Blink

Lizi

newby - be nice!
Hi everyone :)

i need some help

there is a quote in 'blink' (possibly my favorite episode yet) that i'd like to ...well quote in some work i'm doing, (art student) but i don't know what it is
please help me!!

i think it was either Sally's friend Kathy nightingale, or her brother larry nightingale asked Sally why she liked the old house, and i want to know the exact words she replied. it was something along the lines of beautiful, sadness, history.... can't remember what tho - should have written it down!

i'm a poor student so i can't afford the boxset yet (i'm working on it) but anyone who has it - could you have a little look for me please?
i'll be your best friend ;)

on knees.... groveling :)
love lizi
xx

ps: sorry if you already read this message in the quotes thread :eek:

Kathy: What did you come here for anyway?
Sally: I love old things. They make me feel sad.
Kathy: What's good about sad?
Sally: It's happy for deep people.

(verbatim from audio and subtitles)

For those (like me) who think this episode was one of the all time best stories Dr Who has thrown up during recent years, you might like to try reading Stone Heart by Charlie Fletcher (I just finished it last night). It was written significantly before the Dr Who episode ... and even has a chapter called 'Don't Blink'. The book is one of the fastest paced YA fantasy thrillers I've ever read and guess what - the story is all about statues coming to life all over London. I wonder where the writers of Dr Who got this idea from ... :)

I seem to remember at the time that Steven Moffatt wrote the story which underlies "Blink" as a story for a Dr Who magazine or annual. It "starred" a much younger Sally Sparrow, i.e. around 10 years old, since the story was aimed at kids.

PS - I agree with it being one of the best episodes (and IMO many of the other best are also Mr Moffatt).

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying this is definitely where the idea came from, or even who had the idea first, really. It is a remarkable coincidence, though. What makes it an even better coincidence is that Charlie Fletcher's book is every bit as good as the Dr Who episode was ... but different. The 'Don't Blink' chapter in his case referred to a stone Minotaur that was so fast you could hardly see it move. You have to read it to understand the significance. I don't want to give spoilers to such a great book. :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
REBerg Technology 5
Lenny Doctor Who 60