JANNY WURTS - Most under-recognized Fantasy author!

ROFLOL!!!:D Ross, you made my day. You're like, Mr. New Rabid Fan. You should check out her website, Trystane's Website: host for the Janny Wurts Offical Webpage and the Don Maitz Official Webpage. Good bunch there, but don't let it cut into your Chron time.

P.S. How'd you like the scene in front of the gates of Jaelot, with Dakar and Faerie Toes?

I actually laughed out loud a bit at that. My workmate actually had to come check what I was laughing about. Dakar is awesome:D The guy just doesn't care at all.

"Oh my," cried Dakar, stiflinga chortle. "Your wife's nose must look like a pudding if that's your reaction to her kisses"

"Leave him alone, Faery-toes, Your affection's a wee bit misplaced. You know this fellow you're undressing's about as nice as a hawk-pecked snake."

What a guy:D lol

And Arithon/Medlir is still brilliant:D

*Abstains from comments, for Clanny (as usual) has already outlined the path, and Arithon's character development from here on out is so good that it ought not to be spoiled by any comments on the later parts of Ships of Merior or the subsequent books.*

Read on, Ross, but don't get fired!:D:eek:

Oh, and give us your take on Ivel when you finish the book, if you would...

Oh, and if you posted it, I think I've forgotten, Ross; did you get the M-A-S-S-I-V-E Ships of Merior, or the one without Warhost of Vastmark?

Last edited:
I always assumed that female authors write slow boring soppy stories, but I guess I am wrong.

Common misconception about female authors. There are several who don't fall into this trap. However, neither do they totally ignore relationships. There are romantic plot lines in the series, but they are rather secondary in nature, as opposed to the over-riding theme, and there is only one continuous relationship that receives any attention of note. The only other one fails relatively early on. There is no romance in To Ride Hell's Chasm at all, and that is a bit of a minor spoiler, but worth the mentioning.

I will have to say that Elaira looks to be just about the perfect woman, though.

*Abstains from comments, for Clanny (as usual) has already outlined the path, and Arithon's character development from here on out is so good that it ought not to be spoiled by any comments on the later parts of Ships of Merior or the subsequent books.*

Oh, and if you posted it, I think I've forgotten, Ross; did you get the M-A-S-S-I-V-E Ships of Merior, or the one without Warhost of Vastmark?

I bought them seperate:D

Just read past the bit where Arithon uses the Lyranthe and releases the sixth lane resonance:D

That was a brilliant scene too:)

Hey Grim, Ross is in the UK. The big b*****d was only available in North America (got meself a nice autographed copy of it too!!!). In the UK, they split the publication.

Hey Grim, Ross is in the UK. The big b*****d was only available in North America (got meself a nice autographed copy of it too!!!). In the UK, they split the publication.

Bet that's good:D

Canada and Maryland?

Canada is the home of a few of my favourite women and Maryland is the home of my favourite all time woman. lol. Or is when she stays with the parents:p

I know you profess that computers mystify you, Clanny, but, regarding the big b*****d, would it help if I said I - N - T - E - R - N - E - T? After all, were hard back covers of Stormed Fortress available over here? Yet I am in possession of one such, and I didn't pick it up (as you know!) at the local Barnes and Noble.....

Doesn't even have to be that direct; Ships has been out long enough that someone (*Gasp!*) could have done the unthinkable and sold their big b*****d to a Used Books Store. I'm guessing, given the recency, that you're right, and that you, Ross, ordered it from UK Stock, but there's more than one way to skin an iyat!;)

Where in Md., Ross? It's not a huge state...

I know you profess that computers mystify you, Clanny, but, regarding the big b*****d, would it help if I said I - N - T - E - R - N - E - T? After all, were hard back covers of Stormed Fortress available over here? Yet I am in possession of one such, and I didn't pick it up (as you know!) at the local Barnes and Noble.....

