Is there gonna be a Magneto movie?

As I've said, I always like Gambit, and I think in a perfect world he would easily be able to carry his own movie. Easily. If he was written as he was when he first appeared in the X-Men, it would be a breeze (as long as they had the right actor playing him).

Unfortunately his handling has not been good over the last few years, using him for shock developments rather than on the strength of his character. The same could be true of Wolverine, but then he was handled fairly well in the first two movies (and the way Jackman is talking the next Wolvie movie could be more to my liking.)

I always felt that when handled properly it was hard to touch Wolverine as the best of the X-Men, but my initial thought, all those years ago when Gambit first appeared was this could be a real challenger!

Maybe we should start a 'why Gambit should get a film' thread. ;) I still think he's more popular than Deadpool, and yet Deadpool gets one.

Gambit could easily hold his own on the silver-screen, he has a large following consisting of female comic book lovers, and then you have a significant group of males like me, who during their childhood days were busy throwing play cards at random strangers with the catchphrase: The name is Gambit, remember it!, before running away. I always liked his backstory, and a movie about him, the Thieves & Assassins Guilds, Mr Sinister and Bella, would make for a great cinema experience if it was handled well, a sequel could be made based on his time with the Marauders.

To be honest all of these X-men movies are a real disappointment in my opinion, they lack the magic of the comics or even the 90s cartoon. They need to stick to the source material, and stop forcing ugly costumes on us, what's wrong with the original ones? Can you imagine a movie about Spiderman without his iconic costume? Batman without his mask? Superman without his red cape? You can't, it would be an abomination(unless its based on a specific storyline that warrants it), yet Wolverine's iconic costume was thrown in the bin, not even the awesome mask with the black points were retained, this really pissed me off eleven years ago, sitting as a 13 year old in the cinema watching the first film, and it pissed me off again when watching the Origins one.

I might watch this new one, but I think saving all of these 100m+ budgets and combining them into a large pool for an Onslaught movie would be EPIC kickass.

I agree with everything said - in the last interview read with Hugh Jackman, he said that he was looking at a more adult closer to the roots type story... and there was mention of the mask being worn... however it would not be the first time you hear a star talking up a movie before anything is even signed and getting the same old fodder at the end of the day, if they even make it

Maybe we should start a 'why Gambit should get a film' thread. ;) I still think he's more popular than Deadpool, and yet Deadpool gets one.

Deadpool has also had his own comics for a while too, though. He has a following entirely apart from the X-Men. His movie is scheduled for 2012 so as far as I know there are no trailers for it yet, but if I had to guess I'd say his movie will have cameos of known X-Men but will otherwise try to steer clear of them to develop Deadpool as his own character.

I agree with everything said - in the last interview read with Hugh Jackman, he said that he was looking at a more adult closer to the roots type story... and there was mention of the mask being worn... however it would not be the first time you hear a star talking up a movie before anything is even signed and getting the same old fodder at the end of the day, if they even make it

Yes I read a while back that the new one might be focused on Logan's time in Japan, and include the cool Silver Samurai. However I think it's simply weakness on his part for not pursuading the producers to retain Wolverine's mask in the Origins film, the guy is an A-list actor, and had already played the role three times, plenty of clout there.

He does a plausible Logan, but that's where it ends. The mask is what always transformed Logan to Wolverine and set the two apart in my opinion; it's when he put on the mask that his humanesque mutant side disappeared and the real animal came to the foreground. This is why I appreciate actors like Heath Ledger(Rip) & Christian Bale, they might take their own roles a bit to serious, but what they deliver on the screen has the same kind of magic you experience reading the characters specific comics or watching the cartoons. Bale would have put on the mask, no doubt, and if Jackman doesn't in the next movie then he sucks BIG TIME. :D

wizard-wolverine-xmen.jpg

Though the above is his X-men attire, this one below would be more Canon:

best-superhero-costumes-in-the-world-wolverine-xme1.jpg

And I could respect something like this:

1369393-xforce_18_legion_cps_010_super.jpg

But i'm just a fan, who cares what I think? :(

I'd like to see him wear the mask when he's working with the X-Men, it's a part of the costume and to me the costume is all about the team unity, but I think the time for that is past. He should have been wearing it all along with the possible exception of the very first movie when they just give him a random jumpsuit. After he's officially part of the team his costume should absolutely include the mask. Origins, however, is a different matter entirely. They didn't want to portray Wolverine as being part of a team, but as a lone-wolf type character, which I feel he instinctively is. I'd have to disagree with you, Yog, on the point that the mask is what transforms him from Logan to Wolverine. I think the only real difference between the two is that Logan maintains (or at least attempts to) control over himself and his emotions while Wolverine is almost empowered by a complete lack of self control.

BTW is that last pic an Age of Apocalypse Wolverine? It's pretty badass looking.

I was really pleased Wolverine wasn't wearing the yellow in the films. Same as I was pleased Gambit wasn't wearing the pink. Was not impressed with Gambit's coat though.

The last pic is from the recent X-Force series, and the currently running Uncanny X-Force.

When it comes to the mask there is no reason for it to determine the difference between Wolverine and Logan, although Logan only took the name Wolverine when he became an active superhero.

I think a lot of the most iconic images of the character have come with him wearing the mask.

That being said perhaps one of the best stories told featuring the character is Weapon X, drawn by Barry Windsor Smith, in that he's never referred to anything other than Weapon X, and yet it is the most perfect Wolverine imagery I've ever seen. (The same can be said of a story Windsor Smith drew from the ongoing X-Men title a few years earlier)

4406957385_d3d2fd63b0.jpg

4407725142_32b4845d32.jpg

Guys, I did say:

The mask is what always transformed Logan to Wolverine and set the two apart in my opinion; it's when he put on the mask that his humanesque mutant side disappeared and the real animal came to the foreground.

:)