Bibliography - Robin Hobb

rune

rune
This author has written under another name so I've included those books too :)

As Megan Lindholm

The Ki and Vandien Quartet

Harpy's Flight (1983)
The Windsingers (1984)
The Limbreth Gate (1984)
Luck of the Wheels (1989)

Tillu and Kerlew

The Reindeer People (1988)
Wolf's Brother (1988)

Other books

Wizard of the Pigeons (1985)
Cloven Hooves (1991)
Alien Earth (1992)
The Gypsy (1992) with Steven Brust

Short stories

1989 - Silver Lady and the Fortyish Man - Asimov's Science Fiction Nebula finalist, winner of Asimov's Readers Award
1989 - A Touch of Lavender - Asimov's Science Fiction Nebula and Hugo finalist and Asimov's Readers Award winner
1994 - The Fifth Squashed Cat - Xanadu II anthology, edited by Jane Yolen
1998 - Strays - Warrior Princesses anthology, edited by Elizabeth Ann Scarborough
2001 - Cut - Asimov's Science Fiction Nebula finalist
2006 - Grace Notes - The Fair Folk anthology edited by Marvin Kaye, published SF Book Club
2012 - Old Paint Asimov Science Fiction
2013 - Neighbors in the Dangerous Women anthology edited by Gardner Dozois and George R.R. Martin.

As Robin Hobb

The Realm of the Elderlings:

The Farseer Trilogy

Assassin's Apprentice (1995)
Royal Assassin (1996)
Assassin's Quest (1997)

Liveship Traders Trilogy

Ship of Magic (1998)
The Mad Ship (1999)
Ship of Destiny (2000)

The Tawny Man Trilogy

Fool's Errand (2001)
The Golden Fool (2002)
Fool's Fate (2003)

The Rain Wild Chronicles

Dragon Keeper (2009)
Dragon Haven (2010)
City of Dragons (2011)
Blood of Dragons (2013)

The Fitz and the Fool Trilogy

Fool's Assassin (2014)
Fool's Quest (forthcoming, 11 August 2015)
Assassin's Fate (working title, forthcoming, 2016)

Other Elderlings novels

The Willful Princess and the Piebald Prince (Farseer Trilogy's prequel) (2013)

Soldier Son Trilogy

Shaman's Crossing (2005)
Forest Mage (2006)
Renegade's Magic (2008)

Short stories

The Inheritance (The Realm of the Elderlings) in Voyager 5: Collector's Edition. Promotional paperback, not for sale. Can be bought as an ebook from Amazon.com. Also in The Inheritance & Other Stories.
Homecoming (The Realm of the Elderlings) in Legends II, edited by Robert Silverberg (also in The Inheritance)
Words Like Coins (The Realm of the Elderlings) in A Fantasy Medley from Subterranean Press, edited by Yanni Kuznia
Blue Boots (The Realm of the Elderlings) in Songs of Love and Death (2010), edited by George R. R. Martin and Gardner Dozois.
Cat's Meat (The Realm of the Elderlings) in The Inheritance & Other Stories.
The Triumph, a historical story in the Warriors (2010) anthology edited by Gardner Dozois and George R.R. Martin.

Collections

The Inheritance & Other Stories (2011), contains seven stories written as Megan Lindholm (A Touch of Lavender, Silver Lady and the Fortyish Man, Cut, The Fifth Squashed Cat, Strays, Finis, Drum machine) and three stories (all set in the Realm of the Elderlings: Homecoming, The Inheritance, Cat's meat) written as Robin Hobb.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldier Son
Shaman's Crossing (2005) - release date July 2005 :D

Rune, did you read something from her writings as Megan Lindholm ? I'm curious if those books are as well written as the others.

Alexa said:
Rune, did you read something from her writings as Megan Lindholm ? I'm curious if those books are as well written as the others.

I have read some of her books under the Megan Lindholm name and they are quite good :D

Alexa said:
Thanks, rune. I saw Raindeer People at the library. I'll give it a try when I finish with Eddings.:)

I've added to a thread already started in Hobb's forum about her other works :)

so after the Farseer Trilogy should i be reading Tawny Man triliogy next or the Liveship Traders trilogy?? What order is it please?

lea27 said:
so after the Farseer Trilogy should i be reading Tawny Man triliogy next or the Liveship Traders trilogy?? What order is it please?

There are a couple of threads on this, basically, you can read them in any order as long as Farseer is first.

The correct order is Farseer, Liveships then Tawny but other people read Tawny before Liveships and didn't have a problem.

I read them in order and found it easier, things slotted into place a lot faster!

xx

Adasunshine said:
There are a couple of threads on this, basically, you can read them in any order as long as Farseer is first.

The correct order is Farseer, Liveships then Tawny but other people read Tawny before Liveships and didn't have a problem.

I read them in order and found it easier, things slotted into place a lot faster!

xx

thanks

UPDATE

Soldier Son

Shaman's crossing - (2005)
Forest Mage - (2006)
Renegade's Magic

Last edited:
Dragon Keeper (likely to change)

From Robin Hobb' homepage
This book is set in the Rain Wilds, and chronologically, the events in it happen after the events described in Fool's Fate. It will not be a direct continuation of any character's story line, however. At this point, I don't want to say too much more than that.

Quality of writing dropped in Soldier Son

Thank you Nettle for alerting us to Robin Hobb's statement that she is working on a new book based in the Rainwilds. I will be looking forward to it. I'm a huge fan of her first nine books written under the name Robin Hobbs and mourned when I finished them.

I did read the first book of her Soldier Son series and I wondered if anyone agrees with me that the quality of writing dropped substantially, from her word choices to plot complexity to shallow characterization. I was so surprised, I checked the former nine books front and back to see if perhaps she had some kind of under-wraps co-author or even a different editor that might contribute to the difference in the writing.

What's everyone's thoughts on this?

I don't think the quality reduces; I think she takes on a new character and world and thus takes a different approach to the writing. I can still see the "Hobb" in the style of writing and in the characters. The first book is a little slower to build up than her Farseer books.

Mmm. I'll have to take another look at the series. Could be I was biased after finishing her other books. I felt they were the best read I'd had in years. I'll give the second book in the Soldier Son series a try. Thanks for you input. Maggs

You could also include in her list of works the short story "Homecoming" which is in the book “Legends II: New Short Novels by the Masters of Modern Fantasy.” Its a very good story, set in the Rain Wilds, I loved it.

I just saw on wikipedia she's working on a rain wilds book. :DI've not read the Soldier Son series maybe its just different, I mean a lot of folk dont like the Liveship traders as its not in first person. But am looking forward to having a look at this, will read soldier son at some point nad post me feelings on it!:D