'salems lot *potential spoilers* & where to go next?...

leviathan

heyhey!

hi everyone - i have just finished reading 'the lot' and i thought it was an execllent book :D

there were a few enfuriating points towards the end however, but i suppose thats just the tension getting to me.

picture the scene (this scene also includes a 'Jack Bauer' style time countdown :cool:)

6.49 - ben and mark drag barlows coffin out of the cellar.
6.50 - they open it. mark goes bonkers.
6.52 - ben subdues mark (*biff*) and goes to stake barlow.
only to realise that the mallet is 7 feet away!
6.53 (!!!) he goes to get the stake.
6.55 - boom! barlows awake! bad times.

one SKS (Stephen King Second) = one earth minute
:p

still fun though.

im about to read either:
-geralds game.
-pet sematery.
-rose madder
or
-the dead zone.

thoughts?

Ah, I am glad you're enjoying Stephen King...and score for another thread in the King section! It was getting a little too quiet around here...

Anyways...as for your next pick. Well, I think it's generally held that Gerald's Game and Rose Madder are some of his weaker books (although, and surprise surprise to hear this coming from me, they're still very good books). I enjoyed Rose Madder particularly -- it has both elements of human-made horror and supernatural horror. Gerald's game is somewhat similar, with a smattering of supernatural, but it's mostly one woman's recollection of past events and also the immediate dilemma of trying to get out of a rather tricky situation. Pet Semetery is very much supernatural horror, with the ending being particularly gruesome. Not for the faint hearted, that one, I reckon! I think for the most horroresque and 'action' type story, this one would be your best bet. For something a little more suspenseful and emotional, go for Gerald's Game. For something with both human and supernatural horror and a woman's plight to escape her past, then go for Rose Madder.

Alas, I haven't read The Dead Zone, so I can't comment on that one!

But whatever you pick next, it's going to be good, I tell you that much. Enjoy :D

Pet Semetary. I haven't read any other books you mentioned, but I still think PS is the best choice. I read 'Salem's Lot and it was the scariest thing I'd ever read, then The Shining took that spot, and then I read PS and that beat it. I suggest reading this when you have a long time before you go to sleep because you aren't going to sleep anytime soon after reading this.

Yes, Pet Semetary is definitely up there with the scariest of King's novels and probably the one I'd suggest for your next read (although I'm also going to say you should read them all in due course, of course :D). I think The Shining is the scariest one for me, though (as scary as a novel can be, anyway, as I was discussing in another thread)...that bit with the thing in 217 never fails to raise the goosebumps...

Ah, I am glad you're enjoying Stephen King...and score for another thread in the King section! It was getting a little too quiet around here...

Anyways...as for your next pick. Well, I think it's generally held that Gerald's Game and Rose Madder are some of his weaker books (although, and surprise surprise to hear this coming from me, they're still very good books). I enjoyed Rose Madder particularly -- it has both elements of human-made horror and supernatural horror. Gerald's game is somewhat similar, with a smattering of supernatural, but it's mostly one woman's recollection of past events and also the immediate dilemma of trying to get out of a rather tricky situation. Pet Semetery is very much supernatural horror, with the ending being particularly gruesome. Not for the faint hearted, that one, I reckon! I think for the most horroresque and 'action' type story, this one would be your best bet. For something a little more suspenseful and emotional, go for Gerald's Game. For something with both human and supernatural horror and a woman's plight to escape her past, then go for Rose Madder.

Alas, I haven't read The Dead Zone, so I can't comment on that one!

But whatever you pick next, it's going to be good, I tell you that much. Enjoy :D

You havent read The Dead Zone and you call yourself a SK fan :eek:

I think I've read enough of his books (again and again and again) to call myself a fan! I confess I haven't read them all (but it's a large majority that I have read and have collected!), and The Dead Zone is one of them, but I intend to. I have my whole life to become an Annie Wilkes-alike (only the number one fan bit, not the rest!)

Hoopy gets tetchy when people question her status as a King fan :D

I was surprised cause it was early in his career and he seem to have written his best books in the 70-80's. I thought you would read it since you have read his other early books.

I thought it was written brilliantly and full of so many emotions to be a SK book.

Yup, I've read his earlier stuff...and, of course, his later stuff.

And that last comment -- do you mean it had more emotion than expected of King book? Because King certainly does emotions well, most definitely. He writes about, on the whole, normal people in very realistic and often gritty settings and he certainly shows the emotions. Especially in books like Lisey's Story, which was much more focussed on the problems faced by a married couple rather any huge, supernatural threat. In fact, I think that's one thing that he's become better at over the years -- his later books like Lisey's story, From a Buick 8, A Bag of Bones and etc really are emotion-fueled.

