Which actor to play Druss?

Danny De vito. Just picture him with an axe.

DUDE no way, Thiss is Druss the Legend, not a dwarf from Thorbardin, holy hell!!! Someone will be suggesting Sylvester Stallone next!!!
I'm in agreement with the Sam Ellis crowd although Mickey Rourke could add a different angle to the character:D

Sam Elliot is a good choice, a good actor that could do Druss very well.

My fav would be though Oliver Reed, he was a great actor and looks like he was the real Druss :)

The voice was also very commanding, a voice i imagine Druss must have. Very shame he is dead. He died too young only 60.

Look at the pic in the link !!

i think that sam elliot would be way to skinny around the shoulders i mean druss is supposed to be quite big
oliver reed would have been a great choice if he was still alive

I would have to say James Cosmo or Brenden Gleeson. They fit the build and both can act. They have been in quite a few films, Both braveheart, troy. And you know they both can do the scottish "Aye Laddie". (Gleeson maybe irish, but he played a Scotsman in Braveheart)

I think the best choice for Druss would probably be to CGI him, and have someone with a "hearty" oratory do the voice-over. A computer-generated Druss (ala Beowulf) would be fantastic with the voice of, say, Brian Blessed.
The point's been raised many times, but it depends which book you start with. Books in which Druss takes a central role are First Chronicles of Druss the Legend, Second Chronicles (a.k.a. The Legend of Deathwalker), White Wolf and Legend in that chronological order, also appearing in brief spats in The Swords of Night and Day.
I think you'd probably have to start off with Legend, then release the chronicles as prequels, then maybe release White Wolf and Swords of Night and Day as their own independent two-part series, as, I think, they were intended.

CGI is awful, the Beowulf with Gerald Butler is much better than the CGI. Whole point for me with with Gemmels writing was grit in a fantastic setting, CGI just becomes a cartoon.

Shame Brian Dennehy is probably too old now. Had the physique, presence etc, see Gorky Park and others.

Plus re the age issue, in White Wolf Druss is regenerated so anyone 45-55 would be ok for old Druss. Also I thought Druss was only above average height not 6 foot 2.

Others are easier if unlimited Budget, Daniel Day Lewis for Shannow, Viggo Mortensen for Waylander (see History of violence, brilliant switching between nice guy and deadly killer, could make up for only LOTR miscasting as Aragorn), Charlie Hannum for Bane, even Mickey Rourke would be a cracking Angel but Druss would be a real problem.

I think the only way to go would be an unknown.

I've just been watching the UK's Strongest Man, and it reminded me of this thread. Ed Hall looks exactly how I imagine young Druss to look, aside from his haircut. He probably can't act though.

See:

How about Brian Blessed as Druss - He certainly has the build, the age on his side and can certainly do the accent?

My immediate thought was Brian Blessed, but for some reason I think he would make a far better Karnak One-Eye, than he would a Druss. That whole stately pompous king-thing he has going on.

Just a thought, what about Sean Connery, when I read the book when it was first published I could not get the actor out of my head.

Just a thought, what about Sean Connery, when I read the book when it was first published I could not get the actor out of my head.

I have to agree, Sean Connery was my first choice also. He has a good booming voice and usually is great as the older mentor warrior sort as in Untouchables and Highlander.Unfortunately I believe he has retired and has not done a movie in ages.

Another great one would be Brendan Gleeson (I am going to check and make sure I got his name right) I think he may be built physically more like Druss..

Hahaha Arnold Shwarzenegger would be the business!! Horrible movie but I'd laugh myself to death ;)

Now THIS is genius. Just as Druss is dying from his poisoned wound he could look up and with his last breath of life say....."I'll be back."

On a more serious note, perhaps Czechoslovakian actor Vladimir Kulich? He played the Viking king in the movie 13th Warrior.

One quick related point.

Waylander is Clint Eastwood channelled into a Sci/Fantasy novel.

Druss = Ron Pearlman

Waylander - Christopher Lambert

Tenaka Kahn - Andy Lau

Skilgannon - Marc Dacascos

Dardallion - Morgan Freeman (pls excuse the age, his charisma makes him perfoect for the role)

Rigante books

Jaim - Clive Russell
Ruathain - Billy COnnolly

As I posted in the Gemmell Movie thread, I think the current ideal actor to play Druss would be Tom Hardy (Bronson, Bane(Dark knight rises).
He's an imposing figure without an axe let alone with Snaga.. and has the acting skill/accent ability to pull it off.
He's also not super mainstream like an Arnie or Stallone so the film would be about Druss and not the actor - Bonus.

Hardy would be a perfect Druss. This is true. Connery when he was younger would have been perfect for it but sadly he is too old now to do it.

By the way, Waylander should only be played by Liam Neeson. Anyone who has seen Taken would agree with me.

Back