DVD Haul

Just expanded my Film Noir collection with a boxed set containing Whirlpool, Night And The City, Fallen Angel and Where The Sidewalk Ends.

I can't remember seeing any of these before so it looks like a noir weekend coming up for me:cool:

Just expanded my Film Noir collection with a boxed set containing Whirlpool, Night And The City, Fallen Angel and Where The Sidewalk Ends.

I can't remember seeing any of these before so it looks like a noir weekend coming up for me:cool:

Weird that it has Night And The City instead of, say, Laura. Laura's the only one I'm familiar with. Please post back and let us (me) know how the other Premingers (as well as Night and the City) strike you.

Weird that it has Night And The City instead of, say, Laura. Laura's the only one I'm familiar with. Please post back and let us (me) know how the other Premingers (as well as Night and the City) strike you.
I watched Night And The City last night. It's set in London and tells the tale of Harry Fabian - a hustler who tries to muscle in on the city wrestling scene.

It had a very good cast (Richard Widmark Googie Withers, Herbert Lom, Gene Tierney) and was a movie set mostly at night (no surprise there given the title) with some good camera work and lighting.

On the downside, I felt the last part of the film was overdone with far too much dialogue/introspection. Another downside was the criminal under-use of the stunning Gene Tierney. On the whole, it's a film I enjoyed and the London setting made it a bit different from the usual noir stuff.

Just received a couple of Gerry Anderson productions, blu-ray of season one of Space: 1999 and the Complete Thunderbirds dvd set. Also Forbidden Planet and The Day the Earth Stood Still on blu-ray.

Not yet. Maybe this weekend. Just got a copy of Laura so that may be next:)

Dangerous Dames Collection starring actresses such as Barbara Stanwyck, Angela Lansbury and Elizabeth Scott
The Treasure Of The Sierra Madre one of the best movies ever made in my opinion.

Just picked up Gravity, The Hunger Games; Catching Fire; Star Wars Rebels

Pow
As a rule, I don't bother with collector's editions/special editions etc. but today is an exception to that rule. I am now the proud owner of the Blu Ray set of the complete Batman 1960s TV series. It cost me over a hundred smackeroonis but, after years of legal wrangling, I couldn't resist this release.
Thud
Warning to UK customers - advertised UV digital download version is only for US customers. Doesn't bother me but it may bother others.
Doink

Nanananana Batman:)

Pow
As a rule, I don't bother with collector's editions/special editions etc. but today is an exception to that rule. I am now the proud owner of the Blu Ray set of the complete Batman 1960s TV series. It cost me over a hundred smackeroonis but, after years of legal wrangling, I couldn't resist this release.
Thud
Warning to UK customers - advertised UV digital download version is only for US customers. Doesn't bother me but it may bother others.
Doink

Nanananana Batman:)
Just an update on the Ultraviolet situation - It is now resolved and I received an access code via e-mail from Amazon (not that I'll use it).
Good news for those wishing to buy because it was withdrawn from sale for a while (and the third-party fast-buck makers were trying to shift copies at £270 a shot). It's now available again and has dropped back down to retail price.

I picked up a few interesting movies this week.

After The Dark
the Battery
The Colony
The Host
Robocop (the new one)
Super.

The only one that I had heard of was Robocop but the others all have a very interesting premise.

I must confess that this wasn't one of the haul that I thought was interesting, but I loved the original and wanted to give it a go.

Rod Serling's Night Gallery season 3. This completes my collection of Twilight Zone and Night Gallery seasons:)

The Bob Newhart Show complete series on DVD. Should be fun. The original, unshown pilot (later recycled with about half of its footage replaced with new footage) is included as one of the extras. No Howard, no Carol, Jerry is a fellow psychologist instead of a dentist.[/i]

I've been struck down with flu so watching DVD's is the order of the day.

Amazon have quite a few good Blu Rays for £5 each, so I got this little bunch;

The Terminator
the Machine
Dark Star (I can't believe that I haven't seen this yet)
How I Live Now
Safety Not Guaranteed
XMen:1st Class
Battlestar Galactica: The Plan.

I also picked up Eureka the complete series and Eerie Indiana.

Last edited: