Selected Works of H. P. Lovecraft

ghyle

Subspace Dowson
Just an idle thought for a thread, but let's say you wanted to publish a selected works of Lovecraft. What would you include, and why?

Myself, I would include a selection of the satirical poems, including "Waste Paper", as well as the Fungi from Yuggoth and "The East India Brick Row". Along with other work.

Perhaps, we could reach an idea of the contents by consensus, and some one (or more) of us could actually consider acting on the idea? What do you think?

Are we talking just his poetry, or a selection from his various types of writing (including fiction, letters, essays)? If the latter (which, given the nature of quite a lot of his correspondence, as well as no few of his essays, would be my own choice, I think)... making such a selection would take considerable time and thought. If the former... I think I'd also include a handful of his pastoral poetry, though not a great deal, as most readers would find them difficult to get through. (Myself, I find various fascinating points in most of his poetry... though few of those points have to do with the bulk of his poetry as poetry....)

I was thinking that a selection from all of his work would be of interest. It would give a measure of his interests, as well as his reach, overall.

I just talked about poetry because that is my main interest, really, but the whole of Supernatural Horror would work as well, no?

I think I would at least include some sizable excerpts from SHiL... certainly the introduction and first chapter, and perhaps selections here and there. (If it's a large enough volume, then yes, the entire essay would be a good choice.)

As for his letters... I think there's so much to choose from dealing with politics, religion, philosophy, art, science, etc., etc., etc.; not to mention so much that is revealing of the multifaceted nature of the man, that it really is an overabundance of riches, when it comes to choosing. (Though I think I would include his November 16, 1916 letter to Rheinhart Kleiner, as it appears in Letters to Rheinhart Kleiner, as it is not only very informative biographically, with shows forth his sense of humor, his verve, and even some of his pricklier qualities -- I love his reconstructed conversation with Grandpa Phillips, for instance... I've known kids like that, and it's always a toss-up whether to be exasperated or absolutely tickled with 'em....)

His fiction and essays will be very difficult to choose from, as well, though I think "The Colour Out of Space" is an absolute must. (I'd also be very tempted to use The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, simply because of the fact it is a love-song to Providence in so many ways, and therefore highlights so many of his best qualities as a writer of weird and regional fiction.)

Still going to have to give this some thought, but one thing I'm fairly sure of: I'd also include The Poe-et's Nightmare as well. I'm one of those who actually feels that the two differing tones complement each other, and that even the cosmic section would lose by separation from its comic framework. (I read them separately, just to see how each came across, and found that the framing sections brought even more richness to it, partly by contrast, partly through other things, heightening the irony and the awe of the whole.)

When it comes to fiction, I would like to include at least one of his openly humorous tales, preferably "Sweet Ermengarde" and maybe "Ibid" too, to show his diversity.

When it comes to fiction, I would like to include at least one of his openly humorous tales, preferably "Sweet Ermengarde" and maybe "Ibid" too, to show his diversity.

A good idea... though I'm also very partial to "A Reminiscence of Dr. Samuel Johnson", which is by no means simply cribbed from Boswell's famous biography, and is full of sly humor, self-parody, and brilliant wordplay... as well as genuine wit. "Ibid", however, is one of the most delightful parodies of that sort of scholarship I've ever seen....

Hello all. It's been a while. :)

I haven't read enough of Lovecraft's poetry to make a qualified suggestion, but as far as fiction goes I would say:

The Colour Out of Space, The Outsider, The Quest of Iranon, The Cats of Ulthar, The Call of Cthulhu, Ibid, The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, Dagon, and The Dunwhich Horror. I might add "The Shadow Out of Time" as well.

I think this would a pretty good cross-section of his work, with a bit of humor, straight horror, fantasy and, of course, classic Lovecraft.