Drawing of The Dark

On Stranger Tides,Anubis Gates,Declare.

On Stranger Tides was 4/5 stars and the other two was decent reads but not great like i expect of Tim Powers.

I should reall all his books i havent read this year. He isnt prolific writer which is why i havent read more books of him yet. You dont want read everything of his too fast ;)

No I agree but I've got all of his novels to date, so I will try to at least post thoughts on some of the less talked about books in 2010.

Night Conn...

No other Powers book have come near that book yet to me.

I assumed you had read this book, i read your other posts about Powers books.

No, I've been kind of limited by the books of his that my library system has, which hasn't been that many, as far as I've been able to tell. The local bookstores also seem to carry very little of his work.

After I read Last Call, for example, I had to go out and buy Expiration Date (which I had to special-order) and Earthquake Weather in order to finish the trilogy. Later on, I think the library got an edition that has all three novels in one, but that was long after I had finished the three books. I happened to pick up The Drawing of the Dark, along with a limited edition of A Soul in a Bottle, at a con a year or so ago, and am just getting around to reading it, and I bought Three Days to Never while I was on vacation when it first came out. I was, however, introduced to his work when I came upon Declare at the library.

I hope to get around to reading more of his work eventually.

No, I've been kind of limited by the books of his that my library system has, which hasn't been that many, as far as I've been able to tell. The local bookstores also seem to carry very little of his work.

After I read Last Call, for example, I had to go out and buy Expiration Date (which I had to special-order) and Earthquake Weather in order to finish the trilogy. Later on, I think the library got an edition that has all three novels in one, but that was long after I had finished the three books. I happened to pick up The Drawing of the Dark, along with a limited edition of A Soul in a Bottle, at a con a year or so ago, and am just getting around to reading it, and I bought Three Days to Never while I was on vacation when it first came out. I was, however, introduced to his work when I came upon Declare at the library.

I hope to get around to reading more of his work eventually.

He is more readily published today, his collections,novels.

The Drawing of the Dark might be the only novel of his i have seen that is out of print.

My bookstore always carry him since Last Call,Declare are always refilled in World Fantasy winners shelf.

The Drawing Of The Dark is part of Gollancz' Fantasy Masterworks series. Copies can still be had first-hand, although perhaps not for long.

I always thought the magic in it owed more to Leiber than Howard.

The Drawing Of The Dark is part of Gollancz' Fantasy Masterworks series. Copies can still be had first-hand, although perhaps not for long.

I always thought the magic in it owed more to Leiber than Howard.

Hmm. Good thought. There is a little of Fafhrd & the Gray Mouser in it.

The Drawing of the Dark FM version is out of print when i tried to order it. Just like few other FM books are like Lord Dunsany's The King of Elfland's Daugther. Both books i read Del Rey versions.

The Drawing of the Dark magic isnt so important, i thought the themes he used,the historical setting,the supernatural feel,the characters was the great thing. The Fisher King thing i hear he used in Last Call series.

There should be more quality historical fantasy set in real times like it.

Connavar, Amazon UK still lists the Masterworks edition of The Drawing Of The Dark as being for sale albeit down to their last 5 copies. At least one local bookstore still has the book in stock. There is also a 1996 edition from Del Rey which still appears to be in stock on Amazon US.

Connavar, Amazon UK still lists the Masterworks edition of The Drawing Of The Dark as being for sale albeit down to their last 5 copies. At least one local bookstore still has the book in stock. There is also a 1996 edition from Del Rey which still appears to be in stock on Amazon US.

They must have refilled, my bookstore told me they couldnt order it any more last year. Amazon arent always correct with their listings.

Plus i have read library version of the 1996 Del Rey. I'm looking for trade paperback quality of The three books in Last Call series.

Plus a short story collection.

You could always raid my library but then I would have to perform "alien" experiments on you.... ;)

There are several but I found Strange Itineraries to be quite good.

Its looks the best collection of his to get. Not limited,out of print one either.

I cant wait to try his short stories and see if he has the same talent for that format.

He's certainly got talent when it comes to the short story format but I still think his best at the Novel-length story.

Seeing as you don't go in for alien experimentation I'll have to try something else to bait you.. You are becoming too clever in your old age. SIGH....:( ;)

Night Conn.

I enjoy the short format more than novels when its done well. I'm a fan of the format. There is something about reading 20-40 pages a fresh short story written by a good writer.

There are fav writers who are better with novels that i still enjoy reading their writing in crisp short story. You dont have to be a short story master.

Finally finshed reading The Drawing of the Dark. Really enjoyed it a lot; I'm going to have to look for more of Powers's earlier work. Maybe my library system has more of it by now.

Drawing of the Dark is one of the novels that has really stuck with me over the years. Not a lot of magic incorporated into the story, but just an interesting tale with a few twists.

Quite different from anything else Powers has written.

The pun at the end took me entirely by surprise. All along I was wondering when a supernatural evil — the eponymous "dark" — was finally going to appear. Who would have guessed that the dark was already there?