Highlander - The source

Harleyquin

ok, they released it... supposedly the "answer" to why immortals are immortal. A great quest for the truth.

I've watched all the Highlander movies, the series, the spin off cartoon... and yes this is probbably the single worst piece of tosh I've wasted 1hr 34 mins of my life on

lets take Highlander 2.. a film uneversally drubbed as terribly - this makes that seem the pinicle of great cinima. Take highlander Endgame where they killed off conner maccloud.. there where some actual redeaming points to that mess, the source however is just rubish from start to end. I'm honestly at a loss to find even one good moment - just one... but nope not a single one.

I'll not put any spoilers in here for anybody loony enough to watch it, but surfice to say that by the end you still dont have a clue why they are immortal, and more over what the point of the film was... perhaps redemption? I'm struggling... I really am but honestly this really is the final and finishing nail in the current Highlander Franchise, head neatly seavered...

for the sake of a once great film - no more!

I sort of guessed that it would be so;
anything that can make its way to DVD without a cinema release or a single advert or a major build up is bound to be a disaster

I second the last statment

I third it..... The Source was meant to be a trilogy, thank God the first one sucked so bad they didn't bother with the other two.

I hated it like hell.

No offense to people who like the sequels, but I think there was no need for any sequels to the original. The ending was a good way to end the Connor McLeod saga but they went and made another. No villain has ever beaten the Kurgan as best villain of the series.

abolutely agree.

the actual premise was great and the surprise death was an awesome move from a story telling standpoint.

The Guardian was quite possibly the worst Highlander villian ever...period.

The new weapons for Duncan were so weak. Why not give him a spatula? Honestly.

The Methos character got ruined.

The only thing that remotely made an impact for me what the revelation of what "There can be only one" means....and then it ruined the franchise. The first and second movies go to great lengths to show what the prize is. The third and fourth movies have big villains chasing the prize. Then the fifth movie makes it that? As a parent, I can understand how it's a great gift...but certainly not one worth murder to achieve.

It's no surprise, though. The creators of Highlander never knew what the Prize was to begin with. Back in the 80s they could get away with a big light show climax to "wow" the audience.

Nowadays, people aren't so easily impressed with the light and magic of film making. The creators of Highlander at least realize that much, but they really have little imagination, and it's showing.

Highlander has become a vehicle for those guys to make a few bucks, not to tell good stories with.

I think you're confusing "The Prize" with "The Quickening". The lightshow is the Quickening, which was explained in the first movie as the transfer of the knowledge and power of the dead immortal (decapitated) to the victorious. They kept that alive throughout all of the movies and the series.

In the first movie, "The Prize" was the power of all of the immortals and the knowledge of all things. That belief seems to have lasted all the way to "The Source" which turned "The Prize" (SPOILER!) into the ability to finally have children. Which is a cute thought, but ultimately self-defeating. Plus in the second movie they ruined the Prize by making the immortals aliens. ugh.

Actually, the Prize was always the ability to have children, even in the first movie. Connor MaCleod explained that it allowed him to "live, have children, love, and grow old."

One thing I've always found interesting about that first movie, and subsequently, "The Source" was that Connor MaCleod experienced his first quickening without decapitating an immortal. About 20 years later, (Real time) Duncan receives the Prize by not taking a head.

I'm going to have to watch that first movie again, lol. I think I missed something.

Yes, in the first one Connor McCleod is experiencing "The Quickening" on the mountain top. In the directors cut there's some audio commentary from the two main producers that Ramirez is some sort of magician who can share his power or something equally silly to plug a major plot hole.

In 'The Source' it's revealed that one doesn't need to take a head to get the prize, in fact if Duncan did he would have turned into 'The Guardian'. That's why I was very annoyed with that movie. It ruins the mythology of the whole series.

This film is in league with Lucifer!!!
Though it was interesting to see Duncan use butterfly swords....I've not seen a bigger pile of crud in my life

Found the DVD in a bargain bin. I regret paying the £1.25 every day since. This really destroyed the Highlander series for me. I severely dislike the Guardian, I really didn't like the final fight, I hated Giovanni, and I absolutely despise the ending!

Ah well, at least Methos got in a good line or two.

This movie is so terrible that a) it was only released on SciFi and b) i've watched it once and remember almost NOTHING about it.

Pretty much everything mentioned in this thread - aside from having a kid - I don't remember at all. Well, and that Methos and Joe were character-assassinated.