The Dark Knight (2008)

How much are you looking foward to this movie?

• A little

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A lot

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Can't freaken wait!

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • not very

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters
Re: The Dark Knight: Nolan and Bale’s Batman 2

I think I missed something because I never thought of Falcone as brittish in B.Begins. I remember the line 'ya got gutts kid' which sounds more like a generic Chicago movie thug but I haven't watch in a while. Also I think with decades worth of source material perhaps there is no difinitive version. Like the 60s Batman was probably closer to the comics at the time. I'm pretty sure that in the Bob Kane comic, batman actually shot Joe Chill point blank with a gun while wearing the cowl. re: cheezy sequels, Batman begins wasn't a sequel IMO but that may be a semantic distinction. It's not even a prequel because it's completely unrelated to Burton, et al movies. I've always linked super heroes to mythic characters. Like new movie takes on Robin hood in movie and TV crop up all the time without much fuss. I hope they don't kill Joker either; you need him out there.

It was maybe one scene he didnt sound as brittish otherwise all the other scenes his lines cut through me like someone was stabbing me in the gut.....

In the comic Falcone was based on Vito Corleone look and speech wise and the best they could do in the movie was a brit actor who couldnt fake american accent let alone american italian accent.

That bothered me much more than Ra's Al Ghul being a white irish dude.

The first scene i saw Falcone being played the way they played him, i knew all my hopes for the new Batman movie series was gone.

Now if the second one has decent action scenes who shows Batman kicks ass and Bale keeps playing Bruce Wayne well im all good.

That low are my expectations.....

he never sounded brittish to me but it DID sound a bit like someine 'doing' and accent so I'm sure it could have been cast better. I just hadn't thought of it. We have already disagreed on the action. Well I could have done without the car/tank chase but I thought the fight scenes were perfect. I wouldn't have had them any other way. For me the next move is the chance to either ramp it up or drop the ball. If it flops we can always go back to reading.

he never sounded brittish to me but it DID sound a bit like someine 'doing' and accent so I'm sure it could have been cast better. I just hadn't thought of it. We have already disagreed on the action. Well I could have done without the car/tank chase but I thought the fight scenes were perfect. I wouldn't have had them any other way. For me the next move is the chance to either ramp it up or drop the ball. If it flops we can always go back to reading.

It wont flop no matter how bad it is. The name of Batman will carry it. Alot of mainstream fans and comic fans like Batman too much for it to flop.

I didnt like either the tank chase, i was thinking this is Batman he is more like Spidey he swings from building to building with his lines and techs.

Very happy with the film. Maybe doesn't exactly live up to the hype but gets pretty close.

I liked it only slightly fractionatescimally less than Batman Begins. I just really like Batman screen time and he was a bit diluted in the mix and spending a lot of time putting out fires. But what a mix it was. Part of the appeal about Batman is him taking control of his demons and Joker acting as a true nemesis works to take that control away. I was so frustrated in the interrogation scene because, well, you can’t scare Joker because he just doesn’t care. It’s like trying to punch a ghost! If I had to think of an origin story that made sense for this joker then he’s an ex CIA (master infiltrator) guy who lost everything. I think I could keep typing infinitely because I’m still watching in my head. Ooooh I just saw the scene where Batman says “I’m counting on it.” You all know the one. . .

So far other people I have heard from have like it much more than I did and I really really liked it.

I liked it, but as ScottSF said, it could never live up to all the hype.

Interesting that no one here had a good word to say for Heath Ledger, yet now he is favourite to get a late Oscar. He was good, in some points exceptionally good, but I will always see Jack Nicholson as the Joker. If he wins and Oscar, it will not be only because of this performance.

I also agree with the points made that anyone can be Batman (a point made in the film) but that acting Bruce Wayne is the key. I don't think Christian Bale does too bad a job, and Michael Caine is a good Alfred.

For me the film was a little too long and convoluted, with too many people dead, then not dead again, or saved from certain death at the final moment, and then killed off anyway.

@Gav:
IIRC, Batman in the Burton film does not voluntarily kill the Joker. He is unable to support the weight of the portly clown additionally held down by a stone gargoyle, and has to drop him to ensure his own survival.

