Writing software.

I like Scrivener, despite the bloat. I'm just getting started as a writer, and I had to consciously restrict the number of features I am using for fear of getting bogged down. Little bit of a learning curve.

Its "Save As" feature is so robust, they don't even call it "Save As." It's called "Compile"; you compile the raw text -- which sounds a lot like what computer programmers do. Odd nomenclature notwithstanding, I like that there are, among the many formats you can compile to, a couple that are paperback formats. I have found them to be very useful in gauging my page count. If you are using MS Word, it is a crazy exercise in formatting to try to create a similar "published format." This is quick and easy.

I'd imagine it's one of two things:

1. Your upgrade to windows 10 has broken your activation key for Word so it thinks you don't have one and wants you to log in to verify your Microsoft account has a valid activation key.

2. Windows 10 has a real problem with its account login. I get messages several times a day asking me to log in to my Microsoft account. Despite the fact I log on to the pc with that and log in each time it asks. Windows 10 has been the worst for annoying users so far in my experience.

If you are looking for something cheap and cheerful to use instead of Word I'd recommend yWriter. It's kind of similar to Scrivener except it's free and made by an indie developer. He made it for himself to write and just expanded it over the years. It allows you to split your manuscript into chapters and scenes and export to txt. I don't use too many of its features, I usually create one "chapter" and add a scene to that for each chapter of my novel inside that. I'll transfer it to something else once I'm done. It can also do a daily backup as well as auto-backup at set intervals (I do 5 minutes and you won't even notice the backup going on).

I think Scrivener has been a great investment for me personally, it has helped so much. Like @dneuschulz said it has a lot of bloat but if you are writing a complex story with plenty of moving parts it really helps manage and compartmentalise everything to stop you going mad or loosing track which in turn would lead to plot holes.

Auto saving is effortless and like previously mentioned the compile templates are great for drafts and to be published manuscripts. A+ for me I stand by it despite the heavy price tag.

What do my fellow Windows users think of Scrivener 3? The upgrade dropped while I was preoccupied with a lot of stuff on the home front, but one thing I want to get serious about in the new year is my writing. I'm still using Scrivener 1 but am about to upgrade...and hoping it's the right choice!