the stand

Discussion in 'Stephen King' started by leviathan, Dec 5, 2007.

1. soulsinging

soulsinging the dude abides

That sounded a little harsher than I intended. I'm sure King has his reasons, as authors always do, but I also think there's a lot to be said for a good editor as someone above pointed out. I didn't mean it in the sense that it's a vanity thing, more so that King (and a lot of epic fantasy authors today) is maybe too close to the work and thus chases his story down every sidepath, whereas an editor can often rein that in and keep things on track. Rather than implying some things and leaving it to the reader to fill between the lines, these authors seem to write every scene that ever occurs to them.

2. BAYLOR

BAYLOR There Are Always new Things to Learn.

It was the first Stephen King novel I read and of all the books ive read by him. its my favorite . It is a griping and powerful book . (y)

3. BAYLOR

BAYLOR There Are Always new Things to Learn.

I thought the miniseries they did back in the 90's was decent. I liked Jamie Sheridan as Randal Flagg.

4. Frost Giant

Frost Giant Well-Known Member

One of the best things about The Stand is the tie-ins with other King works, mainly via Randal Flagg.

5. Mister_Oy

Mister_Oy Well-Known Member

Yeah great Dark Tower tie-ins (and the Talisman too). All in all a great book - apart from the ending! LOL!

6. Frost Giant

Frost Giant Well-Known Member

The miniseries was nice, I liked the first half better than the second half. It seemed like the second half of the series minimized some of Glen Bateman's cynicism and maximized the folksy religious angle a lot more, but overall it was a good adaptation.
    Personally, I didn't really care for Sheridan as Flagg, mainly because he didn't resemble the physical description in the book. His acting was up to snuff though. I thought they should have included the end portion where he awakens on the beach, but I suppose they thought that would sabotage the expected demise of the villain.
    There have been rumblings about a big screen take on the book the last few years. It would be interesting to see what they could do. They also could probably fit it into a Netflix or HBO type miniseries if they found the right director and actors.