Interesting that no one here had a good word to say for Heath Ledger, yet now he is favourite to get a late Oscar. He was good, in some points exceptionally good, but I will always see Jack Nicholson as the Joker. If he wins and Oscar, it will not be only because of this performance.

I will admit that when the announcement came out that he was going to be the Joker, I was a little worried. But really the only movies I had seen him in were 10 things I hate about you and A Knights Tale. I really couldn't picture him as the Joker, especially in such a dark film as I thought the Dark Knight would be.

I will also admit that he did an excellent job. I was totally wrong in my lack of faith. :D He was the Joker for me.

i thought he was brilliant ! the last fight with him was a bit of a let down because he was suppose to be the villian in #3 but now he can't but when he frown's because his plans didnt work reminds me much of a killing joke "why are you laughing?"

I agree, Heath is the best live action Joker yet. Great writing + Great performance. Some people are saying, however, that the character of the Joker should be retired from movies and that's just silly. I'm sure there is talent out there that could take on the role. If the current creative team does do another Batman, though, it would be redundant to have a Joker-centric story again. So many of the Villians are cheesey, it would be hard to translate them in the more realistic (compared to other interpretations) world of Nonlan's Batman. Seems the next direction if they do more would be about Batman more as an outlaw.

What did he kill Joker then?

I never was fan of those Burton movies cause Keaton was totally wrong Batman.

Batman can never kill any villain let alone the sickest of them and the one he hates most. He is at the border line of becoming like his villains with the way he works and if he kills he will be the same as them.

he does kill the joker in the dark knight strikes again but batman is 50+

We are going to see this movie tonight, wanted to wait a week or so whilst the cinema's emptied out. I loved the first one, I think Christian Bale makes a great Batman. Although I did think that Michael Keaton was alot better than those who followed in his footsteps like Val Kilmer and George Clooney.

This movie really was amazing, one of the best super hero movies i've seen!! Spiderman 2, Batman begins, and Ironman are the next in line after The Dark Knight.

on the bus heading to see it right now.....

*this space awaits Celeritas's opinion of the flick*

OMG! where to begin?

i'm torn! i'm so torn! the movie was well directed, bale was awesome(but i'm madly in love with him anyway)

but....for years i've sworn no one could equal jack nicholson as the joker....

arrg....I don't know....=(

he does kill the joker in the dark knight strikes again but batman is 50+

i'm not so sure that he does kill the Joker in the Dark Knight Returns... read it again and see what you think - I'm doing this from memory.

But my impression always was thay he broke Jokers neck, so precisely that he would never move again, but still be alive and then it says something that he 'twists and turns with the devils strength' effectively finishing the job, killing himself...

i'm not so sure that he does kill the Joker in the Dark Knight Returns... read it again and see what you think - I'm doing this from memory.

But my impression always was thay he broke Jokers neck, so precisely that he would never move again, but still be alive and then it says something that he 'twists and turns with the devils strength' effectively finishing the job, killing himself...

maybe... book three "hunt for the dark knight" near the end he chases him to a carnival anyway batman breaks his neck and ...

joker : "im really ... very disappointed with you , my sweet.. the moment was ... perfect... and you... didnt have the nerve.. paralysis really?, an ounce or two more of pressure.. and .. do i hear sirens? yes coming close.. you wont get far.. but then it does matter if you do.. they'll kill you for thisand they will never know you didnt have the nerve............. see you in hell"

With a devil's strength he twists and twists.. and whats left of his spine goes kkkkkkraaakkkkkkraakkkkkk whatever's in him rustles as it leaves.. the sirens echo through the tunnel tires screech.. the world.. is growing dark... and cold

that is word for word from the comic i just double checked and that is really dissappointing because in nolan's batman the joker was suppose to return for #3 and if you think about it that how the dark knight ended with "the hunt for the dark knight" but i dont think heath can be outdone so that leaves selena kyle as villian/love interest

EDIT: also the following book the dark knight falls he rigged the body of the joker to burst into flames to cover his escape burning police, says stop laughing and next panel is the jokers skull/face on fire

sorry i said strikes again but that was the sequel you are right it was dark knight returns