The Terror - Dan Simmons

Switchback

Has anyone read this one yet? I LOVED the Hyperion books, and also the illium set. Plus, I'm a huge history buff, so this new book seems like it will appeal to me. I may head to the book shop today to add onto my to read pile, and was wondering if this one is worth a look? Thanks....

Urien

I bought this book two days ago, started reading it yesterday. It's a good read so far, very well researched.

Rane Longfox

Red Rane
I've heard nothing but good about it, and it's sitting on my bookshelf, though there a few others before it at the moment...

DeepThought

Mad crazy poet
It's definitely on my To-Buy-List, I've read all his Hyperion and Endymion books plus I absolutely loved his Ilium/Olympos duology. Famed for his use of intertext in his novels, a fact which inspired me to look into Authors/Poets the likes of Shakespear, Homer, Kafka, Proust, Keats etc. I've also read his A Song of Kali which is very good...One I haven't read but had been meaning to do so, Carrion Comfort; any body read this?

Cheers, DeepThought

clovis-man

Prehistoric Irish Cynic
One I haven't read but had been meaning to do so, Carrion Comfort; any body read this?
Simmons is like a different author when he ventures (quite frequently) into the gothic/horror scene. Carrion Comfort is appropriately creepy and a good read. Also recommend Summer of Night and Children of the Night. The latter is a better conceived take on the old vampire theme than the recent Kostova novel The Historian, IMHO, of course.

Jim

DeepThought

Mad crazy poet
Thanks for the recommendations, clovis-man. I'm going to look into Summer of Night and Children of the Night etc.

Cheers, DeepThought