Theodore Sturgeon - My reviews and stuff

D_Davis

I've been reading Philip K. Dick for about 15 years, ever since I was in high school. I am a bit sad that, soon, I will have read all of his science fiction novels. This treasure trove of fiction is almost mined completely. And so, it was with great joy that, a few years ago, I happened to stumble upon an author I like almost as much as old Phil, and that author is Theodore Sturgeon.

So far I've only read three novels (The Dreaming Jewels, More Than Human and To Marry Medusa) and a handful of short stories. On my "to read shelf" I have 12 or so collections of short stories and another novel to read, and I only plan on getting more - everything I can, as a matter of fact.

I figured this would be as good a place as any to post my reviews and thoughts of his work, and I hope they spark some good conversation.

I don't run into a lot of people who have read Ted's stuff, and this doesn't surprise me. He is often described as a writer's writer, and I liken him to a literary King Crimson. He writes for people who love the craft of writing, so it comes as no surprise that he is often most highly praised by other authors.

I plan on reading a ton of his stuff this year, and I hope to populate this thread with some insightful reviews.

To Marry Medusa - 1958
(a.k.a. The Galactic Rape (which is a much better title, IMO))

Gurlick. The illiterate stumble bum. The drunken louse, the destroyer of humanity. The eater of the soggy, discarded, horse-meat hamburger. The receptacle for the alien's spawn.

The Medusa. An alien hive-mind. The consumer of two galaxies, whose next target is the Earth.

Guido. The hater of melody, the murderous prankster. Hell-bent on the total annihilation of all music, and those who would make it.

Henry. The boy too-tall for his age, with a face like an adult's. Abused by his father. “You're a sissy, a coward,” he says. So scared and frightened, all he can do is cry.

Dimity Carmichael. An ugly and lonely woman. Haggard. She lives vicariously through the sexual escapades of a young woman addicted to the act.

Sharon Brevix. The four year old. Inadvertently left on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere by her mother and father. Left all alone, except for a doll, to wander the country side.

So far as I can tell, Theodore Sturgeon did not populate his books with typical heroes. His books are not full of dashing men and gorgeous woman performing feats of daring-do, saving the world, and having a grand time doing it. Sturgeon liked to introduce his readers to the less desirable, the dregs of humanity, the discarded, the forgotten, the downtrodden. The kind of people, good or bad, that other people consciously try to avoid coming in contact with. You know the kind. You're walking down the street. Ahead of you, you see a man. He looks dirty, unkempt, you can already smell him. Is that piss, or blood streaming down his leg? Does he only have one shoe on? You don't know him. He could be a great man on the inside, a man in need of compassion, or help, or a dollar, or a smoke. All you know is that at the next light, you're crossing, even though you don't need to. And then, perhaps later, you start to question why you did what you did. As human beings, shouldn't we want to help one another? Sturgeon writes about these kinds men and woman, and he does so with passion, with sincerity, and with an uncanny understanding of humanity.

Like The Dreaming Jewels and More Than Human, To Marry Medusa is not a book to be taken lightly, to flippantly read through to pass the time. Even though Sturgeon was toying with genre conventions, and working within the realm of science fiction, this is heavy duty stuff. Essentially, you could boil down the book's plot to a simple alien invasion story. This is the skinny wireframe, the postulation: what if an alien hive mind came to consume the Earth, and what if this being's first contact with humanity was in the shape of a total loser, a man who hated humanity? In order to bring the minds of the people back into formation, to reform the gestalt of the one mind, The Medusa must first learn how to work through a fractured and troubled psyche.

So, while the basic idea itself is nothing new, the way Sturgeon handles it casts forth a brilliant light and strips away any feelings of tiredness, cliche, and banality. The structure alternates between the Gurlick/Medusa arc, and a series of anecdotes detailing the actions of different characters throughout the world. What do these seemingly random events have to do with The Medusa's plan? At first, things feel disjointed, chaotic, and strange. Sturgeon switches POV, one of the narratives is told through the first person, while the others are told through third person, and it really isn't clear what any of these things have to do with anything else. However, rest assured, Sturgeon brings everything together in a masterful way. It is clear that I was in the hands of an author who truly understood the power of fiction, and knew how to craft his prose to deliver the maximum impact. Sturgeon's writing is exemplary, but it is not often easy to read. He has a unique voice, with his own rhythm and cadence. He's a literary King Crimson, and once you tap into his gig, it totally delivers in amazing ways.

