Lovecraft ... In the oddest places

Nesacat

The Cat
Curiosity was framed. Ignorance killed the cat.
The Old Gentleman from Providence has clearly influenced a great many people. There are many who write in the realms he created. But here I'm talking about those who generally don't but whose writing either directly refers to something belonging to Lovecraft or does so in an oblique fashion.

Has anyone come across any such?

Here's something from Jules Verne's Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea which reminded me of R'lyeh:

I've just been re-reading Jules Verne's Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea, and the very intriguing Captain Nemo aside, there's R'lyeh as well.

From the chapter where the Nautilus is over four leagues beneath the ocean:
"... those primordial rocks that have never seen the light of day; those massive blocks of granite, which form the powerful axis of the earth, lying in the lowest depths of the sea; those deep grottos, hollowed out among those rocky masses; as if painted by the brush of a great Flemish artist.

Beyond, a landscape of mountains, an undulating line of shapes and shadows, sleek, black, polished heights,
without a trace of moss, without a stain, moulded into a fantastiv vision and firmly resting on a carpet of sand..."

Over the last few days I've been reading all the Doc Savage novels and here's something from Philip Jose Farmer's Doc Savage - His Apocalyptic Life

In the chapter titled Nonverbalist Johnny we have this:
Dent (Lester Dent - the man who wrote the original Savage tales) never says what institution it was which Johnny (William Harper Littlejohn the archaeologist & geologist) adorned.

From certain oblique references and shadowy hints, linked obscurely with vague, shuddery intimations, it seems likely that he taight at Miskatonic University, Arkham, Massachusetts.

Indeed if we can put any trust in certain cryptic authorities, he was the man who led the Miskatonic into the Antarctic in 1929. His horrifying report was suppressed by the authorities, but a pulp-magazine writer named Howard Philips Lovecraft managed to get a look at it. From what he remembered of his hasty reading, he wrote a fictional tale, At The Mountains Of Madness, which was published in 1936 in Astounding Science Fiction magazine.

Except for some inaccuracies of memory, and fictional names for the human characters, this story hews to reality.

The original, unexpurgated document was once believed to be locked up in the archives of Miskatonic University. However, certain elusive suggestions and guarded comments, some bordering on the blasphemous, have led me to believe that Johnny has (or had) the manuscript.

If this is so, it is very doubtful that it will be available, for many years, if ever. No one seems to know where, in 1972, Professor Willian Harper Littlejohn is.