1. A community of fans, aspiring writers, and published novelists, we are the world's largest - and friendliest! - science fiction and fantasy forums.

Registration is free, and we regularly give away free books and DVDs.

So why not join now and meet people with similar interests and tastes in books, movies, and TV?

Dismiss Notice

The Man Who Was Thursday, opinions

Discussion in 'Classic SF&F' started by Tanegashima, Feb 13, 2008.

Tanegashima

Tanegashima New Member

working, going to college (u. of la verne), I also
    This may sound really nerdy, but it doesn't matter much here I 'spose:

Almost ten years ago, a gem of a pc game came out called Deus Ex. Great sci-fi thriller game etc. The game had excerpts from novels throughout (and an homage to The Stars My Destination. Anywho, one of the excerpts was from a novel The Man Who Was Thursday. The excerpt caught my interest then, saw the book at the store today, and bought it, finally. Any opinions about it?

iansales

iansales Active Member

It's classic GK Chesterton, but not at all science fiction.

j d worthington

j d worthington Moderator Staff Member

It was also included in the Ballantine Adult Fantasy Series. It is a very good novel, quite a rich experience. Well worth reading...

Teresa Edgerton

Teresa Edgerton Goblin Princess Staff Member

Like Charles William's books, it's sometimes classified as a metaphysical thriller (whatever that is) rather than fantasy, but it's much more surrealistic than Williams.

Anyway, it's a marvelous book.

GOLLUM

GOLLUM Moderator Staff Member

HMMM...I bought this one recently, looks like I'll have to promote it in my current TBR pile from #500 to #100...;)

j d worthington

j d worthington Moderator Staff Member

I don't think you'll be disappointed, Mr. G. Just remember the title (with subtitle): The Man Who Was Thursday: A Nightmare. That it is... but not in quite the way one might expect.....:D

Lobolover

Lobolover Active Member

Not my thing,Chesterton is kinda too witty for me.

BAYLOR

BAYLOR There Are Always new Things to Learn.

Great book, but I still cannot understand what the ending is about. :unsure:

Randy M.

Randy M. Active Member

I loved Chesterton's Father Brown stories when I was a teen, but The Man... didn't evoke that joy for me. I was pleased to have read it, but did not share the delight of other readers I've run across.

I'd like to ask a question about it, though: When I recently reread Robert Heinlein's "The Unpleasant Profession of Jonathan Hoag" I was surprised to realized it paralleled Chesterton's novel. Can anyone think of other works that parallel The Man ...?

Thanks,
    Randy M.

Ray McCarthy

Ray McCarthy Editing, Proofing, Publishing.

"The Prisoner" TV series, but only sort of.
    I'm still digesting it. It's on quite a different level to Father Brown (though those are totally straight detective stories).

Quite a contrast to Conrad's "The Secret Agent"

The only thing close in twisted loyalties, very much darker is Le Carre's "The Looking Glass War." (Or am I thinking about "The Spy that came in from the Cold")

Extollager

Extollager Well-Known Member

Teresa is right on target in mentioning Charles Williams. Do get hold of the thought-provoking, audacious romp The Place of the Lion!