Bizarre new mammal discovered

Oh, not bad for a Earth sea cow or a miniature elephant!

A new mammal, not a new bug! This is not common.

Nice to see a new discovery which is not an insect ;)
interesting creature -- I wonder though, some areas - like the congo and areas of the amazon - are still very understudied -- who knows what wonders hide within?

.....It is reassuring that they haven't discovered everything yet.

.....RVM45 :cool:

Interesting stuff. Almost restores my faith in the continuation of life on the planet!;)

Very interesting looking mammal indeed! I wonder how many left out there... Thanks for posting the good news, Tal, it does cheer one up!.:)

Giant Elephant Shrew...

Um, looks a bit like some of the over-bred Siamese cats I've seen at shows...

I wonder if a Giant Elephant Shrew could be litter-trained ?? It would make a change from hamsters, whether Golden or Siberian...

This is indeed good news Talysia, thank you. The mammal I hope isn't on the brink of extinction. It's snout looks similar to that of a Numbat, a lovely animal here in Western Australia.

As to the bird, only 500 left :( Hopefully it will now be a protected species.

.....It is reassuring that they haven't discovered everything yet.

.....RVM45 :cool:
Oh, there's a good way to go yet....:D
To date, taxonomists have identified less than two million distinct species, mostly mammals and birds. But it's estimated that the number of undiscovered species—primarily fish, fungi, insects, and microbes—ranges from ten million to more than one hundred million. Even at the low estimate, it's an enormous number.
Team Races to Catalog Every Species on Earth - National Geographic