royal assassin (spoilers...but not really)

eligh

the Enigma
let me first start off by saying that i'm new to this site and looking forward to posting more.

I read book one. I enjoyed it. About 2/3s of the way through royal assassin and i must admit that i find it unbelievably disappointing. I've debated with myself over the last 30 pages whether or not i should just stop and put it down. But i've never done that. Every fantasy series i've ever started, whether i liked it or not, i finished. However, I just cant handle it anymore. The entire book so far has just been about Fitz complaining and whining.

Now i swear i'm not trying to be sexist, not sure if its because the books are written by a female or maybe perhaps since i've read GRRM, nothing compares anymore, but the jumbled emotional conflicts that all the male characters deal with are totally unrealistic. The only characters that seem genuine and authentic are the female ones. I have no idea why they're acting, behaving, and making certain decisions that defy logic.

So, while I may sound like I'M the one complaining now, i want to ask if i should even bother finishing the series? No doubt i'll probably finish book 2, but the third one at the moment is not appealing to me right now. I saw that one post titled "thoughts (spoilers)". I read 1 or 2 seconds and see basically what i feel with the series. Disappointment. Does it get any better or should i just stop?

Conan

Catalyst
Definetly finish the series. Royal Assassin may be slow, but it has its moments (and they're good moments), but the next book Assassins Quest is my favourite out of all Hobb books (except for Fools Errand).:D

eligh

the Enigma
yea for sure i'm gonna finish this book but...ehh i suppose i can finish the series. It does have its moments...but it seems to be 70% bad 30% good

My biggest problem is the main antagonist, Regal. I believe the entire second book is stupid in the sense that none of it should have ever happened. Immediately at the end of the first book i was disappointed. I said, "wait what? he's ALIVE? they're not gonna try him for treason, assassinate him, make him have an accident or anything? They're just gonna forgive and forget? Pretend it never happend?! regal tried to set things in motion and have verity killed!! It should have been over, he should have had an "accident" or at the very least been sent far away from the castle. It just doesnt make sense. The entire book i just cant believe he is alive and doing ****. I'm at the part where they're about to sneak the king away. It's just beyond me that he ever got put into the position to do this to the realm. And its not because robb is "gritty" and doesnt write happy-go-lucky fantasy. If regal was badass, smart and outschemed them, then i'd be all for it and be welcoming it. But on the contrary it's like they said "well, regal tried to kill the king-in-waiting...ahhhh but screw it, everything will be ok, he wont ever try anything sinister ever again" And dont give me because Shrewd didnt want him hurt. Yea maybe in some fairy tale that would have been obeyed, but when you're the brother that almost got killed...

i'm all for "bad stuff happening to good people". ASOIAF is the best series i've ever read, but with hobb its like "bad stuff happens to good people because the good people are totally stupid, let it happen to them, and then just cry/whine about how they cant do anything"

lol sorry for that rant, needed to get that off my chest i guess

Clownwalkin

The Clown
I think you are right on some aspects of this. Sometimes I am pretty frustrated with the absolutely idiotic choices that are made and Fitz's whining doesnt even stop when he is an adult in tawny man books. Although I sometimes cant stand him for his whining and stupidity he always seems to turn it around and do something amazing and somewhat redeem what you had been reading.
I