DVD Haul

It's an odd one. As I said, I recall being impressed by certain things, but not that much by the film as a whole. Seeing it now, I'd have to say it's much better than I felt at the time, and much more of a thoughtful film than I'd recalled. (Yes, it is rather nasty at times, but the actual gore element is surprisingly slight, given the incidents of the film....) Certainly a much darker film than Re-animator, with the majority of the humor of a quite different quality; much more symbolic and ironic overall....

Most of the time I buy very few DVDs, but between Christmas presents and a 3 for 2 sale at Borders, I've acquired this week:

Stardust
Emma (the Kate Beckinsale version, not the Gwyneth Paltrow)
Reduced Shakespeare, The Complete Works of Shakespeare
Sleeping Beauty, Paris Opera Ballet
North and South (the one based on Mrs. Gaskell's book, not the turgid Civil War novel of the same name by John Jakes)

I've been meaning to watch 300 for a long time now (it's seems delightfully gory and stylised, my kind of thing indeed) and your post above, OR, made me go out and buy it today. You owe me £6 :p

I've been meaning to watch 300 for a long time now (it's seems delightfully gory and stylised, my kind of thing indeed) and your post above, OR, made me go out and buy it today. You owe me £6 :p

so you really don't want me to tell you that I got All of Mad Max and FF The Spirits Within from Tescos who are doing a total wash out of thier DVD stocks.

been meaning to watch 300 too, but someonme told me it was the biggest waste of 3 hours of their life

yah - some mad people said the same of LotR - we just like to nod politly and hurry past those people ;)

*************** yah - some mad people said the same of LotR - we just like to nod politly and hurry past those people
Well i love LOTR,have the box set,but i might not like 300,you never know. It looks suitably dark and nasty tho so...
Apparently there's a nasty scene where they murder a lot of children,I'd find that hard to watch

hmm - a child does die, but I don't recall a scene like that in the film - the only comparable scene is a village nailed to a tree - seen at a distance and only after the event has happened - and the people are dead

Received Leonard Bernstein's Mahler symphonies collection. Yummy!

I think his Adagietto from the 5th is the best version of all. But I also like anything conducted by Horenstein. And Karajan seemed to be able to do a creditable job with Mahler.

Jim

I think his Adagietto from the 5th is the best version of all. But I also like anything conducted by Horenstein. And Karajan seemed to be able to do a creditable job with Mahler.

Jim

Can't comment on Horenstein as I don't have any recordings of his.:eek: But I agree with you on the Adagietto of the 5th and Karajan. I Also like Chicago Symphony Orchestra's Mahler for their strong brass.

That's quite the present! I love Lee Evans. I have all the DVDs that would come in the box set (I think...)

I didn't buy these myself, but my uncle gave me Dark Water and the Doll Master. He's not keen on films with subtitles, but as I rather like them and really enjoy the creepy East Asian films that are in the similar ilk of The Ring and et al, I asked for them.

Managed to get my grubby paws on one I've been looking for a long time - namely Alan Bleasedale's GBH on DVD. Drama, madness and corruption at its finest and it's mine, all mine I tell you!:D