Re-animator....

Pyan

Gaudete! Ver adest iterum!
Staff member
Supporter
Short notice I know, but Film4 are showing this, based on Herbert West - re-animator at 11.40 this evening.

It is perversely brilliant :p

I have seen this one, From Beyond, Dagon, Dreams in The Witch-House...and have yet to be disappointed in a Gordon-Lovecraft offering...OK, Castle Freak was kinda off, but the source material never really lent itself for movie making.

It is perversely brilliant :p

I have seen this one, From Beyond, Dagon, Dreams in The Witch-House...and have yet to be disappointed in a Gordon-Lovecraft offering...OK, Castle Freak was kinda off, but the source material never really lent itself for movie making.

On the whole, I have to agree with you; though I'll be honest and say I didn't much care for From Beyond or Dagon the first time I saw them, but they've certainly grown on me since... a lot more there than meets the eye.

As for Castle Freak... I watched that one again recently and, while still not anywhere close to the others, it's a better film than I thought the first time 'round. For all his glittery, sexually perverse surface, there's a lot of thought to Gordon's offerings (in this vein, anyway; I've not yet watched his other work... though I'm becoming very tempted); Gordon and Paoli are both careful craftsmen who make it look simpler and easier than it really is....

Re-Animator is an absolute horror classic. It's unique in that it never descends into self-parody, but it doesn't take itself seriously, either. The acting is great, the script is HILARIOUS (in a black sort of way) and the special effects are appropriately gory. I give it the Randolph Stamp of Approval.

Must admit i've not liked Gordon's Lovecraft-"adaptations", i mean that they are fun and entertaining enough, but not exactly what i look for in movies :) But i did laugh my head off seeing Re-Animator on big screen...but i prefer subtlety and style over excess of 'fun'.
(Gordon's 2nd season episode for Masters of Horror, the Black Cat, about Poe, was wonderful, though...he did it much more seriously than his Lovecraft-pieces).

My favourite Lovecraft-adaptation is the Dunwich Horror with Dean Stockwell, i thought it was succesful and well-made...almost felt like Lovecraft wrote the thing with Stockwell in mind for the part.

Never saw it.Though to the story-even the things HPL disliked,I realy did enjoy,"The Haunter of the dark" and this was realy marvelous.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Tinsel H P Lovecraft 15
L H P Lovecraft 8
K General Film Discussion 3