Last Argument of Kings by Joe Abercrombie

I recently finished LAOK. It was a great finalé to the series, and I really like The First Law as a whole. I must admit, though, I really struggled with The Blade Itself.

As well as not being keen on the tone of the dialogue, it all just felt a bit like a parody; so tongue in cheek that it was a bit smug. To shamelessly pilfer a comment I read elsewhere, I constantly felt like the cast of Monty Python were about to pop out with coconut shells clopping. I was left with the feeling that the author might be a little embarrassed by the genre.

For me, this stuff phased out as the series went on (I don't know if it actually eased off, or if I just got used to it) and the characters seemed to take on more rounded personalities and motivations, rather than fantasy tropes 'turned hilariously on their heads'.

For those who, like me, were almost put off by TBI, I'd recommend pressing on - it gets exponentially better as the series progresses (and LAOK is brilliant).

I bought all 3 books last Monday, and finished Last Argument of Kings just yesterday. I couldn't put the books down. This truly was a different take on fantasy. The characters were flawed but I still cared about what happened to them. I'm amazed that the author can make a sympathetic and likable character out of an Inquisition torturer.
I highly recommend this series.

I've read these back to back - currently on the last one and still loving it. I definitely have found them absorbing and fun to read, shame the ride is almost over :(

I am picking up a hint of sarcasm/tongue in cheekedness the books, but I like it, it's nice not to have everything so seriousfor once. I get a similar feeling when reading Neil Gaiman. I think it's mre of a playfulness and having fun with the genre than being embarrassed by it.

I do love the world that it is set in as well as the characters and hope he writes more about them in future works.

Well I finally finished this last night and though I did see bits coming, particularly around Jezal, I still think it was a great read. It's nice to read a book where there are no real good guys, in fact by the end of it, and on reflection, I was wondering how on earth I'd come to care about the main characters at all :)

I don't want to say too much as not to spoil the books for others who may read this page, but does anyone else think that there may be another book after LAoK. It seems to me that theres alot of loose ends to tie up

Yeah I had a feeling it was left open for a follow on

Yeah I had a feeling it was left open for a follow on

I hope so, surely a certain barabrian will re-surface (sorry:eek:) and a couple of people need to be taken down a few pegs.

I know what you mean about the good guys, but I just counld'nt help loving Glokta:D

I must admit I thought a certain barbarian had it coming to him but just can't help loving him any way. I did love Glokta too. I though all the characters were very well realised, there was a part where
Cathhil tells West he is just too angry
that was just very true to life and I until it was said I hadn't noticed he was :)

There is definitely one main character who needs a few lessons in humility, but then after being the most powerful man in the world for centuries you can kind of understand where his arrogance comes from

But has that power gone to his head or was he always out for his own gains? Where years ago he was a student of Juvens and was supposedly good, did he infact have a larger part in his masters downfall as was implied? We know that events at Kanedas' downfall were'nt as he told them and that in my mind makes it a big possiblilty.

I think there is a lot to be revealed about that whole affair, specially when you heard Yulwei's verson about the events at the Tower of the Maker, and his associacion with is it Sulfur?

Yes Sulfur, now there's someone who sounds a bit dodgy!

I think the next trilogy (if thee is one) will be about Ferro and what she uncovers on her revenge fest in the Gurkish lands

Bah, I wish the book was out here in the U.S.

I started the series not knowing much about it I guess and didnt know the last book wasnt out here until I went to Barnes and Noble to buy it and they told me its not out till September. I usually dont start series' that arent finished. Bugs the hell out of me when I start something and dont finish it. Hehe.

Bah, I wish the book was out here in the U.S.

I started the series not knowing much about it I guess and didnt know the last book wasnt out here until I went to Barnes and Noble to buy it and they told me its not out till September. I usually dont start series' that arent finished. Bugs the hell out of me when I start something and dont finish it. Hehe.

You can get the UK trade paperback edition on Amazon.com for $25. No idea if that's good value or not though.

If you really can't wait for the US edition (which will probably be available in August), people generally recommend the book depository.co.uk, who do free delivery to the states. I think it's under £10 on there - or about $7,000.

I saw that and it says their out of stock atm. Not sure if they'll ever be back in stock once their out of those.

I concur wholeheartedly.

But then I would, wouldn't I?

Hi Joe, Can you please tell me if the information on Wikipedia concerning a book called 'Best Served Cold' will be a stand alone book and not book four of the First Law?

P.S. Well done on a great set of books in the First Law.

A question to all that have read all three. Can someone tell me what it was that Glustrod tried to do at Aulcus that destroyed it that Bayaz did at Adua and succeeded? I mean what killed the Eaters and was it only that Ferro ignored the spirits she could hear that meant the Other Side didnt come through? Is that what Glustrod was trying to do, bring back the dead?

Here's my take on it -

#####SPOILERS#####

All magic comes from the 'other side' where all demons were exiled to. Glustrod tried to use that raw magic and was unable to contain it therefore destroying Aulcus (I think of the residue of the magic used as radioactive, hence the barren land where nothing can grow and that any ordinary person dies suddenly when in contact with the stone thingy), Bayaz managed to contain that power by use of the work he had carried out prior to the eaters arriving.
Ferro could hear the voices as she had part demon ancestry (hence her eyes) and they wanted her to open the gateway to let them escape thier confines.

I may be wrong, but thats how I saw things.