Maps, Maps and More Maps?

WriterJohn

Doing research I have been looking for world maps - I have found one world map that looks good and one world map that shows only deserts of the world. I am looking for world maps that show where caves are located, one for mountain ranges locations, one for lakes, one for forests and jungles of the world, etc
Links to them would be helpful.
TIA
WriterJohn

pyan thanks for the link - yes the main mountain ranges. The first image is like bas relief the second image (the one below it might work).

What I want to do is bring a good world map into a graphics program then using layers bring in the maps (trying to match the world map) of deserts, caves, ranges etc and use the layers to turn them on or off. That way when writing about a scene in the desert, cave etc I can turn off the other layers and view the, for example, desert map over the detailed world map and use the transparenacy slidder or button to see the places where the deserts are so I plan the action and/or travel.
Does this make sense to do?

Yes, but good luck finding maps that you can fit on top of each other, they'd have to be at the same scale and in the same map projection. It's not that it isn't a good idea, just that...well, when I try and do things like this, it always goes pete tong. Perhaps memorising where the various features are and linking this in your mind to geographical features on the main, physical map will be just as easy.

Or it might be easier to draw these features on yourself, on other layers.

Of course, it might work perfectly well for you. I hope so.

Thanks Sephiroth
I have been googling for lists of deserts, rainforest jungles, caves etc and use your
Or it might be easier to draw these features on yourself, on other layers.

Karst ??

Um, you mean natural 'limestone' or other solution-type caves ??

In that case, you need to track down the sulphate, carbonate and halite geology that would support such, and the history that would erode them.

Note that eg ice-ages with greatly lowered sea-level allows erosion of caves at or below current sea-level: See Florida & Yucatan 'Blue Holes'.

Also, high-stand sea levels' saline incursions will selectively dissolve limestone at interface between salt & fresh.

etc etc.

IIRC, Lava tunnels tend to be ephemeral...

Here's an interesting United States map produced by the Federal office of Emergency Management. For Chronsters living elsewhere -- do you have anything comparable?

pyan thanks for the link - yes the main mountain ranges. The first image is like bas relief the second image (the one below it might work).

What I want to do is bring a good world map into a graphics program then using layers bring in the maps (trying to match the world map) of deserts, caves, ranges etc and use the layers to turn them on or off. That way when writing about a scene in the desert, cave etc I can turn off the other layers and view the, for example, desert map over the detailed world map and use the transparenacy slidder or button to see the places where the deserts are so I plan the action and/or travel.
Does this make sense to do?
You could do this with a program like Coral draw. I'm sure there are other programs that do it too.

Basically you would import the various graphics and place them on different layers. You can also grab them and scale it to the same limits as the other layers. The program allows you to turn layers on and off.

Coraldraw is basically a publication/techical drawing package much like Autocad - which you could also use.

I believe both have function reduced student price editions (not for commercial use etc.) Although when you make your fortune from the book you can go legit. :giggle: