1. Now Available on Amazon:                            

> Click here for more Amazon stores

Dismiss Notice

Bernard Cornwell - Saxon books

Discussion in 'Historical Fiction' started by nj1, Dec 14, 2007.

Bugg

Bugg A Lerxst in Wonderland

Must admit, I much prefer his books that are written in first-person, like these, to those in third, such as the Sharpe ones I've read so far.

StuartBurchell

StuartBurchell Well-Known Member

The thing about first person perspectives is that you are stuck in one location with one viewpoint.

I know there are other 1st person books but with more than one character narrating the story...

Bugg

One location? Uhtred travel's all over the place :D But one man's meat is another man's poison etc etc :)

Brian G Turner

Brian G Turner Writing and reading Staff Member

I've finally started reading The Last Kingdom and I'm really enjoying the unique use of narrative voice, and love the little bits of historical detail its sprinkled with to support it.

I was a little concerned at first that the book would be so close to the TV series as to lack surprise. However, the divergence between them both quickly became clear. While I did very much enjoy the TV series, it's clear that - as usual - the books are even better. :)

martin321 and Bugg like this.
    Vertigo

Vertigo Mad Mountain Man

I've read the first two so far and loved both of them and will be reading the next in the next month or so.

I'm generally not a great fan of first person POV (though I do seem to have been reading more of them just recently) and, whilst it does have its limitations, such as being pinned to the actions of one person and any other actions only being narrated through dialogue, it also puts the reader very firmly into the middle of that one person's actions. This is particularly noticeable in battle scenes where you really do feel like you are there.

Bugg likes this.
    Bugg

Cornwell does first person POV brilliantly. I highly recommend his Arthurian 'Warlord Chronicles' trilogy, too - they were the first ones I read of his and got me hooked :)

Vertigo likes this.
    Vertigo

Vertigo Mad Mountain Man

I've been wondering about the Sharpe books next but 1) there's an awful lot of them :( 2) do I like historical books set in the Napoleonic wars or just age-of-sail man-of-war books? :confused:

Bugg

Read Sharpe's Trafalgar and kill two birds with one stone :D

Vertigo likes this.
    Vertigo

Vertigo Mad Mountain Man

Bugg

Just listening to a Q&A with Bernard Cornwell on Facebook. He says there are more Uhtred and Sharpe books to come. Also, a second season of the tv series of The Last Kingdom is coming next year, and two more seasons are planned after that.

Vertigo and Brian G Turner like this.