I - and “I,” now, think as I work of what is happening - a different kind of thinking than any I have ever known...if thinking was seeing, then all my life I have thought in a hole in the ground, and now I think on a mountaintop. To think of any question is to thing of the answer, if the answer exists in the experience of any other part of “I.” If I wonder what I was chosen to make that leap from the car, using all my strength and all its speed to carry me exactly to that point in space where the descending machines would be, then the wonder doesn't last long enough to be called that: I know why I was chosen, on the instant of wondering

To Marry Medusa takes the concepts of an alien invasion, and wraps around this simple convention a vibrant exploration of humanity. At it's core are the themes important to Sturgeon: loss, loneliness, love, abuse, and passion. More so than any other genre author I have read, I get the sense that Sturgeon truly loved mankind. Even while he was writing about despicable characters doing nasty things to one another and themselves, he never comes across as being misanthropic. He was not pointing out these biological blemishes to show how faulty we are, but, rather, he was showing us the directions in which we should aim our compassion, love, patience, and understanding. Sometimes it is hard for us to see the humanity under the grotesque surface, but Sturgeon could, and I believe that he wanted to help lift this veil so that we might experience something good and awesome.

Last edited:
Dear, wonderful, quirky, irascible Ted! While it's been a long time since I've read much Sturgeon, I'd consider him one of the best voices of the period; almost always challenging, and very much a humanist writer in his approach.

Personally, I've always had a great deal of liking for "The [Widget], the [Wadget], and Boff", and "The Chromium Helmet" (which was the first story I ever read by him, iirc... in an anthology titled Science Fiction Inventions (that began with C.M. Kornbluth's "'No, No, Not Rogov!" and went from there....

Contents Lists

(Jeez! I was only 9 at the time!!!)

And yes, in many ways, Ted was a "writer's writer"... though he could spin as entertaining a tale as anyone I can think of....

Personally, I've always had a great deal of liking for "The [Widget], the [Wadget], and Boff"

And yes, in many ways, Ted was a "writer's writer"... though he could spin as entertaining a tale as anyone I can think of....

I need to read that one. I've heard many great things about it. Unfortunately, I don't think it is in any of the volumes I have at the moment.

And I agree. He was a writer's writer, but he could still knock a plot out of the park.

I do find that when I begin a Sturgeon story, after having read other authors, I have to adjust to Sturgeon-more. He had such a unique rhythm, and if I don't succumb to his cadence and voice, I don't get the full experience.

I just ordered The [Widget], the [Wadget], and Boff.

I look forward to your feedback on this one. I first read it in Anthony Boucher's wonderful two-volume Treasury of Great Science Fiction (which, if you're interested, is still relatively easy to come across, as it was in print with the book clubs for quite a long time -- a good thirty years or more, I believe -- and not generally at all expensive. Here's the WorldCat page on the contents for the anthology:

A treasury of great science fiction; [WorldCat.org]

Hell of a lot of good reading there... and if you like Sturgeon, I'd wager you'd also really like Kuttner and Moore and C. M. Kornbluth....

I look forward to your feedback on this one. I first read it in Anthony Boucher's wonderful two-volume Treasury of Great Science Fiction (which, if you're interested, is still relatively easy to come across, as it was in print with the book clubs for quite a long time -- a good thirty years or more, I believe -- and not generally at all expensive. Here's the WorldCat page on the contents for the anthology:

A treasury of great science fiction; [WorldCat.org]

Hell of a lot of good reading there... and if you like Sturgeon, I'd wager you'd also really like Kuttner and Moore and C. M. Kornbluth....

Thanks for the recs and the link. I will definitely check some of this stuff out. I have not read any of the three authors you mentioned, so thanks!

Tonight I am starting a collection of three shorts by Sturgeon called, Case and the Dreamer. Sounds interesting.

More Than Human

Child abuse, broken psyches, freaks, cripples, social outcasts, and rejects, these are the things with which Theodore Sturgeon populates his twisted book, More Than Human; it's the Island of Misfit Toys for discerning adults. More Than Human is not a light read; it is not something to flippantly turn to at the end of the day in hopes of clearing one's mind of work. This book does not put the mind at ease, but instead it invigorates the imagination and stirs the emotional cortex of the reader; while reading it, I was angry, sad, happy, and fearful. This is no sippin' book, this is a book to be devoured, to poor over, a book to study. It is a book full of intricacies, tightly plotted with bold characterizations. It is subtle when it needs to be, full of bombast when the occasion calls. And above all, it is damn good.

