How many Pern books have you read?

I have no idea how many books it is, but I've read every Pern book including Todd's. Most of them I've read many times. I like some more than others, but I like them all enough to reread them.

I read them all, including Todd's. The only one I would consider to be inferior is the last one published - I felt that there were too many logical disconnects and because of that I was unable to suspend belief and enjoy the story, I did still finish it though so it was horrendous.

I've read most of them. I've read a few of the ones by Todd and agree that they are not as good. Its good to be able to read more pern stories, but they have a different style to them. They dont' seem to have the same sparkle or depth of character, more mechanical or plot driven perhaps.

I would think it must be very hard to follow in a parents footsteps in this way, and the only reason I can see for doing it is to rake in more cash from the success of the previous Pern books.

I've read 11, but none since All the Weyrs of Pern (1991). There's so much else out there to read, and I just thought I'd had enough of Pern at this point.

I own 6 of her Pern books, I've read the original trilogy (Dragonflight, Dragonquest, The White Dragon) several times, I've also read Moreta several times, I don't remember if I've read The Renegades Of Pern or not:confused:, and I just purchased All The Weyrs Of Pern but have not read it yet. I love the world she creates with this series...:) -kd5-

I've read about 5 1/2 Pern books.

The first 3 and that was 1 too many.

Why do you say this? (If you're still around, I realize this post is over a year old).

I read the Harper Hall trilogy first and that got me hooked. :) I really related to Menolly as a character, and this trilogy remains one of my favorite of all fantasy stories.

I started on the original trilogy next, but couldn't get through it. I read about the first 1.5 books before putting it down. Although it is very intriguing how it tells the same story from a different perspective, I just didn't relate to any of the characters. The world of Pern is so believable, and the story is very well written. But characters make or break a story for me, not a setting. I was disappointed in Dragonflight and Dragonquest.

I've read about 5 1/2 Pern books.

Why do you say this? (If you're still around, I realize this post is over a year old).

I read the Harper Hall trilogy first and that got me hooked. :) I really related to Menolly as a character, and this trilogy remains one of my favorite of all fantasy stories.

I started on the original trilogy next, but couldn't get through it. I read about the first 1.5 books before putting it down. Although it is very intriguing how it tells the same story from a different perspective, I just didn't relate to any of the characters. The world of Pern is so believable, and the story is very well written. But characters make or break a story for me, not a setting. I was disappointed in Dragonflight and Dragonquest.

I like all the Pern books, even the ones about holders & other people who live there.
I think you would like The Master Harper if you haven't already read it. It's the story of Robinton.

I like all the Pern books, even the ones about holders & other people who live there.
I think you would like The Master Harper if you haven't already read it. It's the story of Robinton.

I agree, I have loved all of them that I have read. I have a few in my TBR pile, I think the ones her son is involved with and I will get around to them I am sure. I thought the The Master Harper was excellent.

Parson said: The first 3 and that was 1 too many.

First, this Parson is nothing if not dependable. Second, not only is the post a year old, it's been at least 10 years since I read the books. At my age memory gets a little fuzzy (okay, sometimes more than a little). I read Pern books because I love a lot of what Anne McCaffrey writes. I love a lot of SF, but I read very little Fantasy. I felt the series was degenerating (no offense meant) into Fantasy. I realize Anne insists on calling it SF, but if walks like duck and quacks like a duck you're going to have a hard time telling me it's not a duck.

However, my years (it has been years though hardly seems like it) here have broadened my horizons a bit; or perhaps I'm mellowing in my old age. Anyway, I just finished reading Goblin Moon by our own Teresa Edgerton, which I rather liked. I would read a follow up to it.

I agree, I have loved all of them that I have read. I have a few in my TBR pile, I think the ones her son is involved with and I will get around to them I am sure. I thought the The Master Harper was excellent.

