Todd MacCaffrey

Princess Ivy

Damsel in this dress
Ms MacCaffrey's son Todd has taken the baton from his mother with regard to the dragon riders of Pern series, and with her blessing, and occasional help released one book (Dragon Kin) with a second (Dragon Blood) due for release this year.
I've not as yet been able to get a copy, but i'd be interested to hear the thoughts of anyone who has managed, and read one of these books.

There is a heck of a lot of fanfic surounding the maccaffrey works, should one of those authors maybe have been given a shot? does it work with todd writing, annes style is very deffinate and positive, and feminine (although the work does appeal accross the spectrum), how will the masculine perspective affect the work?

I have not been able to get a hold of these new books. But if I'm correctly informed Todd already did a Pern book as Anne's co-author... Or was Dragon Kin that book???

But whatever happens, I'm sure any future Pern books will keep the standard. Anne McCaffrey has (long ago) taken steps to assure that. For example, the fanficdom of the Pern books is very ... regulated i.e. nothing about Lessa and Co. and Ruatha may be used in there... or so I have heard.
:)

Todd MacCaffrey did indead co-author with his mother on Dragon Kin. The continiutity across the broad spectrum is good, its in the small details, such as mixing up names and getting the wrong colour dragon that ms maccaffrey is known and loved for. as a whole, the series of events is pretty continuous in flow.
As for fan fics, there are fan fics, and unsanctioned fan fics. so many were written in conjunction with the KTL and according to guidelines set up, however others were written completely independantly of the official website and rules governing fans. My point is, that there are many fans, with serious talent (i'm not thinking of myself, i have no wish to plagerise anothers ideas) that i was wondering if a more dedicated person would not have been more suited to taking the quill

As for dragon kin, i don't know much about it. i've not found a copy, and as its only been in hard covre to date, its a subject that most official sites have declared it a taboo subject untill more fans have been able to read it and take part.

The biggest continuity problems arose with a single book, as far as I know: The Masterharper of Pern. There's even a review of it somewhere around this site that points that out. As I've never read it...

Sorry, Ivy, I didn't get it right away what you wanted to say about fanfic authors in your first post. And I agree wholeheartedly. I have made the same experience in another fandom. We were/are fans of a TV series and there is one person who got to write a book with the series characters. I was sooo happy when I found in the local library and soooo disappointed when I found out that at least half the fanfic authors had better writing styles and better characterization. (And better story ideas) :D

I must admit, Dragon Drums and the Master Haper of Pern are the only two of the chronicles that aren't in my personal library. I've read both, but years ago. It may be that Robintons story was the worst in her continuity line, although i don't remember to man incosistancies. the books were a bit half hearted, i felt. rather that she was pandering to requests from fans than a genuine interest in telling the stories of Robinton or Piemur.

Her continuity issues tend to span entire series, rather than individual books.
eg: tower and hive sequence, at the end of the pegasus portion, peter reidinger builds Calisto station, but in the Rowan (several hundred years later) calisto station is very new OR in the first pern book, Dragon Quest the oldtime leader is T'ron, but in the second book he is T'ton. that sort of thing. Part of the problem is that she so often starts a series in the middle, then writes till the end. afterwards, she goes back and writes the begining.
But appart from being a littly bit perplexing to new readers, the work has such grace and charm that fans tend to consider it an eccentricity, rather like tolkiens long descriptions or star trek continuity issues. Its recognised, but accepted as an endearing quirk.

**************SPOILERS**********************

I've just finished Dragons Kin. I think anne kept a firm hand in. Although the usual innocence was there, this seemed very contrived. Also, where i'd been hoping for a continuation of the Skies of Pern, and discovering more of Torics plotting with the abominatros, as well as news of the dragon riders after thread, this book is set at the end of the second interval. Dragons barely feature (except on the very perifery), instead the story concerns a watch wyer. barely mentioned in other stories, and hardly as interesting as a dragon. Possibly young todd felt a bit squeemish of tackling dragons on his first outing? The next book is to be set in the third pass. will have to wait and see.

There's a book I've been trying to get ahold of by Todd called Dragonholder. It's supposed to be more of a memoir of Anne's work than an actual work of fiction. Apparently is a bit hard to find though. I found a copy at Amazon for £107! I also found a 1st edition on ebay right now for about $28US, but there's still a few more days to go before that ends.

Has anyone here read the book? Is it worth paying the premium for aside from filling the gap in my collection? Anyone know where I might be able to find a used copy for a modest sum?

Thanks! :)

i've not heard of it. so sorry couldn't give any advice on it. would depend on your pov regarding that sort of book. me, i'd avoid it like the plague:)

I have dragon kin but have not yet read it. Lily ABE books is supposed to be a great resource. I myself do not shop online but I have friends who love that site.

I read the book, I have to admit I was dissapointed. It just seemed a little too predictable, but the talent is definetely there. Todd obviously has potential otherwise I don't think Anne would let him take over her series, I will give him another chance though, I hope Dragonsblood is better.

it seems tha tshe kept her restrictions in place, no mention of lessa or F'lar or the others there.
btw: HI

Anthony, Maccaffrey, Eddings, Adams Pratchet, Tepper, Roberts, Holdstock and quite a few others that i'm to lazy to think of right now:D
always nice to meet another anne fan, although for me the tower and hive and pegaus sequenses are my fave. I like dragons, don't get me wrong, i've read all of them and own all of them except that dreadfull master harper one, but the rowan is my fave, with the others in the series also being very good.

I still have a long reading list, but I am fairly familiar with some of those authors, the reason I was asking about Piers Anthony was because of your user name. :p

nicely spotted, yes, i'm named for the princess with the magical talent of enhancement;)

Apart from Dragonholder and Dragonkin, which I have not been able to find a yet, I have enjoyed all of Anne's books and enjoyed every one! Even Master Harper! :)
This is another series I am trying to collect, for if I remember rightly I donated them to my Library when I had finished reading them:eek:
I might not have much room left in the bookcase but these books are, as I look back, a wonderful series.

I am certainly looking forward to reading Todd's publications and just hope I won't keep comparing his way of writing to that of his mothers!