Fitz and Molly

yep :) that's the good thing about a good, well written book :) people can discuss it. when a book is poo, no one cares about the motives :)

Well said.

However I still think Fitz could have done better. I have no sympathy for Molly. She just couldn't lighten up. I know she had a hard life but Fitz's life wasn't exactly a bed of roses and he seemed to have to spend thier entire relationship in the dog house (or wolf house maybe:))

I don't Molly is all that bad. Seems their relationship was usually fine. Just bad things would happen, or misunderstandings, or words not meant said. Molly and Fitz are perfect for eachother, their problems or no different then any others. Well, for a book that is. They have each had hard lives. I don't think either could have done better, they were meant for eachother. No other women in his life were good for him. Jinna was nice, except she thought he just went wolf-crazy and killed three people and a horse. I'm sure they could have probably worked it out, not that I wanted them to. He liked Celerity for her spirit, she might have been good, but still not Molly. And lets not get started on Starling. She seemed to finally be better when she got pregnant, but I don't think her issues vanished, plus they had to stop being friends because of it anyways.

yea it seems those of us that love Molly and Fitz relationship are outnumbered here lol. Like i said, i think they are my favorite couple in all of fiction. Rivaled only by jack and Aliena from Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett, and Holly and Jim from ColdFire by Dean Koontz.

Fitz and Molly's story to me is the very embodiment of True love and Tragedy.

I havn't read enough series to compare yet. Though I do think Richard and Kahlan from The Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind have a good relationship aswell. Theirs is tragedy and love too.

Dont mean to go off topic, i love Richard and Kahlan as well im a big fan of Goodkind since 10th grade. seems like such a long time ago. The series wrapped up this year and it was such a great conclusion. The Sword of truth series is very close to me. i'll defend it till the day i die. its not for everyone though since its fundamentally philosophical. It actually got me into reading.

It was the second series I ever read after Feist. I liked it. Atleast Goodkind says he isn't done writing about the world and characters he made.

I really didn't like the young Molly. She seemed selfish and unyielding to me. I can see her moving on when she thought Fitz was dead, but it should have taken her a lot longer than it did.

I am glad that they ended up together, only because that is what Fitz wanted. The Fool also knew that is what Fitz wanted because that is what he saw and why he was willing to go thru with his plan, even though he knew he was going to die. I do think that Fool loved Fitz more than Molly ever would or could. But Fool was right when he said Molly wouldn't accept him in their lives. I think she would have been very jealous of Fool (even though, he and Fitz wouldn't have had a sexual relationship) because it would become very clear that they shared a bond stronger than she would ever have with Fitz, despite being his wife.

Fitz got what he wanted. Molly and a relationship with his daughter. He also got to payback Burrich (for raising and loving him) by taking care of his kids (whom he could consider his, ?foster? brothers).

Happy? Content? Who cares! I'm just happy he got what he wanted.

Ok, I'd just like to clear up something I;ve spotted throughout this thread...
"The Catalyst comes, not to be a hero, but to enable others to be heroes.". This line says nothing that the Catalyst cannot be a hero, it just says that isn't his purpose.
The faery queen said that the Catalyst changes things, but dosen't change himself. That is essentially wrong, nowhere is it specified that the Catalyst cannot change, just that he comes to change events. I think Fitz was capable of changing, yet the fact that he didn't points back to the deep roots of love in his live. Fitz could be attracted to what she represents to him as well, say, the connection to his childhood and previous live...
Musing...

it was fitz's fault he didn't have molly! burrich did a noble thing. he stepped in and looked after a pregnant woman AND her child. he didn't have to. fitz could have come back. he didn't. it's HIS fault.
and a catylst in science, can't change. that's what i mean. he, as a catylst, cannot change himself. he can only change events around him because in science a catylst doesn't change. and fitz doesn't, because he can't, as said catylst.

urgh. i dunno, i really disliked richard and kahalan. their romance seemed completely forced to me. oh look, she's pretty, now i LOOOOVE her. there was no real development at all.

Regardless of perspective (I'm mostly with kauldron on this one), the fact that you guys can discuss the complex motives and emotions of fictional characters in such great detail (and with real feeling, too!) is a tribute to the immense talent of Robin Hobb. Reminds me of my Literature classes. Maybe she should be introduced as a compulsory read? :)

i dont really like it when fitz is happy. I think that the whole point of the farseer trilogy and tawny man is that fitz is never truly happy.
thats part of the fun!
oh and please would people stop praising a fitz-fool relationship, its just weird.
i dont normally do this kind of thing, ive created an account here just to sort you people out.
peace

I don't think I've ever been touched by a romance in a book as much as I was touched with the love story of Molly and Fitz. Mostly for the reasons kauldron26 mentioned in his post(s).
Before reading these books I never really payed much attention to the romance side of fantasy books (or any books for that matter, not that I've read much romance books) that I have read and they never really touched me.
But the love story of Molly and Fitz literally made my heart flutter and my cheeks to blush the first time I read AP and RA. And it also made me depressed for Fitz in the end of RA when Molly dumped her and in AQ when Burrich and Molly started a relationship together.
Tbh I didn't really think that the reasoning for Fitz to leave Molly without the knowledge of him being alive at AQ didn't seem sufficient for me.
I also felt a bit disappointed that Robin didn't write more about Fitz's and Molly's life in the end of FF, it made me feel strangely empty.

I also don't understand how people can say that Fitz's and Molly's relationship was only sexual because it obviously wasn't. And to say that Beloved and Fitz would have been a better couple... it is true that Beloved loved Fitz with the purest possible love but I think that's mostly because of the fact that he was the Prophet and Fitz the Catalyst.

I agree with the above post somewhat... Love is in no way a thing between two people who are "perfect for eachother". It happens quite the opposite imo.

Throughout all the books its clear that Molly is his "true love". Saying that the Fool should be, is just what YOU think it should be. There are different kinds of love that people experience, and Fitz experiences them in these books with people such as the Fool, Nighteyes, Burrich, etc... The fool wanted something different with Fitz, not sex, but a more open or deeper love. Fitz states clearly that he doesnt feel that same love for the fool multiple times throughout the series. Yes its sad but thats what FITZ feels and he clearly states that Molly is MORE than enough for him..

This is what he wanted with his life.

I agree with the above post somewhat... Love is in no way a thing between two people who are "perfect for eachother". It happens quite the opposite imo.

Throughout all the books its clear that Molly is his "true love". Saying that the Fool should be, is just what YOU think it should be. There are different kinds of love that people experience, and Fitz experiences them in these books with people such as the Fool, Nighteyes, Burrich, etc... The fool wanted something different with Fitz, not sex, but a more open or deeper love. Fitz states clearly that he doesnt feel that same love for the fool multiple times throughout the series. Yes its sad but thats what FITZ feels and he clearly states that Molly is MORE than enough for him..

This is what he wanted with his life.

I agree with everything you have said....