Theodore Sturgeon was some kind of mad genius, and he also possessed the power to draw his readers into his dark and twisted psychosis. I don't mean to say the man was emotionally disturbed, but after reading this, and The Dreaming Jewels, it is clear that he liked to push buttons and stretch the boundaries of genre fiction as far as they could be stretched for the time. I didn't simply read More Than Human: I experienced it, I felt it, and I lived within its milieu. It enraptured me. It drew me into its twisted world like few other books have. I approached each reading session with trepidation, because I knew that I would be challenged with each passing page. This is a dense and stirring experience, and I sometimes felt mentally exhausted after spending time with it. And this is a good thing, because compared to what the characters go through, my feelings of anxiousness and tension meant nothing.

At it's core, More Than Human explores what may be the next step in human evolution. It examines what Sturgeon calls a gestalt human, homo gestalt, or a being comprised of many. The book begins by focusing on Lone, a social outcast, a reject, who has the power to make people do things. He recalls moments when he was cold, and people gave him clothing, moments when he was hungry and people gave him food. However, due to his limited mental capacity, he doesn't quite understand the extent of his powers, but at the same time he doesn't exploit his powers to take advantage of others. His naivety and simplistic ways kept him humble and good natured, but they also lead to some frustration.

Soon, Lone discovers his calling and is spiritually drawn to a place of learning and peace. Through Lone's experiences we are introduced to most of the central characters. There's Bonnie and Beannie, twins who have the power of teleportation, and are also the victims of child abuse. Because of the their unique powers, they often lose their clothing and spend a lot of their time running around naked. Next is Janie, her gift is telekinesis, and she, too, is a victim of abuse. Janie becomes the mother-figure for the group and plays a crucial role in the third part of the book. After Janie comes Baby, Lone's mongoloid step-brother. Baby is grotesquely deformed, worse than a vegetable, although his infant mind is capable of profound reasoning and deduction. And finally there is Gerry and Hip, two beings involved in the central conflict of morality and ethics as the homo gestalt comes to terms with its place in a society in which they are together and simultaneously alone.

While the above description may lead you to believe that this is some kind of New Mutants, or some X-Men-like narrative full of remarkable, unique individuals who rise above social rejection to become great heroes, it is, in fact, nothing like this. This is a hard nut to crack, and to explain it only complicates matters. More Than Human is an unrelenting novel; it is dense, and full of far reaching, lofty ambition. It never slows down for the reader to catch up, and it never holds the reader's hand through its twisted and beautifully poetic passages.

The book is a labyrinth of emotional detail and subtlety, punctuated with moments of extreme violence, callousness, sadness, and triumph. What we are experiencing within this narrative is the genesis of a new kind of thought, a new kind of being, and all of the pains of growing up are accounted for. Sturgeon traces the formation of the homo gestalt from its conception through its first steps into actuality, into learning to live as a whole. More Than Human took me to places I've never dreamed of, and through Sturgeon's incredible prose I was introduced to characters and a world teeming with life and nuance.

I finished Case and the Dreamer and If All Men Are Brothers Would You Let One Marry Your Sister today. I don't really know what to think of either of these. They both seem to be lacking that Sturgeon magic that I've come to expect. Granted, when a man writes as many stories as Sturgeon did, some of them are bound to be lesser works, but these just didn't grab me. They are hard stories to wrap my ahead around. I think I need to reread them, as I usually have to do with short stories.

Does anyone have any insight into these, something that might make me say, "aha!"?

"If All Men Were Brothers..." is a story that grew on me, rather than me liking it to begin with. It's the structure of the thing, for starters, which seems rather awkward, but a reread may alter your perspective on that (it did with me, anyway). It's an odd story, and I don't think it's one of his best... but I do think it's a good story... just a very odd one.....

"If All Men Were Brothers..." is a story that grew on me, rather than me liking it to begin with. It's the structure of the thing, for starters, which seems rather awkward, but a reread may alter your perspective on that (it did with me, anyway). It's an odd story, and I don't think it's one of his best... but I do think it's a good story... just a very odd one.....

I just finished rereading it, and you are right. The structure is odd, and it threw me off. When I first read it, I wasn't quite sure of the tone and where it was going. I didn't really care for the conversation between Charlie and the Master. I thought it took too long to get to Vevxelt, where I thought the story finally got interesting. But on my second read, I realized that this was the point, and that point is: there is something even more powerful than greed, and that thing is such a hated taboo that it overrides all other thoughts, desires and needs. I rather like the story now, even though it is not among my favorites.

