Is there gonna be a Magneto movie?

There was (is) talk of it, but I haven't heard anything recently.

It is a working title here is little info that they do have, since I cannot post a link. Go to IMDB and you will see it is due to be released in 2011

What I've heard (keep in mind that this is from back when the Wolverine movie came out) is that Xmen Origins: Magneto was supposed to be the next movie, but I haven't heard anything since the last one came out. Right now IMDB has nothing on it, which doesn't necessarily mean anything.

In other news, I've heard that a movie based on Deadpool is in production. If they don't butcher the storyline like they did in Wolverine's movie, this could be GREAT. Deadpool was always my favorite character in the X-men comics, with Gambit coming in a close 2nd.

What I've heard (keep in mind that this is from back when the Wolverine movie came out) is that Xmen Origins: Magneto was supposed to be the next movie, but I haven't heard anything since the last one came out. Right now IMDB has nothing on it, which doesn't necessarily mean anything.

In other news, I've heard that a movie based on Deadpool is in production. If they don't butcher the storyline like they did in Wolverine's movie, this could be GREAT. Deadpool was always my favorite character in the X-men comics, with Gambit coming in a close 2nd.

As far as I am aware, Magneto has been put on indefinite hold, replaced by the forthcoming X-Men First Class (with Michael Fassbender as Magneto) The trailer has just started doing the rounds on YoueTube:

YouTube - X-Men: First Class - Official Trailer

The Deadpool movie is just going into production starring Ryan Reynolds who played him in the Wolverine movie - but he's been busy playing the title role in this years Green Lantern:

YouTube - Green Lantern - Official Trailer [HD]

This making him the first actor to play the lead in both a Marvel and DC movie

It's a bit of a flood these days with all the super-heroes getting their own movies, it's a bit much. Magneto should proof for a great "lead", and I did see some rumours here and there that the movie is coming out, but if there are indeed a whole scatter of "x-man related" work coming out in a short span, it might get a bit much. I guess this a reaction to all the "Avengers" stuff going on, with Iron Man, The Hulk, Captain America, Thor,... I'm curious but don't know for sure.

If the Magneto movie does go ahead, and if it is going to star Sir Ian, it won't be made anytime soon - he's off to New Zealand for a bit to film the Hobbit....

I have to admit I was not really paying attention when I watched it, so just assumed it was Nightcrawler - but having looked again, as you say the character is red, although has all the characteristics of Nightcrawler - tail, teleporting etc.

The character is apparently Azazel (guessing from the cast list here) who appeared in the comics briefly, very similar appearance, and is one of an ancient race of demonic proto-mutants. At some point in recent history he started mating with strong/unique mutant females, one of which was Mystique - the offspring from the union was... Nightcrawler.

Phew, there, I knew reading all those comics would come in handy one day.

Ahhh thank you, good thing you paid attention to those comics. I am a bit confused by Nightcrawler now, if his father is red and his mother is blue shouldn't he be some sort of purple? Regardless, Nightcrawler has always been one of my favorites, so I'll let that one go.

I'm still fairly new to this site so I don't know if there's a Green Lantern forum somewhere, but I wish they would skip the Hal Jordan origin story and just make a movie adaptation of the Blackest Night series.

I thought it was going to be First Class, then Wolverine 2. (Then poss Deadpool or Magneto). Which is poo really. I'm still hoping for a Gambit Origins!

Gambit Origins? Yes Please! Gambit was always one of the best characters in the comics. He wasn't afraid to do what needed to be done and he could work well without a team to back him up. Gambit and Deadpool were definitely my favorites with Nightcrawler and Arcangel following close behind.

He's definitely the most interesting character! Far more so than Wolverine.

I think Wolverine is a very interesting character, but it's often hard to emphasize with someone who occasionally goes crazy and kills everyone he doesn't like. While I think Gambit's power has the potential for far more destruction, (seriously how cool would it be to make things explode whenever you want?) he is far more subtle than Wolverine. I think there are a lot of comparisons you could draw between the two characters, the most obvious of which is that both seem far more interested in their own affairs than those of the X-Men, but not so much that they are entirely self-motivated and considered villains.

Fun fact: Gambit and Wolverine were originally smokers until Marvel decided to frown upon characters with bad habits (you know, other than killing) and made them both quit.

That's all very true. I did know that about Gambit, didn't know Wolverine was a smoker too. But I suppose most of them smoked!

I'm going to side with Wolverine as my favourite of the two, but only just - simply because I can remember the character who first joined the X-Men, and how he has changed and grown. In many ways he's taken a step back from what he was becoming about 15 years ago, and think he has not be written correctly for far too long. (And yes he did used to smoke, huge great cigars. There was a big argument about having him quit,even to the point of him having long speeches about how bad smoking is for other people - but his healing factor kept him healthy)

Gambit however is an impressive character, one of my favourites, when he first appeared he was like a breath of fresh air, it was hinted for quite a long time that he had a secondary power, but it was soon brushed under the carpet and was forgotten. It was also hinted that he might have been the third Summers brother, but again that was dropped and never mentioned again.

(Incidently neither character is my favourite X-man!)

Ah, goldfish memory strikes again! I did know Wolverine smoked cigars.

I thought Gambit could control time as well? (Though I don't read the comics, so not certain on that one!)

And who's your fave, PM?

Indeed, tons of Marvel characters used to smoke including Professor X from time to time (he's a classy guy, he smoked a pipe). Marvel launched a huge anti-smoking campaign in 2001 I believe (don't quote me on the date) which many readers were disappointed in. The rules of the smoking ban were often very unclear, for instance, characters that writers thought children wouldn't emphasize with were allowed to keep smoking. The Punisher was one of these because Marvel thought that no kid would ever look up to him as a hero. There was also Marvel MAX comics, which were aimed at adult audiences rather than kids and featured many of the same heroes and villains, but they were all allowed to smoke, drink, be promiscuous, and be morally ambiguous because kids weren't supposed to be reading those.

Personally, I can understand why Marvel no longer wanted to portray heroes smoking, after all I wanted to be just like the X-Men when I was a kid. I think Wolverine should have been able to continue smoking though. Since his body constantly regenerates itself, he really doesn't have to worry about any negative health effects from smoking.