Yup, I've read his earlier stuff...and, of course, his later stuff.

And that last comment -- do you mean it had more emotion than expected of King book? Because King certainly does emotions well, most definitely. He writes about, on the whole, normal people in very realistic and often gritty settings and he certainly shows the emotions. Especially in books like Lisey's Story, which was much more focussed on the problems faced by a married couple rather any huge, supernatural threat. In fact, I think that's one thing that he's become better at over the years -- his later books like Lisey's story, From a Buick 8, A Bag of Bones and etc really are emotion-fueled.

Yeah i know what he is famous for normal people and he shows the emotions well.

I meant you felt for much for Johnny and his situation compared to other SK books i have read. That was the case for me.

His writing was alot better and more smooth than the newbie,dense,slow writing of Salem's Lot for example.

By the way can you recommend another good early book of his ? Not very horror like but more Supernatural ala DZ.

Ah, I am always willing to recommend new King books :D

Hmm, let's see. More supernatural than horror...You could try Insomnia -- it's not one of his earliest by any means, really, having been written in 1994, but I think it's more supernatural than horror. It also links into The Dark Tower series in a brief way (not anything incredibly important) which I strongly suggest you read at some point (that is definitely more fantasy than horror, that series). Or, while on the subject of more fantastical, The Eyes of the Dragon is more like a fantasy novel, quite different to most of King's work, indeed. And it also introduces you to Flagg, King's uber-villain!

I'm certainly one of his fans that think the period with Rose Madder, Geralds Game and Dolores Claiborne is his worst writing period.

I think he got back on track with the likes of The Green Mile and Bag of Bones in 98.

I would suggest Bag of Bones which is partially inspired by "Rebecca"

Ah, I am always willing to recommend new King books :D

Hmm, let's see. More supernatural than horror...You could try Insomnia -- it's not one of his earliest by any means, really, having been written in 1994, but I think it's more supernatural than horror. It also links into The Dark Tower series in a brief way (not anything incredibly important) which I strongly suggest you read at some point (that is definitely more fantasy than horror, that series). Or, while on the subject of more fantastical, The Eyes of the Dragon is more like a fantasy novel, quite different to most of King's work, indeed. And it also introduces you to Flagg, King's uber-villain!

Dark Tower scared me away from SK for long time for all the wrong reasons so im not sure im willing to read another fantasy of his.

Doesnt he have another good supernatural stories ?

Short stories is also good if he has a good collection with what im looking for.

As I'm sure I've said before, definitely carry on with The Dark Tower when you get a chance to, it's a brilliant series once you get into it.

Well, as I've said, Insomnia is good. From a Buick 8 has horror elements, but it is quite supernatural as well. And Bag of Bones is similar, with the plot revolving around ghosts. The Green Mile, now there's s good story without much horror in the conventional sense in it -- and a very emotional book.

Everything's Eventual is a good collection of short stories, it includes the story of 1408 which recently came out at the cinema and is a much better in story form than the film.

Pet Semetary. I haven't read any other books you mentioned, but I still think PS is the best choice. I read 'Salem's Lot and it was the scariest thing I'd ever read, then The Shining took that spot, and then I read PS and that beat it. I suggest reading this when you have a long time before you go to sleep because you aren't going to sleep anytime soon after reading this.

i accept that challenge J! :D

pet sematery it is.

(after maybe a brief furore into 'the hobbit' methinks. picked it up for 3 quid, mint condish, second hand! but thats for another time. in another forum... :p)

As I'm sure I've said before, definitely carry on with The Dark Tower when you get a chance to, it's a brilliant series once you get into it.

Well, as I've said, Insomnia is good. From a Buick 8 has horror elements, but it is quite supernatural as well. And Bag of Bones is similar, with the plot revolving around ghosts. The Green Mile, now there's s good story without much horror in the conventional sense in it -- and a very emotional book.

Everything's Eventual is a good collection of short stories, it includes the story of 1408 which recently came out at the cinema and is a much better in story form than the film.

Thanks thats what im looking for.

I have nothing against horror, i love his kind of horror. I just feel for more supernatural tale right now.

The story can have horror elements if it has good supernatural feel.

1408 i was actually impressed by the little i saw in trailers and so on but i planned to read the SS first.

Dark Tower i will only read more of i becamo a bigger fan than im right now.

Maybe read his other fantasy first.