Searching For Long Lost Book - Help!

zhirsch

Hey, so I'm trying to help my roommate remember the title of a book she read a long time ago... she doesn't remember the author, but it was a fantasy story that took place on another planet (possibly), in a desert where women were severely repressed. There was a female doctor, and she had a young apprentice. There was also a kind of secret cult of men who were raping women, and the doctor poisoned one who tried to rape her, and the apprentice somehow got blamed and ended up on trial. In the end, she dies in a prison cell. Her memory of the book is kind of shaky, and I might have recounted some of what she said wrong, but that's the general idea. She also remembers that the cover was of a woman wearing a long veil that was blowing in the wind.

Do any of you know the name of this book? Thanks!

Z

Hey, so I'm trying to help my roommate remember the title of a book she read a long time ago... she doesn't remember the author, but it was a fantasy story that took place on another planet (possibly), in a desert where women were severely repressed. There was a female doctor, and she had a young apprentice. There was also a kind of secret cult of men who were raping women, and the doctor poisoned one who tried to rape her, and the apprentice somehow got blamed and ended up on trial. In the end, she dies in a prison cell. Her memory of the book is kind of shaky, and I might have recounted some of what she said wrong, but that's the general idea. She also remembers that the cover was of a woman wearing a long veil that was blowing in the wind.

Do any of you know the name of this book? Thanks!

Z

The doctor is from Earth, iirc, and the locals live in caves.

I think it's by Sherri Tepper, but I'm wossnamed if I can remember the title.

Back