Most Loved Character

Who out of all of the characters do you like the most?

• Total voters
I really like Arutha too and I see I´m not alone, he´s just a really good character, but I alsoreally like the others, Pug and Tomas (but more when the weren´t so powerful but just normal innocent boys xD), and of course Arutha´s brothers I really liked the bond between them and of course Mara of Acoma and Nakor <3 his oranges just killed me xD and like Nixie wrote Fantus too, he was always so cute xD and calssicaly Jimmy the Hand, I just wasn´t able to choose bacuse there are so many good characters but Arutha won it xD

Prince Arutha and Amos Trask are my favorite, after them Nakor, Roo and Erik.

i enjoyed amos trask also. one of my favourite things about the riftwar was that magician and darkness at sethanon end on his line. refreshing to see a secondary character crack a joke, rather than have pug pull the curtains down.

Morvai/Tinuva (Honoured Enemy) or Gorath (Krondor The Betrayal)

Both were true hero's, even though they were of the Moredhel and born to a darker path than their Eledhel cousins they in their own ways saved many, While Morvai did not save the entire world as Gorath did, both felt the call of the Returning (although Gorath never finished the journey) They both gave their lives that others could live.

I like Jimmy, but my favourite is the Gorath and Owyn duo. Which is ironic, seeing as Feist didn't create them.

They just work so well together - opposites in just about every aspect imaginable, from different cultures, opposite ends of the age spectrum, different combat abilities, different upbringing, opposite personalities, etc... Complementary to each other. So it's all the more heartwarming when they become friends, and works very well for that story and the unwritten question of whether friendly or neutral human/moredhel relations are possible: If those two can become friends, anything can happen.

Gorath and Owyn werent entirley opposite much as Tomas and Ashen Shugar werent entirley opposites. Yes in some ways they are like night and day but they had some similar core values.

Firstly they are both loyal to a fault, both have courage and are prepared to sacrafice everything to save those they care about, both look past their races natural inclination to hate each other.

I wouldn't say that about Owyn. By the end of things, certainly, but at the beginning, he's just a green youth with zero experience with danger or adventuring - you can't call someone courageous and loyal unless they've had a chance to put those qualities to the test. BaK is very much a "coming of age story" for him. Certainly, Gorath's influence helped, but initially at least, they DO have very, very few things in common.

both look past their races natural inclination to hate each other

I'd argue that wasn't much of a factor with Owyn. It likely helped a lot that he was from the Eastern Kingdom (Timons or Tiburn, depending on the adaptation), living far from the moredhel border, and thus likely had neither direct nor second-hand experience with moredhel, nor personal baggage along the lines of "Those bastards killed my father/brother/son". Though he's initially wary when they first meet, it shows that the moredhel have likely been a rather distant issue to him until that point, and he's far more open-minded, non-judgemental and generally curious (like he is about everything - I remember the book has a nice scene where Gorath compliments Owyn's desire to "understand" things and it really sounds like he respects him there), which probably really helped Gorath warm up to him, as well.

If there's a pattern, it's that Gorath seems to get along swimmingly with those who don't approach him with automatic suspicion and hostility (e.g. Owyn, Dolgan, Katala), which kind of makes sense: To an edhel, with their much greater sensitivity to body language and subtleties in communication, something like Jimmy's tendency to frown and be terse and snappy at him would feel like the equivalent of constantly glaring daggers and making rude gestures.

Back