The Dark Knight (2008)

How much are you looking foward to this movie?

• A little

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A lot

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Can't freaken wait!

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • not very

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters
Re: The dark knight........

Boy, why do I get the impression that "jordanasmith" and "tisha_b" are one int he same? Either that or a family of trolls are wandering around the site.

Bruce Wayne became Batman when he was bitten by a radioactive bat.
He has special bat abilities, like echo location, amazing arial dexterity and to top them all he can sleep upside down.

Actually I believe Batman's first appearance was in Action Comics, Detective Comics or another generic DC magazine, could be wrong though; it was a bit before my time...
Saw the Dark Knight movie this last week, it was better than expected.

Enjoy!

Detective comics #27 1939 as the Bat-Man...

Batman got his powers from a radioactive bat, but, since he was born on Krypton, he is allergic to Kryptonite.

Dialibra banned, link posts removed....good call, thanks...:)

Re: The Dark Knight: Nolan and Bale’s Batman 2

One reason I wanted to watch the movie was to see Heath Ledger in action, because he was supposed to be really good. Well, I just saw the DVD, and he was good. The movie was also good, with no slow points and a few surprises, and I really liked it.

That said, the DVD didn't have any special features, which have become standard in the business, so that's a small negative.

Too bad Ledger OD on his medication.

I recently saw The Dark Knight, the second of Christopher Nolan's reinventions of Batman, once more featuring Christian Bale as the millionaire crime-fighter. This time his enemy is The Joker; an unnervingly convincing depiction of insanity by the late Heath Ledger. The plotting is dense and it's necessary to concentrate to keep up with all of the developments - this is one film which merits a second watching.

I am more and more impressed by this director's output, he really is good. He has taken Batman from a simplistic comic-strip to a grim adult morality tale which is gripping from start to finish. These two Batman films highlight just how weak and pointless Superman Returns (reviewed a few weeks ago) is in comparison. I have read good reviews of Nolan's latest film, Inception, which has an SF plot which sounds fascinating. That's one I must see.

(An extract from my SFF blog)

I recently saw The Dark Knight, the second of Christopher Nolan's reinventions of Batman, once more featuring Christian Bale as the millionaire crime-fighter. This time his enemy is The Joker; an unnervingly convincing depiction of insanity by the late Heath Ledger. The plotting is dense and it's necessary to concentrate to keep up with all of the developments - this is one film which merits a second watching.

I am more and more impressed by this director's output, he really is good. He has taken Batman from a simplistic comic-strip to a grim adult morality tale which is gripping from start to finish. These two Batman films highlight just how weak and pointless Superman Returns (reviewed a few weeks ago) is in comparison. I have read good reviews of Nolan's latest film, Inception, which has an SF plot which sounds fascinating. That's one I must see.

(An extract from my SFF blog)

Go see Inception you will like it!

Last night I dreamed Di Caprio told me I should go and see it.

LOL!

Am I the only person who found The Dark Knight really irritating? It's just that they tried to bring fantasy into reality, and I felt they failed miserably... The first Batman film was totally rooted in Fantasy, the setting was dark and fantastic, and that lent a certain suspension of belief that allowed one to sit back and enjoy a great film.

The Dark Knight, however was rooted firmly in the here and now, and the only two fantastic figures were Batman and the Joker. Technology is now used openly and The Joker just rips tons of money off to achieve his aims. (And I wouldn't like to upset anyone, but I really don't think Heath Ledger deserved an Oscar for his 'acting' performance - it was so one-dimensional it was embarrassing.)

If you want fantasy, have fantasy - that way, explanations of how things work/happen can often be left to the imagination of the audience. But, I just got more and more irritated by the stupidity of Batman and the Police, who were so inept - in fantasy, that's acceptable, just move things along at a fast pace, and we don't notice - but once you've moved it into reality it smacks of laziness by the film makers.

And as for Morgan Freeman's character - "you're going to listen in on everyone's phone calls to save many innocent lives, then that's the last of our relationship" - AARGHHH!!! How stupid was that? How boring is human rights in a dark fantasy? I'm surprised he didn't leave him because he'd got himself imprisoned earlier, and was transgressing the human rights of the other prisoners that he picked fights with!

It was the mix of trying to bring it into our 'everyday' world and still have a superhero and a supervillain that failed to ignite anything except derision in me. Heath Ledger walking down the road as the hopsital blew up (he'd managed to smuggle tons of explosive in to just about every room, and nobody noticed!!) without a cop in sight made me want to leave the cinema. But I'd paid, so I stayed.

God, I feel better, now that I got that off my chest...

I enjoyed it greatly, but part of me wishes Batman hadn't been in it. He was a bit superfluous. I'd have preferred a film with cops vs gangsters with this remorseless, nihilist psycho-genius in face paint looming out of nowhere and destroying all their little plans. Kind of like Heat meets Jaws, I suppose.

Am I the only person who found The Dark Knight really irritating?

No: although overall I thought it wasn't bad, it was overlong and pretentious. It was as though someone had set out to make a Batman film without any fun: the action scenes were forgettable, and although Ledger was fine, for some reason the Joker didn't tell any jokes, which I thought rather came with the territory.

It spent much too much time trying to be "dark", which is easily confused for "deep" these days: all that stuff about seeking the truth about the instincts of man was pretentious waffle. Ultimately, Batman is a man who fights crime dressed as a bat, not a walking treatise about the ultimate loneliness of the soul. And he talks like an idiot. I know it's controversial, but to my mind the Nicolson/Keaton version was far more enjoyable.