good old Phil wherever he may be.

A Scanner Darkly is without a doubt the most faithful adaptation of Dick’s work ever filmed. In terms of tone and atmosphere, and of theme and character, Linklater and company hammered the proverbial nail on the head. PKD’s energy and creative prose ooze from every inch of the screen while the cast delivers spot-on representations of the characters lifted from the pages of the book. Scanner is simply a story about characters – the narrative is not action packed, and all of the tension and drama is derived from the personalities of the characters. The narrative’s focus is on the interaction between the characters, and how they relate to one another, detailing how each follows their own path towards self-destruction.

Keanu Reeves plays a perfectly confused Fred/Bob Arctor – the undercover drug dealer who suffers a complete mental breakdown because of the heinous side effects of Substance D, a new designer drug. Reeves plays the part without a need for much of a stretch, his dry and somewhat apathetic personality perfectly matches that of his on screen persona.
Backing him up is Winona Ryder, who, as Donna, a coked-out woman afraid of physical contact, plays Fred/Bob like a cheap piano. Among the other supporting characters is Woody Harrelson, who turns in a somewhat exaggerated performance (easily the worst of the bunch) as Luckman, and Rory Cochran as the schizophrenic Charles Freck, whose performance is delivered with twitch-like precision. However, amongst all of these actors, Robert Downey Jr.’s performance, as James Barris, is the stand out aspect of the entire film (no surprise here).

Downey, quite simply, is James Barris - it’s as if he was born to play this part. Or perhaps by some strange universal anomaly, PKD was able to see into the future and wrote the part with Downey specifically in mind, as the two seem to occupy the same mind and body. His mumbled and deadpan delivery offer up many of the film’s funniest moments – deliberating as to the whereabouts of his bicycle’s missing gears is a great example – and Downey’s performance also provides one of the saddest moments in the film. As Barris watches with superhuman-apathy while his friend dies on a kitchen floor, it is Downey’s great presence that exemplifies the devil’s own selfishness present in the character - a trait that motivates the characters and steers the narrative of the film along until it reaches its browbeaten conclusion.

A Scanner Darkly is not a film that glorifies drug use, or tries to bestow sympathy upon its characters. These players are volunteers in the war they are fighting, and in this war they know the outcome – they are all losers, there is no hope. The film expertly captures this tone. Even while the banter and verbal melee transpires between the characters, it is easy to see the sadness in their eyes, and the sadness made all the more tragic by their dire surroundings.
This tone and atmosphere is complemented by the bright colors and otherworldly feel made possible because of the finely crafted animation used to bring the world to life. While it would have been much easier to present the narrative using traditional live action footage, with a dark and grainy look to conjure the tone, Linklater and Richard Gordoa (director of animation) chose instead to represent the world with surreal images to create a state of hyper-realism coupled with nightmarish visions and dream-like surroundings.

However, not everything here can easily be defined as dream-like. Although the film is a true and wonderfully made adaptation of an amazing book, the question still remains: is it a good movie? This question is hard to answer, and I am afraid the inevitable answer is even harder for me to give.
As a film, and not an adaptation, I felt that there were too many moments that seemed to exist as little episodes without a connection to the overall narrative. Linklater deftly extracted the “best” bits and peices from PKD’s narrative, but he failed to connect many of these moments with a thread of cohesiveness. All too often I wondered if I would be enjoying the experience nearly as much if I had not already devoured every last word of prose from the book. Realistically I cannot answer this question, but I can make an educated guess and say, “no, I would not.”

Yes, I do believe there are many moments of brilliance scattered throughout this film, and the good does far outweigh the bad. However, these moments are just that – moments. Had Linklater worked on his script just a bit more and focused on the transitions between the great set pieces, we would have had a real winner – an awesome adaptation and an equally amazing film. We are, however, left with a mixed bag, a bag that is full of more positive than negative.
As an unwavering admirer of PKD, and of A Scanner Darkly, I was utterly blown away by the film, but my emotions were tainted with hindsight and a desire to see a truly great PKD adaptation on the silver screen. This side of my brain, the PKD hemisphere, is pleased beyond belief – I went in with high expectations, and left thoroughly satisfied. However, the other side of me easily realizes that as a stand alone film the experience could have been more cohesive and more engaging, with more attention paid to the transitions and not just to the individual moments.

I like to think that in some other dimension, in some other universe, Phil Dick is quietly smiling, saying to himself, “Someone finally got it right; they finally captured my prose on screen.” God knows that filmmakers have been trying, with various degrees of success and failure, to bring a truly Phildickian world to the silver screen for quite some time. I am thankful that Linklater finally did so with my personal favorite Dick work, and that everyone involved obviously had a great deal of respect for the original volume.

Well, I've just finished "Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch" and I'm still reeling from the mind boggling concepts touched upon in this book. Definitely one I will have to re-read at some point to more fully absorb.

Well, I've just finished "Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch" and I'm still reeling from the mind boggling concepts touched upon in this book. Definitely one I will have to re-read at some point to more fully absorb.

Totally. I've read it twice, and I definitely want to read it again.

Did you like it, or is it too early to tell?

I do think it is one of Dick's most interesting and well written novels.

I like it but the implications are still sinking in. Interesting it most definitely is.

Would it be a good place to start? I've been looking at reading Dick for a while now but can never make my mind up about which one to try.

Advice/comments appreciated.

Oh, why doesn't he have his own forum on here?

I've only read two PKD novels so I don't really know where a good place to start is.

As for PKD having his own sub-forum; an author only gets that when there's been enough threads specifically on that author to justify having a dedicated forum.

Oh, why doesn't he have his own forum on here?

I know - it's insane. I am constantly shocked at who, and who does not, have their own sub-forums. Very few (any?) new wave SF authors do, and it tends to be more fantasy. I think it's just the climate of the forum.

I could easily post a review for each PKD book I've read in a separate thread, but that would be silly.

A good place to start, eh?

I've been posting reviews in this thread, so you could read them and pick something that sounds interesting.

A few posts ago, I posted a rough, off the top of my head, top 10 - any of these are worth your time.

1. The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch - this is my favorite PKD book
2. UBIK
3. A Scanner Darkly
4. Martian Time Slip
5. Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said
6. The Divine Invasion
7. VALIS
8. Galactic Pot Healer
9. Dr. Bloodmoney
10. Time out of Joint
I started with Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep in the '80s after seeing Bladerunner, and then read A Scanner Darkly next.

What do you want: more traditional, or more experimental narratives?