Armadillo - Golden Compass Review

Mary Hoffman

Writer
I belong to the "other SAS" - Scattered Authors So
I haven't mentioned before on Chronicles that I edit an online review journal called Armadillo. It covers children's literature published in the UK, from picturebooks to YA. As well as reviews we have news, interviews and features.

The site is now free access but since we don't carry ads we do ask for a donation from people who think they will be regular users.

Why don't you check it out on Armadillo Magazine Online

Of particular interest to Chrons in the Winter issue - just up - might be my long film review of The Golden Compass.

Mary

A most comprehensive review indeed, Mary! I still haven't got around to seeing this, but will try to find the time to do so soon. Your review very much reminded me that it should be required viewing for me. A lot of things have slipped over the last few months due to my events silly season, followed closely by Christmas, (during which I was ill for the most part!) but I shall do my best to play catch up during the coming months. All I have to do first is to finish the draft of my next book in double quick time!

Edit: I almost forgot to mention that I also spotted the rather nice review of Imperial Traitor. What a nice man Dennis Hamley is!

Mary - an excellent review! I must rent the film out in english, just to hear all the original voices. A lot of the points you make are ones that came up discussing it with my family. As for "wasted" actors, in a way, Eva Green (Serafina) was wasted, in that you lost the background story between her and Farder Coram, which is sucha great part of the books. It came across as if she didn't love him any more because he was old and feeble :(
[the film] is too concerned with exciting action sequences and morally unequivocal characters so that the viewer is aware who is good (Lyra, Iorek, Scoresby, Serafina etc.) and who bad (Mrs Coulter, Tartars, Samoyeds and anyone from the Magisterium).
And there you lose one of the best things in the book - the fact that few people are entirely good or bad.

I liked the magazine very much. I'm off to check out the back issues now!

Back