New JV Jones novel (A sword from Red Ice)

Anomander

I'm not sure if this has already been done, if so my apologies. I just picked this book up from the bookshop (Forbidden Planet London, thank you very much). I'm in a state because I'm still at work so I can't start reading it yet.

Great! Loved the first book, and I'm definitely going to read the rest of this series!

I've just started this - hooray, the last one! :D - and wondered what everyone thought of it? I thoroughly enjoyed the first two and waited patiently (honest!) for this third installment, enjoyed them enough to buy the hardbacks!

Really? When I finish this one I shall decide whether that is a good idea or not! I like Patricia Briggs because she does a series of two! Sometimes writers would be better sticking to a shorter series than stretching it out - let's hope this isn't one of them!:rolleyes:

I don't really think she is stretching this out. After reading the second I couldn't see her finishing it in three. I think it simply went deeper than even she expected which does happen to a writer for legitimate reasons especially with multi-character views. If she had closed out everything in the third installment it wouldn't have read well in my opinion.

Haven't picked it up myself as I am diving into a Scott Bakker book at the moment. I try to wait a bit before going too fast on a series so I don't end up in wait mode. Just like I still have two more of Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen to read but I'm putting it off till near the release of his latest. Going to wait with this one as well since it appears to be five.

After reading the first two books I thought Sword From Red Ice was going to be a real humdinger, I was anticipating it more than Erikson and Martins next novel. On reading the book though I thought it went a little pear shaped, it had a little Jordanish feel to it, too many POV's brought the pace of the book to a snails pace.

Maybe my expectations were a little too high and I'm seeing problems that aren't there?

Would love too hear what the rest of you JVJ fans thought of it.

I really enjoyed The Barbed Coil, I haven't read anything else of hers, yet.

For me Simon that wasn't the case. I really felt she needed a couple more books to bring it to a conclusion or there would have been a feeling of it being rushed. This series thus far has been one where I actually have enjoyed every pov from the characters. Usually there is one or two that simply annoy me like whoever that is that forever tugs her braid and what not from WoT or Egwene from the same series, etc.

When I first read this series though I expected something simple and maybe another light read. Jones to me has built something bigger than she even expected and weaved in some interesting characters and storylines in a series that seemed to be heading toward simply being 'Good must beat evil'. Yes it has that concept as well but branching storylines give it much more depth that typical approach and that is what I appreciate.

On reading the book though I thought it went a little pear shaped, it had a little Jordanish feel to it, too many POV's brought the pace of the book to a snails pace.

Maybe my expectations were a little too high and I'm seeing problems that aren't there?

Would love too hear what the rest of you JVJ fans thought of it.

I can see what you mean by the Jordanish comment, although I think GRRM's A Feast For Crows is a better comparison. The large number of POV chapters did slow the pace down and there was a lack of really major events happening and no real plot resolution (although unlike some of Jordan's later books I think there was still plenty happening). I did think the quality of the characterisation and writing was quite high throughout and the series does at least seem to be moving in the right direction.

Im reading A Cavern of Black Ice right now.

Was wondering if her world building gets better ? I have read 92 and i have seen nothing of the world. Know nothing but the clans, Surlord,high tower or what not.

Otherwise i enjoy the story when its about Raif cause its more interesting than reading about Ash's new body changes,coming of her blood and being closed in a chamber 24/7 which is not so interesting being the most typical thing you have seen in this kind of fantasy.

I hope Ash herself becomes more interesting than being only about her dreams.

There are three books - The Book of Words Trilogy - that take place before A Cavern of Black Ice. This trilogy shows you much more of the world. Arguably they're not essential to read, but there are some characters shared between them and you appreciate the scope of the world much more by reading the prior trilogy first.

Her new series is no longer a trilogy...

I have read Sword from Red Ice and I have to say her writing has improved massively. JV has created a far larger cast of characters and manages to keep you interested in them. I wont reveal any spoilers here but I am excited about this author and have huge expecations of her future works.

Last edited:
There are three books - The Book of Words Trilogy - that take place before A Cavern of Black Ice. This trilogy shows you much more of the world. Arguably they're not essential to read, but there are some characters shared between them and you appreciate the scope of the world much more by reading the prior trilogy first.

You scared me there for a sec i thought the other series you mentioned was a must read before ACOBI.

She has to impress me with this book first before i decide to read her old series. Right now im only interested in knowing if she is someone i can enjoy reading or not.

So i hope the story and the world gets more interesting cause i need more good epic fantasy.

I would have to say yes in response to your question. Like you I had the same feeling at the beginning of the book. Ash didn't interest me much and I thought I had the characters figured out. Well I have to say Jones did a good job leading you in one direction then seemingly turn you down another path with the characters. As you dive deeper you'll get to know more characters like the Dog Lord (great character btw). Even Ash became a bit more interesting though not my favorite female character in the book surprisingly enough.

I believe she is on book 3? I haven't grabbed her newest addition since I like to stretch out any series that isn't complete and she took a hell of a long time with the latest. So I can't comment on the latest one to come out but I have definitely enjoyed the first couple already. I believe you'll find yourself enjoying a few of the characters you'll come across and there is a past history in this world still to be unlocked.

Hope you find it enjoyable.

Back