2.06: Reset

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
Captain Jack calls in Martha Jones to investigate mysterious deaths. When the trail leads to a sinister medical-testing centre, Martha must go undercover. But has Torchwood underestimated how far the testing centre will go to find medical breakthroughs? And how safe are the members of Torchwood?

Adam followed by... something interesting. Not as good, but still good. I liked the addition of Martha, if just for the references to *points to the heavens* The Doctor. And it's interesting that Martha is now working for UNIT... which makes me wonder if the next DW series will involve a run-in with them, but that can go in another thread.

As for the episode itself, I was reminded of the first Tenant episode of Doctor Who, in which he and Rose go to New Earth and stumble into the strange Cat hospital where they kept people bred with every single disease known to... cat. Except the TW episode was much more adult about it, if only with the much more high-tech cells for each alien.

And just two [quite relevant] words on the extremely surprising ending: "Bloody hell". Well, more than two words: "Bloody hell! I didn't see that coming".

Oh, and before I forget, there was one thing that made me laugh out loud. It involved Ianto (boviously), but I can't remember which part it w...ait! That's it! When Owen was demonstrating his toy to Martha. "lol".

Was great how Inato was so composed immediately after shouting "yeaaaargh". Really do love his character.

That said, I'd have expected Martha to have more of an effect on him, what with her looking exactly like his dead ex.

Owens second attempt at using his toy was more fun :)

Tosh is too good for him.

Actually, I thought this was one of the best episodes. I always expected 'Torchwood' to be a kind of 'Department S' or an 'X-Files' for the 21st Century, and I think it achieved it here. It used all the elements that had been already set up to their best advantage. My only problem was with that alien device, never seen before this episode, but which just happened to be able to remove the larvae.

'Jim Robinson' never struck me as an evil villain, though he is quite nasty in 'Lost'. He didn't seem worried by Torchwood, but I thought Martha might have mentioned that she worked for UNIT. Surely, that might have spooked him a little?

As for Owen. I never expected that, but I did kind of predict it in another thread:
Originally Posted by Dave
When Martha is introduced (she also being a Doctor of Medicine) will Owen be taking on a different team role (Sexual Therapist?) or is he heading for a nasty end? (I do hope so!)
Unfortunately, I was starting to warm to him this Season.

Another good call about Martha looking like Ianto's dead cyber-ex. They still have a lot of work to do in this show with continuity,

Another good call about Martha looking like Ianto's dead cyber-ex. They still have a lot of work to do in this show with continuity,

I don't see the resemblence, myself. Here is a picture of Caroline Chikezie who played Lisa:

Okay, not such a good call then. ;) In my defence, it was very late and I was thinking of Martha's 'sister' who worked for Torchwood London (which is would still need addressing) but had nothing to do with Ianto.

Okay, not such a good call then. ;) In my defence, it was very late and I was thinking of Martha's 'sister' who worked for Torchwood London (which is would still need addressing) but had nothing to do with Ianto.

Must be early Dave, it was her "cousin" who worked in Torchwood London ;)

As for last night's episode, I thought it was ace and I totally didn't see Owen kicking the bucket... apparently it was common knowledge though because blokee, who never watches TW, already knew he was going to die... :confused:

I am really enjoying this series, I enjoyed the first series though so maybe my opinion doesn't count here!!! :D

xx

Whoever she was, she looked a lot like Martha, but I didn't start this, it was Kostmayer's comment. I try to avoid spoilers if I can, but as Lucien has pointed out in the 'Owen' thread, the titles of the next two episodes alone might give you cause to think again about what Blokee says. ;)

Seems it was me who made the bad call - don't know why but I always thought Inato's ex was Martha's dead cousin from Torchwood London.

Was good to see Jim Robinson back in action, though he's one of those actors who seems to play the same character in everything he does - or at least someone with the same character traits.

Didn't see the ending coming either. Of course, they put Jack too far away to get in the way instead. For Owen to do something like that a day or so after meeting her was an interesting character point, either he really has the hots for her, or sees how much she and Jack mean to each other.

Heard that someone on set called Alan Dale 'Jim', but he just laughed it off as it happens all the time! At least his character didn't die of a heart attack in this ep (as he so often has!).
I thought that he gave the character an undertone of menace, rather than being evil which made it better. He was either misguided into treating the aliens as dumb animals, or perhaps didn't care, and was willing to do anything to make money, even if it meant killing Martha.

My wife is distraught, her little pug faced Owen! What a shame but I can confirm he's not gone for good. All I can say right now without spoiling too much is watch for a wooden trunk.

Fine episode not the best but still good, wasnt too keen on Martha this episode, she felt .....wooden a bit stilted maybe.

UNIT will feature in DR Who, something to do with the much publicised Sontaran invasion for Season 4. Oh and actually UNIT appeared in "Aliens of London", well ok they were mentioned only :)

Just seen it. Not crazy about it and I think Freema had a lot of trouble with the dialogue; she didn't convince me.

Totally surprised by the end even though I'd half remembered a spoiler from here but if you guys are right then Burn Gorman did some of his best acting in Torchwood De-classified straight after and Russell T. is a damn good liar!

Mary

Enjoyed last night's episode. Good to see Martha back, on screen eventhough not in Dr. Who; much preferred her to Rose.

Didn't see Owen's death coming at all! Boo hoo!

Suppose Russell had to kill of the only regular male heterosexual character though.

Do you think Owen and Jude Law's Character in A.I. were separated at birth?

Hmm. I think Martha should be more annoyed with the Dr than she is.

Poor Owen :( He actually had a personality this series, so it is a shame.

and your assuming Owens going to STAY dead??? me thinks a resurection plot will be on the cards

It was a pretty efficient despatch: bullet to the heart. Takes quite a bit of coming back from!

Ah, but when you've got alien tech that's a full series and a half old, well, anything's possible... no? :rolleyes:

Personally I can't see him finishing the series or appearing in later ones. Maybe the next two episodes, judging by their titles, but no more. Which is a shame, because I was really warming to him. Well, warming to him more than I had.

EDIT: Actually, only similar tech, thinking about it. The first bit was shot to pieces, I think.

Hmmm. So they killed the weasel faced rapist huh? If they put Gwen through a combine harvester I might actually start to watch this show again...

Well in the first episode of the first series, he uses an alien pheremone to get a girl into bed. Which to my mind is using drugs to obtain consent that would not otherwise be given i.e rape.