Alternatives to Microsoft Word

Cayal

The Immortal Prince
For some reason my version of Microsoft Word says my document (story) is too long and cannot spell check, thus if i spell something wrong, the red line won't come up. Don't know why this is happening now but it just started.

Does anyone know of any alternative (free) similar type programs that will spell/grammar check?

Thanks.

Have you tried splitting it into chunks and doing each one individually, Jaire?
If that doesn't work, there are lots of other ones around - Spellex is one I've heard of somewhere.

Mind you, I haven't that much faith in them, anyway...invest in a good dictionary as well. For example, try spellchecking this...:D

Eye have a spelling chequer,
It came with my Pea Sea.
It plane lee marks four my revue
Miss Steaks I can knot sea.

Eye strike the quays and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am write oar wrong
It tells me straight a weigh.

Eye ran this poem threw it,
Your shore real glad two no.
Its vary polished in it's weigh.
My chequer tolled me sew.

A chequer is a bless thing,
It freeze yew lodes of thyme.
It helps me right all stiles of righting,
And aides me when eye rime.

Each frays come posed up on my screen
Eye trussed too bee a joule.
The chequer pours o'er every word
Two cheque sum spelling rule.

lol if I spell like that I would hang myself from the nearest tree limb.

I installed a 2003 version of Office and it did the same thing so I guess my story is just too long (only 202 pages though)

And me!
But Firefox's spellchecker says "No spelling errors were identified":rolleyes::D

Try Open Office's 'Writer' It is pretty much exactly the same as Word, except it's free and made by people who care :)

I don't have a link for you, but just search 'open office writer' on Google, and I'm sure it'll show up.

I installed a 2003 version of Office and it did the same thing so I guess my story is just too long (only 202 pages though)

If it's saying it's too long to spell check at 202 pages, there's something wrong in your settup. I've got stories that are 500+, and it's got no probs doing it. Check your checking spelling and grammar options ( tools / options / spelling and grammar, and the other tabs there) - sometimes if you have too many going all at once it will do this.