Todd isn't bad. Of course he is a slightly different writer, (being male for a start), than the late great Anne, but he is similar. He has the right idea.:)

I read The White Dragon, if that is considered one of them and I was completely blown away by how damn good it was. Dragons portrayed like never or ever before!

Chris

I read The White Dragon, if that is considered one of them and I was completely blown away by how damn good it was. Dragons portrayed like never or ever before!

Chris

Yes, that is most deffinately a Pern novel & one of the best. If I remember correctly Anne won an award for that book.

First, this Parson is nothing if not dependable. Second, not only is the post a year old, it's been at least 10 years since I read the books. At my age memory gets a little fuzzy (okay, sometimes more than a little). I read Pern books because I love a lot of what Anne McCaffrey writes. I love a lot of SF, but I read very little Fantasy. I felt the series was degenerating (no offense meant) into Fantasy. I realize Anne insists on calling it SF, but if walks like duck and quacks like a duck you're going to have a hard time telling me it's not a duck.

However, my years (it has been years though hardly seems like it) here have broadened my horizons a bit; or perhaps I'm mellowing in my old age. Anyway, I just finished reading Goblin Moon by our own Teresa Edgerton, which I rather liked. I would read a follow up to it.

I would agree with you, in so far as you say they are fantasy not sci-fi. I, however, read almost exclusively fantasy, never having really picked up a taste for sci-fi. I think the pro-logs are the only sci-fi- bits she has in there.
speaking of her prologs...
did anyone else notice that they are not copy past of each other, but only by a word or two each time???

I would agree with you, in so far as you say they are fantasy not sci-fi. I, however, read almost exclusively fantasy, never having really picked up a taste for sci-fi. I think the pro-logs are the only sci-fi- bits she has in there.
speaking of her prologs...
did anyone else notice that they are not copy past of each other, but only by a word or two each time???

I have to disagree, they seem a blend of scifi and fantasy to me. As the story develops we find out about how the people of Pern came to be there, how they developed the dragons (certainly gene manipulation on this scale would be scifi and not fantasy and traveling by spaceship to another planet also). Eventually we uncover and meet the highly advanced computer (possibly AI although I cannot say for sure as it has been awhile since I read these books).

I would agree that the basic storyline is more fantasy although certainly there is no magic involved but I guess dragons (even man made dragons) and essentially an agrarian/feudal type society setting are right square in the fantasy genre but it still seems to be to be an interesting blending.

Todd isn't bad. Of course he is a slightly different writer, (being male for a start), than the late great Anne, but he is similar. He has the right idea.:)

Good to know, I suspect my concerns about him are why I have pushed them to the bottom of the pile over time. Perhaps it is time for a full reread and then a dive into the few I have not yet read. :)

I have to disagree, they seem a blend of scifi and fantasy to me. As the story develops we find out about how the people of Pern came to be there, how they developed the dragons (certainly gene manipulation on this scale would be scifi and not fantasy and traveling by spaceship to another planet also). Eventually we uncover and meet the highly advanced computer (possibly AI although I cannot say for sure as it has been awhile since I read these books).

I would agree that the basic storyline is more fantasy although certainly there is no magic involved but I guess dragons (even man made dragons) and essentially an agrarian/feudal type society setting are right square in the fantasy genre but it still seems to be to be an interesting blending.

I would say fantasy for the most part, as the books, to start with anyway, are set on one planet, until the people of Pern discover the buried ships in the Southern continent & by uncovering those discover the computer, AIVAS & it's abilities & their history, then the books start to become Sci-Fi. A mix of both I'd say.
Anne did write Sci-Fi too. The Ship Who Sang etc.

I have never read one! Yet in my youth was always drawn to them, YET seemed to buy/read something else, I wouldn't know where to start nowadays and wonder how I would find them??

How would you sum up the writing style/quality? Age aimed at? As my tastes have sadly matured. I say sadly because my youthful wonder at fantasy as a whole, has been replaced with a more cynical critique as I read new material now . . . sigh.