Doesn't even have to be that direct; Ships has been out long enough that someone (*Gasp!*) could have done the unthinkable and sold their big b*****d to a Used Books Store. I'm guessing, given the recency, that you're right, and that you, Ross, ordered it from UK Stock, but there's more than one way to skin an iyat!;)

Where in Md., Ross? It's not a huge state...

If i was to get it i'd prefer to get a signed copy haha:p

And where in Md. I'm not quite sure. I did know but I forgot.

Re the signed copy, me too, Ross!

*Eyes Clanny's signed copy and goes slack-jawed with envy*

Maybe I'll make it to Dragoncon next year and get her to sign some there.....*continues dreaming*

I always assumed that female authors write slow boring soppy stories, but I guess I am wrong.

if its any balance my experiences of female writes is that they are (with out a doubt) pure evil!
Just look at what Hobb puts Fitz and Nevear (SP) through
Just look at what comes up in Anne Bishops writing (definatly not for the under teens)
and then there is the very different and powerful take in Companions to Wolves - written by 2 female authors.

Female authors are definatly not challenged in the writing game and can write as much action, blood and darkness as the males (and might even be more sinister in what they come up with ;))

I'm about 20pages from finishing. Should I expect to see him again because except from the barrel incident;) he isn't in it much. He definately deserves a virtual oscar just for that:D

Since this was the first Wurtsian thread, started up last February, the announcement might best be put here.

Harper Collins London, through its affiliate Trafalgar Square, is the new North American publisher for The Wars of Light and Shadow and To Ride Hell's Chasm. They have signed on to the whole Wars series, so we need not fear a publishing interruption again. Also, we in North America will, ostensibly, get the books at the same time as our fellow UK import fans in Australia and New Zealand.

I love the way that the series will be re-released in North America, namely one book a month, starting with Curse of the Mistwraith in May, 2009, in anticipation of the release of the book Wurts is currently writing, namely Sword of the Canon: Initiate's Trial. It is really great for new readers, because so much of the series will be available to read immediately, and there are only three books left (alas!), with one to be out in about a year.

Super glad that these books are back on North American shelves, and that one publisher now has control over all English language releases. The Canucks and the Yanks will no longer be the starving cousins!

Unless, of course, said Canucks and Yanks be in the same boat that we are, Clanny, and are starving for Initiate's Trial....hoping for Janny's sake that the "boat" is AT LEAST a flotilla of boats the size of the Queen Mary II, and crammed to the gills with passengers.....

Janny reports that the rights for an audio edition of WoLaS have been signed, but are not in the works just yet. Wonder who they're looking at to read 'em?

EDIT: Posted the question before I saw the other conjecture on Trys' site. Still, 'tis a ping pong ball we might happily bat around here, too!:D

Managed to read some more of Warhost of Vastmark today, finally. Been un-well and i've had a monster headache for over a week so it put me off reading.

But now i'm back, baby!:D Only 18 pages left.

I actually got scared about what happened with Dakar when he saved Arithon's life because I remember someone saying Janny doesn't do Hollywood endings, so I though "oh no, don't do that Janny". Gladly, my fears didn't last long:D

Does she get better? Cos right now she's awesome.

Yo, Ross! Watch the spoilers, man, because this is not a spoiler thread.

My fellow horsemen would gladly welcome you starting a Ships and Warhost spoiler thread, though. We have the Curse thread, so a Ships/Warhost thread is a logical next step. Might as well keep them together, as they read as one book anyway, which is what was intended in the first place, as I recall.

Just put "SPOILERS" in the title of the thread.

And yes, it gets better. Thank the Almighty that you get to read The Alliance of Light story arc from beginning to end. I spent about 10 years on that sucker, waiting for each successive volume, and then groaning in anguish when Meisha Merlin went down when Stormed Fortress was almost done. Prepare for socks to be blown off, especially towards the end of arc.

It wasn't exactly a spoiler though.

I haven't said when, how, why etc so I wouldn't really count it as one:D I did actually think about the spoiler thing:D

Wasn't sure whether it should have gone in the curse thread or not.