2.05: Adam

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
An alien with the power to change memories infiltrates Torchwood, can the team save themselves before it's too late? With Captain Jack caught up in memories of his lost family, and Gwen struggling to remember Rhys, it takes Jack's love of Ianto to reveal the truth. But there's always a price to pay.

An amazingly good episode.

The acting was top notch (well, the children were a bit... strange) and the story was very good - I particularly enjoyed a look at Jack's... erm... I wonder if "past" is the right word for future events? :rolleyes: I liked his house, too - very nice pad.

One thing that does get me, though, is the fact that there's a very good chance we won't learn any more about Adam's wooden box.

Oh, and two things I noticed:

1. The number of blood samples when Jack was searching for Adam's. I assume that they're samples of Torchwood employees blood... but why so many? Surely there's no need to keep past employees samples after they've died?

2. Rhys' arm/chest. In the last TW thread, I think I said something (or at least, meant to, if I didn't) about not knowing the time that passes between each episode. Anyone any idea how long it takes for a bullet wound to fully heal?

When I saw the castle on the beach, it just made me think of Bamburgh. I'd like to know more about Jack and the 'Silver Nemesis' mentioned in 'Dr Who'. There was no description here of the aliens that attacked them, or why. Jack appeared to be the only survivor.

That's a good call about Rhys' injuries. It is possible that there has been a long gap since the last episode. It seems that Torchwood only have work to do when the Rift opens, and that the openings are very irregular.

Rhys is actually a valuable member of the team. They didn't use him, but he is the one person who has the real memories of those two days, and the previous three years which have been imprinted on them

I'd also like to know more about the wooden box. I liked the sand falling out of it - a clever touch.

These episodes are so much better than last year.

Jack appeared to be the only survivor.

Ah, his mother was a ghost, then. :rolleyes: :p

Don't be forgetting the fella from episode 1 and his final comment "I've found Grey" (not Greg, Grey. Whoever posted it as Greg in the first thread had it wrong. Tut!) which makes three, at least. We don't know if the fella from the first episode was there, so I'm not counting him as a survivor.

Anyone thinking "Stargate SG-1'" episode "The Fifth Man"? [Though it was a pretty decent episode... roll on Martha Jones (for those without BBC3)]

On reflection, I think the 'cuckoo in the nest' story was probably an older one even than 'Stargate'. 'Star Trek', which has done every story possible, at least once, had the TNG episode 'Conundrum' in the fifth Season.

This did have some interesting other ideas that made it much more than those. The being living off memories, and the insights we got into Jack's future past.

This was the first Torchwood episode that I've sat down and watched seriously for a while, and I was surprised. It was pretty good, and I actually enjoyed watching it. It'll be interesting to see if the others follow the same trend.

I knew that I'd seen the "cuckoo in the nest" scenario in recent tv sci-fi, but I couldn't place it until you mentioned SG1's The Fifth Man. I'm sure it's been in others, too, but that one sticks in the mind (possibly because I've watched it recently.)

I knew that I'd seen the "cuckoo in the nest" scenario in recent tv sci-fi, but I couldn't place it until you mentioned SG1's The Fifth Man. I'm sure it's been in others, too, but that one sticks in the mind (possibly because I've watched it recently.)

It made me think of Buffy.......the sudden appearance of Dawn as Buffy's sister, that no-one watching had seen before, yet the cast took in their stride.

Putting all thoughts of 'seen this before' out of my head, I really liked this episode. It seems that this series is shaping up to be pretty darned good, considering the slating that the last series got.

Liked the fact that we learned more about Jacks' past, fleshing out the character, the tortured soul that he is.
I'm also assuming that when Adam disappeared back into nothingness, that all memories he altered would revert to their original state, meaning his last act of disrupting Jacks' last happy memory of his family was futile, given that he would have known that Jack was going to Retcon himself anyway.

I have to say that the city on the Boeshane Peninsula looked very futuristic-Bauhaus from a distance, but slightly Mediterranean up close, although still no idea where the Peninsula is, no planet named yet. Is it in or anywhere near The Silver Devastation (home to Boekind)?

My initial thoughts in response were that Jack was purposely reliving the memory, whereas everyone else had it forced upon them... but then it begs the question, how did Adam manage to get into the relived memory? Could it have anything to do wit the fact that Adam came to Earth specifically to find Jack? I can't remember all he said, but he was raving that it was Jack's complex mind that he wanted, right? But still... I was half expecting him to poke his fingers through the air-holes in the viewing window whenever Jack leaned in. :p

If Adam has been left out of the rest of the series, which looks to be centering on Jack and his past, then it will be a massive mistake on the part of the producers. To me, there's a lot more to Adam than meets the eye, and to not delve deeper into it would be foolish.

---

Another question to add to Mary's - why did Jack see his Dad and Grey standing around? Something that wasn't explained at all, that is if it is related solely to Adam. If related to something entirely different, I'd like to know why it happened. To use it simply as a plot device is crazy.

But still... I was half expecting him to poke his fingers through the air-holes in the viewing window whenever Jack leaned in.

You too?:D I was shouting "Get Away From The Air-holes You Idiot" at Jack...:rolleyes: