Thoughts(Farseer Spoilers)

Shingetsu

Immortalis Canis Lupus
I liked The Farseer Trilogy... atleast I think I did since I read them all until I finished. I don't know if I say I hate it after finishing it now, or it just bothers the hell out of me. The three books seemed to be nothing but sorrow and tragedy for Fitz. And I thought "Oh, well that's usually how it is in books, atleast in the end he'll have Molly and his daughter." Yes, that's what I get for thinking that in the third book without knowing the author. So instead of finally getting the thing he wants most, a life with his wife and daughter, he gets screwed over with that aswell. So I feel as if there was nothing good to the books now. Sure The Six Duchies are saved in the end, but who cares about that, that should be only part of the ending. The ending should have been good for Fitz and finally got what he desired. That's like the only thing that was holding the poor man together in the end. Then Kettle(Kestrel) says that he never really loved her and that he should let her go. I was like where the hell did that come from, seemed a nice normal love between Fitz and Molly to me. Maybe I just don't see deep enough in the story. I figured that Molly was going to be the one thing he would have in the end since he had it near the beginning.

Robin Hobb should have just left it alone when they hadn't seen eachother for those two years when growing up and left it alone, though I knew it wouldn't be because I was hoping for it to be all well in the end. It's like Hobb had to torture Fitz until all he had left was Nighteyes. Which is all well and good, by why the hell couldn't he have been with Molly in the end?

I now have to sit here and vent my frustration instead of sleeping like I should be. I do have a question for those who've read the following trilogys. Do they involve Fitz at all and does he continue to have nothing but more tragedy and sorrow? Or is it only about whoever the new characters are. If it doesn't involve him at all or not much at all I think I will take a break from Robin Hobb books for awhile. But if good things happen to him and gets better then I probably would be forced to read them to know what happends next. But it sounded like it centered around the new characters and didn't involve old ones really, but don't know. Any insight would be helpful.

Edit:
I read the description for the third trilogy and saw that it involves Fitz and the main characters again. Though it says something about him being Tom Badgerlock or something, not sure what that means. Is the second trilogy important and involve the Farseer main characters to? Or can it be skipped and go on to the third?

Last edited:
The second trilogy, The Liveship Traders, follows the Fool around various places, I believe. I've still to read it, but I've heard very good things about it, and it's definitely recommended that it's read.

The third trilogy is the end to the whole saga, sadly. But it's a good end. Everyone who was still alive by the end of the Farseer Trilogy is in the Tawny Man Trilogy, including Fitz - who everyone still thinks dead, hence his going around as Tom Badgerlock. And that's all I'm going to tell you. :p

The third trilogy is a definite must-read, even if just to finish the tale of Fitz. You don't need to read the second trilogy before starting on the third (I didn't, and I don't think I missed anything important), but if you like Hobb, then goferit.

Thanks for the info Lenny. I think I will start with the last trilogy now just to finally get it over with for Fitz. Maybe I'll eventually go back to the second one later, but I just want to finish this tragedy and sorrow now and not have to keep thinking about how much it annoys me. Hell I even wish Burrich would die and Fitz end up taking care of Molly and then them get back together. Even if it would annoy me that they could have been together for 15 years and had their own children and enjoyed their lives. But of course that won't happen. The only woman he has is casual sex with Starling. Though their only friends, no real love there. I don't see why Hobb just doesn't have Fitz fall through a bridge and die. Would have been better then nothing but torture for him.

Liveships does have a moderate bearing on the last tale, but you can get by without reading it - though you will miss out on meeting T -Tinc - oh heck I can't remember the name of the dragon - and my book is 3 hours away.
You also miss out on a rather majorly confusing aspect of the Fool - but that is all I will say

I know I probably should just read it in order, but I really would rather get back to about Fitz and see what more torture will be done to him...

Ugh, I don't see why Hobb wishes to torture Fitz so much and not give him anything good except Nighteyes and makes him into a hermit in the end of the Farseer trilogy. Lost Molly, lost his daughter Nettle, plus the Prince is his son aswell, even if Verity borrowed his body. I think the only thing that would have been decent if he couldn't have Molly was if he and Nighteyes went with Kettricken and them on the dragons back back to Buck Keep and finally lived again and been with all the people he knew.

I hope so. Hopefully Hobb can atleast give Fitz something good in the final ending. I suppose he's not really all that old, could be early thirties to mid. If I'm lucky I'll be getting the book in two hours, have stuff to do in an hour sadly.

Just come back and tell us what you think of book one - if you don't sleep tonight, chances are you should be able to finish it ;)

Maybe, but probably won't finish it tonight. Only got 3 hours of sleep last night. Probably will fall over tired later. Though I agree about the reading of the books and not going to sleep when you should... damn books. I'll come back and post when I get to something interesting I need to post about or after I finish the first book. Hmm, maybe Fitz and Kettricken will love eachother instead lol. I read Fool's Errands description, only said "partner". I'm sure it just means because their friends and both have the Wit.

Nope, only have the three Farseer trilogy books. I'll read the Liveship trilogy after the last one maybe, or maybe a break from Hobb.

i think you'll love the end of the tawny man series, for the very reason that i hated it! i loved the farseer because of the misery and the sudden ending. i liked the fact that, for once, a hero didn't get everything he wanted and had sacrificed everything and got nothing in return. life is like that. it's not all full of everuone getting their dreams. so i loved that. but i guess, i like miserable things. i like characters that are abused and messed about. and i hated the tawny man for undoing all of that. but you'll love it :)

the liveships are ok. they are part of it, the main plot of that has some bearing on the main plot of the tawny man, and some of the characters do reappear but only for a bit (in a very, in my opinion, forced and pointless conversation between the fool and a woman from the liveship traders) so you can go without reading it, but you may as well. i didn't enhjoy it as much, well, at all really. but that's just me.

shingetsu i felt the very exact same way as you. go straight to tawny man and read my other posts. i was so depressed after AQ that it wasnt even funny. i couldnt believe that a book could perturb me like that. just read tawny man, and if u feel the exact same way i did after AQ, you'll feel how i did after a fool's fate. trust me.

seriously i dont think i have read a book as depressing as AQ. my god i felt so emotionally sick after that. i really loved fitz and molly. i love them so much it hurts. i was actually convinced that hobb was evil and she just hated and wanted to torture fitz. the farseer trilogy has to be the most depressing thing ever. i was so frustrated and depressed that it affected my sleep and i told myself i didnt want to read the other hobb books if it was all sorrow and pain. but i forced myself to read tawny man and read fitz story to the end. im so glad i did. like me you probably hate burrich. god i wanted to kill him. that scene where fitz sees burrich and molly getting together is still bar none the most heartbreaking thing i have ever come across in fiction. even when i think about it randomly it still hurts like hell and it can even ruin my mood.

the power of hobb's writing and characters is overwhelming.

shingetsu READ THE TAWNY MAN trilogy right now.

Last edited:
i thought the end of Farseer trilogy was really sad and depressing but not that bad. mostly because the romance between Fitz and Molly was a teenage romance, very hot but i had assumed it would burn out quick. i think the saddest part of the story was that in the Tawny man the writer shows us that it was *not* in fact the case. that it was really love (at least on Fitz's part; i think Molly never really loved him as much as he did her.)

my favorite part of the general story remains the Liveship trilogy, completely different in approach and focus than either Fitz trilogies. there's a lot of characters and storylines for one thing that actually come to a satisfying conclusion in the end and it's not first-person-narrative either, which tends to be a little tiring at times though Hobb handles it masterfully well. so i would not recommend skipping it entirely.

i believe molly loved him as much as he loved her, because even Burrich admitted as he was dying that he knew she never stopped loving him in 15 years. remember that she "knew" she loved him first! she thought he was courting her when they were 16. she stayed at court humbling herself and enduring humiliations just to be with fitz. after the first night they made love she said "know that regardless of what the king says, i am your wife now and forever".

being fitz story is 1st person POV we cant get that much of an insight on other characters.

she was older. molly is more likely to know how she feels, being older
and i agree, i don't think she loved him as much. she married burrich, for heaven's sake. she had lots of kids. fitz didn't move onto anyone else. he used women for sexual release (a sign to me that his feelings for molly weren't that pure as well, otherwise he might have saved himself jsut for her, but that's my idea of deep romantic love) but he certainly didn't form a relationship with anyone. she did. evebn thinking he had died, she married again. patinece never married again after chivilary died. ok she didn't have a child to look after, but burrich would have stayed by molly without marrying her and having lots of babies. but she married him because her feelings for fitz weren't as strong as patience feelings for chivilary. or even ketrrickens for verity. she didn't marry again either. and what she said in the farseer series was a child talking. well a young woman, full of love and sillyiness. you can't hold what she says there to fitz as a standard for how she felt. only what she did, and what she did was move on, marry someone else. her feelings just weren't as strong.

that's right. although it was normal for Molly to find another man--thinking as she did that Fitz was dead and gone--she turned to her caretaker in too short a time period in my opinion. pregnant women need several months before losing the mood swings and blues that come with childbirth, nevermind having the time to feel sexy. comparing her feelings to those of the Fool, who never stopped loving Fitz in his/her way she comes up short. (just look at what the Fool endured for Fitz fer cryin out loud--a regular customer for torture!--and his/her final act of love in the Tawny man was imo the hardest sacrifice)
i don't mean Molly didn't have any feelings, only that they were not fairytale material. and actually that's Hobb's greatest achievement, bringing life-like people and flawed emotions in a fairytale setting.

kettricken lost verity when she was pregnant, just as molly left fitz when she was, and kettricken didn't remarry, even with all her hormones. ok she was in a different situation, she was queen, she probably didn't think that she could. but even when dutiful was older she was still single. and patience didn't remarry either. so yeah, molly just not as in love, i think. maybe she was just more needy, in the end. maybe that's why she went back to fitz? because she didn't want to be on her own, with all the kids. so it's not just love, but a level of need.

and yeah, the fool sarcrificed far more. he gave up his home, his life, to be with fitz (well teh catylst originally i guess) and he left, at the end, knowing it was for the best, despite how he felt abotu it. i don't see that same level of sacrifice in molly. what she did was a betryal, to some extent. going off with fitz's dad, to all intensive purposes. the man who had raised him. she went with the first person who was nearby, really. the first one who could look after her. just as she went with fitz, the first person who really showed an interset in her. think after her life, of being abused and having to work hard for her dad, she needed someone to take care of her and i think that drove her motives.