Ashes to Ashes

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
The 'Life on Mars' sequel, 'Ashes to Ashes' begins in the UK on Thursday February 7th, BBC One @ 9pm.

A number of the central characters - including DCI Gene Hunt - are back. Gene will be joined by a female detective from the 21st century, DI Alex Drake, who is stranded in 1981 after an accident. She will be played by Keeley Hawes. Also reappearing are Chris Skelton (who is stated to be a "technical wizard") and Ray Carling. All have transferred to the Metropolitan Police in London and Chris and Ray remain loyal to Gene. There will be a new recruit in the form of WPC Sharon 'Shaz' Grainger to replace WDC Annie Cartwright.

You're correct he's not in it. I understand what you mean, but I thought the writing was good. Difficult though it is to strike Gold twice, they may pull it off. It's the same production company who make 'Spooks' and 'Hustle'. I have some concerns too - the time travelling character is now a woman, the setting has moved to London - but I'm looking forward to seeing it.

I've found a little extra infomation:

Philip Glenister: "I admit I initially didn't want to do Ashes to Ashes, but three things nailed it for me - the fact that it was filmed near my home in London; Keeley Hawes, of course; and the Audi Quattro. How could I say no to that?"

Spoiler for first episode:
DI Alex Drake (Keeley Hawes) is a psychological profiler and a single mum. The new series begins with her driving her daughter Molly to school. On the front seat of her car are case notes on Sam Tyler, whom she was treating. Sam has told her all about his trip to 1973 and working with Gene Hunt.

Responding to a call, Alex confronts a crazed gunman and is taken hostage. The man appears to know her and fires a bullet. Alex passes out and when she wakes up, she's in an Eighties brothel sporting a dodgy perm...

So, no one watched it, or no one wanted to comment. I recorded it and have just seen it. They decided to go a bit more weird than the first time, and Alex immediately knowing what was going on was odd.

It didn't quite capture the eighties to me, the way that 'Life on Mars' captured the seventies, but there is time yet.

Alex seems to have serious clown-phobia.

I agree, not such a good start as LOM, though the music brought back memories. Keeley Hawes might be nicer to look at than Simms (depending on your preferences) but she didn't engage my sympathy in the same way.

I found the first episode Ashes to Ashes strangely uninvolving. Perhaps it was the direction, which seemed melodrammatic, to say the least. I half wondered whether it was meant to be a full-on comedy, or even a spoof of itself.

Life on Mars had a strong comedy aspect, as we compared Simms's (and our current) take on life with that of Gene Hunt and his team. Ashes to Ashes was not prepared to let us see this happening, but wanted to flourish the directorial equivalent of a highlighter pen, in case we were too dumb to notice for ourselves.

I can only hope the directing of Episode Two is rather more subtle. (I rather suspect, though, that the cartoonish feel is part of the makers' attempt to get into the '70s spirit.)

I was also unimpressed by the first episode. Apart from lacking the 'intrigue' element of Life on Mars, I didn't find the Keeley Hawes character, DI Drake, a very realistic female police officer from any era. At least, she's not like any I've ever met. I'll probably stick with it though, as Phillip Glenisters portrayal of DCI Gene Hunt is always very watchable.

I was somewhat disappointed with it, but there's plenty of time to get into the groove.

I think Hawes isn't a patch on John Simms, and LoM was great partly because of the Sheriff and Deputy dynamic. However, maybe if she stopped psychobabbling so much and paused for breath it'd be better.

A bit too cheesy as well, I felt. I was never really gripped.

Plus sides: Skelton and Ray are both amusing, and Hunt's presence is of course great. The clown is test card girl's equal in scariness (I used to be afraid of the test card girl and don't like clowns either. Happily I'm quite at ease with Zippy and George).

Hopefully episode two will give HUnt, Skelton and Ray more screen time.

Im trying to keep an open mind as i so enjoyed Life on Mars and hoping the writing is as good as that series. Im not sure why there is a woman in that situation this time, perhaps they are hoping for a bit of sexual tension with Hunt

The TV detective series Life on Mars, about a present-day policeman who inexplicably finds himself a part of a 1970s detective squad, was deservedly a huge hit. Not surprisingly it was followed by a new series, Ashes to Ashes, following the same detective team into the 1980s with a new "throwback", Keeley Hawes replacing John Simm. The first series was rather disappointing by contrast with LoM, but the second series (which finished a couple of weeks ago) was a great improvement. The characters were much better developed, and the twin plot threads of Hawes' character desperately trying to get back to the present day and her growing relationship with Philip Glenister's crusty, misogynistic detective became increasingly intriguing. As well as the drama and mystery this was one of the funniest series on TV, with more laugh-out-loud moments than most comedies (and – blessed relief – no canned laughter). From being an "OK to watch" for the first series this became a "must watch", and the highlight of the week's viewing. I realised just how much I had come to like the characters when felt quite sad on discovering that one of them had betrayed the team (for all-too-human reasons). The finale was the best episode of the lot, with a commendably ambiguous and open ending.

There's no doubt that Glenister was the star of the show; he was given a string of often outrageously funny non-PC one-liners which he delivered in his characteristically gruff, deadpan, rapid-fire style. One which sticks in my mind; on seeing Hawes looking unusually happy: "What's up with you then? You look as if you've been sitting on the washing machine again!" And the gag in the last episode concerning the detective at a chip-shop crime scene who was happily munching on a battered and deep-fried sausage until he discovered that it was from a literally dis-membered murder victim brought tears to my eyes. I'm eagerly awaiting the third series, due next year.

(An extract from my SFF blog)

Yes, I agree with you entirely. I thought the first series of "Ashes to Ashes" was disappointing but, like you say, the second series picked up.

I'm curious about the third series. It should be quite different. For one thing, she appears to have emerged from her coma although obviously still has issues to resolve. Also, I've heard that this new series will tie the events of "Ashes to Ashes" togther with "Life on Mars". Whether that means we'll see a return of John Simm, I've no idea but it sounds interesting...

I liked Ashes to Ashes - agreed, initially it wasn't as good as Life on Mars, but it definitely picked up. Series one felt a bit over-the-top - too much like a spoof of a 1980s cop show, but they toned that down in series 2.

Rather boringly I agree with all previous posters. I was unsure about watching series 2 because they really overdid the first series and made Hunt a bit of a self-parody.

That said, Life on Mars is still better than either Ashes to Ashes series.

Yes, I agree with you entirely. I thought the first series of "Ashes to Ashes" was disappointing but, like you say, the second series picked up.

I'm curious about the third series. It should be quite different. For one thing, she appears to have emerged from her coma although obviously still has issues to resolve. Also, I've heard that this new series will tie the events of "Ashes to Ashes" togther with "Life on Mars". Whether that means we'll see a return of John Simm, I've no idea but it sounds interesting...

Or has she? Perhaps she is still in the coma, 'dreaming' that she has come out of it, now in a second comatose state inside the original one -

Some one from 2008 in a coma reliving 1982 reliving 2008....

Ouch. my head hurts

I'm pretty sure that Hunt's "presence" (no pun intended) in what purported to be Bolly's present day was a clear indicator that she is still trapped inside her own mind (or whatever it is that's going on).

Broken record time: Ashes to Ashes series one was disappointing; they turned it round for the second series, which was good (but it did not quite reach the heights of the two Life on Mars series).

Broken record time: Ashes to Ashes series one was disappointing, but they turned it round for the second series (but it was still not quite as good as either of the Life on Mars series).

Agreed Mr. Bear, but a lot better than the US version of LOM

I haven't seen that - and I don't think I will be by the look of it.