Glad you liked it more the second time 'round. Oddly, though I don't think it's among his best, it is a personal favorite of mine, for various reasons. One of them being: as it was originally written for and published in Dangerous Visions, which was an anthology which set out in part to tackle subjects normally considered taboo in sf (or which were usually handled pretty gingerly), it fulfilled that requirement admirably. For another, it takes a very unpopular approach in seeming... yet a closer examination raises the question whether he's really taking that approach, or simply playing devil's advocate to get people to probe into why this is such a strong taboo. Either way, it was, for its time, a "dangerous" vision to be coming from such an accepted writer in the field as Sturgeon, and it did what I think the best art always does: challenge one to think about one's views. The best art is often dangerous; not because it seeks to sensationalize or shock, but because it asks uncomfortable questions....

It extrapolates upon its taboo subject masterfully, and once we get to the meat of the narrative, and we realize what it is that Sturgeon is conveying, it becomes rather thought provoking.

Why are some things so taboo that we cannot, no matter what the ends, see past them? Are there things that are so taboo that we would rather avoid them even if embracing them might, say, lead to the cure of cancer and insanity?

This seems like the basic question Sturgeon asked himself before writing. And in the long list of taboo subjects, there isn't much of anything more taboo than incest.

I've always thought of Sturgeon as an author who liked to push buttons, and this offers more proof. However, he does not press buttons for shock value, but, instead, he does so so that we will look at things in a slightly different light, and continue, or begin, to "Ask the question."

Ask the question.

Was that not Sturgeon's motto, his mantra, the guiding thought behind most everything he wrote?

While he is only playing devil's advocate here, he is most definitely not condoning incestuous relationships, he does bring up some fascinating questions about the topic.

Let's simply agree that incest is absolutely morally wrong. What is so biologically wrong with it? Most people will answer that the problem comes with a thinning gene pool and that babies will be born with deformities and with mental retardation. But aren't babies born with these problems in "normal" sexual relationships? And, don't "normally" sexually active people engage in the act of sex without the desire to reproduce? Why does the word "incest" trigger within us thoughts of biological defect? Dogs and cows are inbred, by human manipulators, to bring about desirable biological traits. A bull will have its way with generations of its own offspring. And we encourage this for our own well-being.

Ask the question.

Don't just agree with the answers we are told.

Sturgeon is amazing.

Last edited:
Oh, and thanks J. D. I needed a little mental prodding on this one. I have never been adept at deciphering short stories. I've always preferred the novel. In short stories, I often find that they are over before my mind really gets to sink into them. I almost always have to read them multiple times before they really engage me.

Hey j.d.,

I just got both volumes of the Treasury of Great Science Fiction.

They looks awesome, lot's of stuff I've never read.

Thanks for the rec.

LOL.... Great! Wonderful stuff in there. I have trouble with only one or two of the tales (the Rogers, for example), but otherwise it really is a sterling collection of classic sf.

As for Sturgeon saying "ask the question"... interestingly, that was exactly what he went into in his afterword to "If All Men Were Brothers....": the fact that people get so upset at certain subjects that they can't even think rationally about them at all. Sometimes, if you are actually able to pull back and examine your reaction and the issue, you find all that simply dissipates and makes no sense. Other times, you find that there is a sound basis for an adverse reaction. But one should always be able to ask probing questions about anything.

Or, as Sherman Edwards and Peter Stone had Stephen Hopkins put it, in 1776: "Well, I'll tell y' -- in all my years I never heard, seen, nor smelled an issue that was so dangerous it couldn't be talked about. Hell yes, I'm for debatin' anything--"

And yes, I'd say this was one of the major themes of Sturgeon's work... it certainly fits the bill with "The [Widget], the [Wadget], and Boff"....

I love the phrase, "ask the question."

In some thematic ways, it reminds me of something I once heard Robert Anton Wilson say. He said that people should say "yet" more - because it leaves open a chance.

"I haven't read that, yet."
"I haven't been to China, yet."

RAW was into general semantics, and studied the power of words a great deal.

I don't know if RAW ever met Sturgeon, but I bet they would have totally hit it off.

You two having a nice chat?
Sorry I've only been listening in – not that I've not been interested, but my minds a bit fuzzy on antibiotics, and besides, I've agreed with just about everything said ('specially the Kornbluth) so what's the sense of me butting in?

Sorry to hear you're not well, Chris. Be better soon. And I'd love to hear your thoughts on Sturgeon once you feel up to posting them....

You two having a nice chat?
Sorry I've only been listening in – not that I've not been interested, but my minds a bit fuzzy on antibiotics, and besides, I've agreed with just about everything said ('specially the Kornbluth) so what's the sense of me butting in?

Hope you get to feeling better so you can join in on the fun!

Has anyone read Dr. Lahna f. Laskin's book on Sturgeon and his work? I think it is just titled, Theodore Sturgeon. I am thinking of picking it up, unless I hear it isn't worth the read.