Bernard Cornwell - Saxon books

nj1

monkey is magic
Has anyone else read the Saxon cronicles by BC?

I've currently read the first four books and can't wait for the next installment.

Which of the four do you think is the best?

I haven't read the fourth one yet but I've enjoyed the other three. I don't think they're as good as the Warlord books but probably better than the Grail series. I couldn't pick a favourite though - I'd rather wait until the series is finished.

Seeing this thread has reminded me that I need to finish this series. I've only read one of them and did enjoy it. It wasn't up to his Warlord trilogy but still very enjoyable. I find you can't go far wrong with Cornwell for a good read - I've enjoyed all his books. Sharpe. The Grail trilogy. The Warlord trilogy and Gallow's Thief. Must get back round to his Saxon novels...

I have read all of the books in this series so far. As with most Cornwell series, they seem to get weaker in plot with each new volume. That said the story is still compelling enough to warrant the reading. :)

Both of the series are good but i prefer the saxon chronicles to the warlord series. I think Lords of the north is the best of the four personally there's just something about it i really like.

I would agree but iI think it is just the novelty of a new book. Warlord Trilogy is in my top 5 series of all time!! You are mistaken, brother!!

I have read only about 100 or so pages of Winter King and i know its clearly way better than The Last Kingdom.

These are terrific books, as is everything by Cornwell that I've read so far.

He manages to combine a lot of single elements that help one become a fine writer: tells a good and compelling story, is excellent at physical description and action, has a nice sense of humor, and can keep things going on the romance side if he wants to. Plus is ability to grasp history, absorb and understand the times and events, and plunk us down in them.

For someone who finds Saxon history so fascinating, I can't believe I have never read any of this series :eek:

So, more books to add to my 'to read' list :)

Only read the first to but enjoyed them more than I imagined, never had been a big fan of 1st person narration. Cornwell does write well but Sharpe went on a few books past where he should have stopped.

I never fancied reading Sharpe so never bothered, but was recommend to BC by a mate and loved the warlord chronicles, (will recommend them to you cos imo they're his best works). The saxon books are very similar to the warlord books especially the style of writing. Glad you enjoyed the first and hope you enjoy the rest, the only downside is he appears to have finished writing this series when the story's not finished yet.

I will have to check out warlord then! I read a few Sharpe and enjoyed them, but they do seem to get a bit samey, also read the Grail series which was alright but doesn't quite measure upto the saxon books. One thing about Cornwell: he does write a brilliant battle, IMHO!

I never fancied reading Sharpe so never bothered, but was recommend to BC by a mate and loved the warlord chronicles, (will recommend them to you cos imo they're his best works). The saxon books are very similar to the warlord books especially the style of writing. Glad you enjoyed the first and hope you enjoy the rest, the only downside is he appears to have finished writing this series when the story's not finished yet.

BC is not done with the saxon books, he says there will be several more with the next one probably coming out in October 2009.

BC is not done with the saxon books, he says there will be several more with the next one probably coming out in October 2009.

Thanks for that info chump, I've been looking out for some news on the upcoming books and could find no mention of the next one in line and a mate told me that were no more books coming. I did think it was a bit strange as Utred of Babbenburg was an ancestor of BC and would think he would write more not only about him but Alfred to.

Is there any book he dont use first person narrative all the time ?

Is Sharpe like that ? I was so bored by the lack of skill he has with that technique. I wanted to see how he is third person narrative before giving up on BC.

I dont mind first person, i read alot PI crime and other genres where first person is used alot. BC is just not good enough of with it.

In Last Kingdom and Winter King would have been more interesting to me if he didnt use first person.

Amazon just sent me a link to get a free ebook:

Congratulations, you've earned a free Kindle Book!

You've qualified for this redemption because you purchased a Kindle Book, purchased a (physical) book or registered the free Kindle reading app within the last four days.

Three were only 6 titles to choose from - but The Last Kingdom was on the list. As I was going to buy it anyway, now added to my collection. :)

I am a big BC fan and started reading the series but lost interest around third or fourth book.

Really loved the Sharpe series and liked the Arthurian trilogy.

What I do find is that I prefer to read his third person style books more than his first person books.

I think this series is ace, there is nowhere near enough literature available on this period (no surprise since most historians seem to think English history starts with 1066) and I couldn't disagree more on BCs writing style, it's good if not great and the man always spins a terrific yarn