2.01: Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
First episode of second season was shown on BBC 2 tonight. To me it seemed like a re-launch. There was a lot of getting to know the team moments. In that respect, I thought it was better than the original first episode.

The actual story was fairly routine and predictable. James Masters shows up as Captain John, and ex-colleague of Captain Jack from his Time Agent days. They were lovers who shared "everything". He wants the Torchwood team to help him find three dangerous cannisters, but really he wants a precious stone, but the precious stone is really a bomb that will kill him.

The team actually worked as a team today. They have been practising while Jack has been away travelling with the Doctor. Of course, they still need Jack. And Gwen has been engaged to the useless idiot Rhys that she lives with.

The jokes were not very funny but on the whole I liked this a lot better than many of last years episodes. I'm sure with some thought I could pick holes in the plot, but right now I can't. Quite a lot of the story was made possible by alien and future technology, which you obviously have to accept it can do what it can do.

I'm not sure how they will make this suitable for kids. There was no sex, just a lot of kissing. As you may have guessed from the title, there was some shooting, and a number of people thrown off buildings.

I'm glad they did not kill off John, and the end left a puzzle about who is Greg.

Re: 2.1: Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang

I'm sure with some thought I could pick holes in the plot, but right now I can't.

They're still a bit slapdash - leaving bodies lying around without removing the belongings, but that pales against some of things they've done previously.

All in all, though, it appeared to be an improvement on series one. (Not hard, but still good to see, as it were.)

Last edited:

It was a decent enough start.

Some funny lines at the start ... "Excuse me, have you seen a blowfish in a sportscar" "Bloody Torchwood" (SOme secret agency they are)

James Masters stole the show as expected, the rest of the cast are not in the same league.

Ianto was seriously annoying as usual (Get rid of him they have too many characters in every scene)

But overall it was ok.

Not bad...certainly they acted more as a team.
Nice to see from the trailer that Captain John will be back.:)

James Masters , a very nifty little char and one we can easily see reocuring even without the benefit of the trailer - it does seem that they get him in to pick up ailing shows - he spiced up buffy, then smallville and now torchwood - atleast he's good actor!

Ianto - I think the guy must have attended to local am dram over the break in sows as he was "FRACTIONALY" less wodden than last series - still definately the best candidate for "kill off a team member" show.

The episode itself was not too bad really, rather liked the passionate bar sceen was a good start to the show - OK we all knew exactly where it was going to lead by the end of the show but still it wasnt unpleasent - this could have been becuase of the good on screen chemistry between the principles - but overall I agree with the others a much better start to season 2 than I anticipated... only time will tell if the show drops back down into the alien shagathon the last series was.. I think they may infact turn that aspect down and amp up the violence a little so it sells moderately better over the pond.

still I know its just a wish but it would be really nifty to have the Dr visit the new Torchwood someday - or failing this as they dont want to contaminate the main Dr who with the sex in torchwood - occationally throw in the tardis as a back shot down some deserted streed for half a second - would give us geeks something to oo and rrrr over :)

Ah guys, I love Inato with his little stopwatch.

Do you really?

This could be seen as a re-lauch, as if it needed it:eek::D Captain John was excellent James Masters playing a blinder.

As to the jokes not being funny I thought they were very rude crude but very funny. The writing seems quite tight (oooer:D) with one liners and come back's (Ianto? Oooooerr again!:D) and double entendre's being somewhat the order of the day, the line "I worked my way through the ranks" and the come back " I'm sure they were very grateful" had me in stiches.
Maybe it's just my immature purile mind but I like witty sharp "Banter" which was I spoilt with in Buffy. I like the direction this is going in and I hope it will continue. Nice to see Martha appearing later in the series. I would say though I doubt the Doctor will ever appear in Torchwood as it's aimed at much different audiences, but a shot of the TARDIS in the background would be a gift to us geek's.:D

"Excuse me, have you seen a blowfish in a sportscar" "Bloody Torchwood" (SOme secret agency they are).
"I worked my way through the ranks" and the come back " I'm sure they were very grateful".
Yes, those were the two jokes. I rest my case! :)

I've worked out who Ianto reminds me of - he's Paul Burrell!

The "Help me Obi Wan Kenobi" holo was a nice touch, especially the way he looked off to his right al la Princess Leia just before the end of the transmission. Yep, I am a geeky girlie I know - but I liked it.

Have to agree they are bringing in JM with the sole purpose of spicing things up, tho with RTD its always with the kissing, Cap'n Jack snogs just about everyone and I didn't see the kiss in the bar scene coming, tho thinking about it if I'd paid a bit more attention to the title, and past storylines I should have.

Good start to the series - and will be good to see Martha in the future eps

Have skipped the comments so far: for very dull reasons I missed the episode: can anyone tell me when it's going to be repeated (apart from the "much later the same night" waste-of-time slot)...?

I don't think you missed much - I actually can't think of one positive comment to make about it at the moment. Sorry folks!:(

It's the same length, 50mins.

For those, like me, who want to catch it sooner than that, it's available as a flash watch-and-play directly from the BBC TW site. Hurrah. Watched it this morning. Agree with most of the comments. Will have to pay attention to schedules in the future!

Perhaps it should be retitled Kiss, Bang...

Maybe being on BBC2 counts as censorship anyway... ;)

Or we're all getting much older than we thought, and omni-gender/species sexuality and psychotic murder are standard 7pm fare these days. I'm starting to sound like my dad, 20 years ago...

What was the "omni-gender/species sexuality and psychotic murder" on at 7pm then, PTeppic? :confused::rolleyes:

Torchwood, next week... assuming they use the 50min slot for the 50min episode as currently seen...

Sorry, but I meant 20 years ago!

Ah, that: more by way of general tone, rather than specific rant. But, did you ever get that you could be on your own watching something about glass-blowing, or equally innocent like that, but as soon as your dad walked into the room somehow they'd move onto hard drug taking or rampant nookie?