Gates of fire

This is one of the most famous battles in history, even a piece of sh*t like, "300," would've got some of it right. So far, the best treatment of the incident I've seen in film is that old chestnut, "The 300 Spartans," although Herodotus may well have been the original source.

It is notable, though, that after Marathon, the Persians came back. Thermopylae ('Gates of Fire,' is a literal translation.) gave the Greeks time to gather their forces and fight in unison, the naval battle at Salamis and the land battle at Platea so decisively shattered their fleet and armies respectively, that the Persians never came back and Western Civilisation was saved.

I think you'll find Herodotus was a major source for The 300 Spartans, 300, and Gates of Fire.

Minor nitpick, "Thermopylae" means "Hot Gates", not "Gates of Fire".

I read this book over a dozen years ago. I enjoyed it for what it is.

Pressfield really strives to humanize the characters involved without overly debunking the myth. Desperation versus confidence. Morality versus expedience. Sacrifice versus avarice. These themes are brought to a personal level and not just left as statistics.

I think I'll be taking my next comments over to History vs Cinema.