The Book of the New Sun

At the rate I'm currently buying books, sadly I need to go for as cheap as I can get, you know... so I ordered this one ..er.. - since I cannot post links , I'll put the ISBN no, instead. ISBN 0312874561 .

Has the Masterwork edition got any additional material?
No, both contain all four books in the series: The Dying Earth, The Eyes of the Overworld, Cugel's Saga and Rialto the Magnificent.

There was a Michael Shea book in the series too that, iirc, was quite interesting.
True, that would be A Quest of Simbilis, which I've never read and not by Vance but as I understand given the green light by him. Still, Michael Shea's Nifft The Lean that has strains of Vance in it and of which I do own a copy was impressive, so........I'll keep my eyes out for this one.

I must have that Shea book at home somewhere... will try to dig it out!

Returning to the topic of TBOTNS - many, many years ago I wrote an article for the BSFA about the hidden meanings of the novels. It was called "Looking Behind The Sun." I wonder if anybody here has access to that? I lost my copy years ago...

Returning to the topic of TBOTNS - many, many years ago I wrote an article for the BSFA about the hidden meanings of the novels. It was called "Looking Behind The Sun." I wonder if anybody here has access to that? I lost my copy years ago...

August 1991, according to this. I might well have that somewhere at home.

I just finished The Sword of the Lictor and I was blown away by it. It was one of the best books that I've ever read. It was so good on many levels. Mr. Wolfe is a genius, his writing is second to none.

On to The Citadel of the Autarch. Looking forward to it, this is reading at its best.

Thanks for those kind words Stephen. I am going to try and post some reviews on Gene's lesser known but still predominantly high class novels this year, so that may help spread the word even further.

Off-topic: What's the latest with your novel? I recall you unveiling the brilliant cover design you created but I'm not sure what happened next? Any news would be welcome...:)

...I am going to try and post some reviews on Gene's lesser known but still predominantly high class novels this year, so that may help spread the word even further...

I don't know what rock I've been hiding under, I missed the release of The Sorcerer's House back in March. I'll start a thread on it.

Also, saw on Gene's Wikipedia page that he had double bypass surgery back in April. I'm sure I speak for everyone here in saying that I hope he is feeling better and doing well.

I don't know what rock I've been hiding under, I missed the release of The Sorcerer's House back in March. I'll start a thread on it.

Also, saw on Gene's Wikipedia page that he had double bypass surgery back in April. I'm sure I speak for everyone here in saying that I hope he is feeling better and doing well.
Absolutely but as Gene is now hitting 80 he may not have too many years left. Not meaning to sound morbid, just realistic.....:)

I have the HB edn. of Sorcerer's House but am yet to read it, so what else is new?......:rolleyes:

Absolutely but as Gene is now hitting 80 he may not have too many years left. Not meaning to sound morbid, just realistic.....

You are correct. But, bypass surgery can extend one's life, so here's hoping he lives for at least another ten years.

I'm new here. I found the Wolfe section from Google. Anyway, I have been reading Wolfe for about 6-7 years now, and I pretty much love everything he has published. I discovered him through my interest in Vance when I heard he had been influenced by The Dying Earth of which he says in Castle of Days is his "Book of Gold". I am currently listening to the new audio versions of TBotNS and I am really pleased with the narrator. He even gets the words right, which is saying a lot.

I too would love to meet Wolfe, but since I doubted it would ever happen, I began writing to him a couple years ago. He has always written back, and once he sent me a copy of Strange Birds, signed to me, for what he called a dividend for buying his books. He is truly a nice person and one hell of a writer.

I also see there are a few Vancians around here. I am currently subscribed to the Compact Vance Integral Edition through Afton House Books, which is (for those who don't know) all of Vance's published work, even his mysteries, in 6 large hand-made volumes. I have the first two so far, and man are they awesome. Hope to have some good discussions here. Cheers.

Back