IGN Top 100 list

It takes forever to cycle through all the ads & stuff so for completeness, I'll list them below here. The list ins't complete as they are 'counting down' each day and are only up to 71 so far:
100 - Archon: The Light and the Dark (NES, PC, C64)
99 - Rayman 2: The Great Escape (dreamcast)
98 - Quake 2 (N64, PC etc)
97 - Silent Hill 2 (PS2, XBox, PC)
96 - Wave Race 64 (N64)
95 - Bionic Commando (NES, PC, GB)
94 - Nights into Dreams (SAT)
93 - Ultima VII: The Black Gate (PC, SNES)
92 - Wipeout 3 (PSX)
91 - Pilot Wings (SNES)
90 - Okami (PS2)
89 - Alone in the Dark (PC, PSX, SAT etc)
88 - Star Wars (Atari)
87 - Advance Wars (GBA)
86 - Perfect Dark (N64)
85 - Mafia (PS2, PC Xbox)
84 - Manic Mansion: Day of the Tentacle (PC, MAC)
83 - World of Warcraft (MAC, PC)
82 - Syndicate (PC, SNES etc)
81 - Space Invaders (Atari)
80 - Ninja Gaiden Black (Xbox)
79 - Secret of Mana (SNES)
78 - Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (GB)
77 - Starfox (SNES)
76 - Final Fantasy VII (PC, PS2)
75 - Goldeneye (N64)
74 - Sam & Max Hit The Road (MAC, PC)
73 - Resident Evil (PSX, PC)
72 - Mechwarrior 2 (PC, SAT etc)
71 - Planescape: Torment (PC)
70 - Techmo Bowl (GB, NES)
69 - Metal Gear 2: Sons of Liberty (PS2)
68 - Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (PS2, PC, XBox, GCN)
67 - Mega Man 2 (NES)
66 - Burnout 3:Takedown (PS2, Xbox)
65 - Thief II: The Metal Age (PC)
64 - Total Annihilation (PC, MAC)
63 - Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution (PS2, ARC)
62 - Wolfenstein 3-D (PC, SNES etc)
61 - Phantasy Star IV (PC, GEN)
60 - Prince of Persia (PC, NES etc)
59 - Command and Conquer: Red Alert (PSX, PC)
58 - Mike Tyson's Punch-out!! (NES)
57 - ICO (PS2)
56 - NHL '94 (PC, SNES etc)
55 - Final Fantasy II (SNES, PSX etc)
54 - Contra (NES, GB etc)
53 - Rome:Total War (PC)
52 - Dune II: The Building of a Dynasty (PC)
51 - Sonic the Hedgehog (GEN, GBA, SGG)

Last edited:
Got a good feeling Unreal Tournament will rank surprisingly high. Half-life for the top spot

Mario was nr.1 in 80's...

Talk about overrated.

Best game for me is MGS or MSG 2.

Did it atleast make the list?

Super Mario Bros. defined a genre, rekindled the interests of gamers after the industry crashed in the early 80's and has retained a loyal fan-base for over 20 years. The franchise is far from overrated.

It is cause they havent made a good Mario game in since Mario Kart 64 (genius game by the way better than old Mario games IMO)

Not saying it wasnt important when it was new what it did but it died as original quality series long time ago. They only get more updated graphic wise these days.

It became too big for Nintendo's sake they make more Mario games than anything which is why Sony dominated/dominates with PS/PS2 and soon PS3.

Tidied up my original post & added it up to date.

Interesting that FFII placed above FFVII and also that the original Prince of Persia placed above the PS2 remake. Not sure what the criteria was in the marking but it's a talking point at least :)

EDIT: Oh, and Connavar - I haven't played it but Mario Galaxy may make you eat your words as some of my friends who have a Wii are saying it's one of the best games they've played in years

64 Total Annihilation. Used to love that game but i am surprised it is in the list altogether.

Sonic is low at 51.

I thought Dune 2: Battle for Arrakis :rolleyes: might have made the list higher, it more or less established the real-time strategy games (although there were some earlier ones) and it set up a system that is still being used today! Sure RTS are alot better today but its usually a case of more complicated and more detailed rather than much thats actually new.

I said in a post once before that I can still remember the voices of the little soldiers Acknowledged, Moving Out and on a Megadrive!

Of course I'm bias, after all it was Dune, how cool was it to watch a sandworm come up and take out yet another havester right when you needed it most :).

Nice to see Phantasy Star 4 made the list, that was a great RPG for the megadrive.

Some of the ones I expect to see in the top 50: Street Fighter 2 (Top 10), Tekken 3, Donkey Kong, Mario World, Doom (top 5), Balders Gate, Pong (top 10), Lemmings, PAc Man (top 10), California Games or Summer Games, Skate or Die (maybe?), Ninja Gaiden, Defender of the Crown, Wizard of Wor (Maybe?), Ghost and Goblins, Age of Empires (top 10?), Zelda (top 10), Adventure (should be top 10 imo but probably wont), Pitfall, Kings Quest........ and I'll stop there.

Last edited:
I think the entire Baldur's gate / Icewind Dale / Neverwinter Nights series all deserve high placement. Soldier of Fortune 2 is still better online than many other subsequent shooters as well. Anything by Blizzard is fantastic of course!
I'm glad Mike Tyson's punch-out is there, I used to love that game :D
The entire Zelda series is awesome, although I think Nintendo have such a sterling record of games that their section of the list will be long and distinguished.

Tomb raider must be on there too somewhere. It was like the first game that used triangular pixels to make stuff sharper.