Zelazny Quotes

GOLLUM

One of my favs from the great man...

I enjoy slaughtering beasts, and I think of my relatives constantly

hi, Gollum

she probably means that the line is Julian's, one of the Nine Princes.

shouldn't we merge our threads? Here's the one I started

Best lines from AMBER

Hey Gollum?

Are we merging or not?

well, it came out strange.

i mean the quotations threads

Yeh sorry, these were meant to be qoutes from Zelazny himself in public life vs. the books actually. Got my Amber stuff mixed up on a file I keep on this stuff. GRRRR...........

My mistake but why I was after 2 seperate threads. I shall endevaour to post some actual Zelazny qoutes, I know I have some.....

Last edited:
Here's an interesting one when asked of his favourite novel...

"Probably Lord of Light, if I have to name one. Just because I expended more effort on that book. And I was pleased with the result. It's more ambitious than most of them. I was happy with the way it turned out"

I happen to beleive this is his finest work in the longer format...

I've learnt some very nice things from editors and I've learnt some dumb things, too.

“Don't wake me for the end of the world unless it has very good special effects”

"Actually, in the series, originally I had intended to tell the different books from the different characters' points of view."

I guess he's talking about the Amber series.

Can the experts confirm it?

"Actually, in the series, originally I had intended to tell the different books from the different characters' points of view."

I guess he's talking about the Amber series.

Can the experts confirm it?

Yes, he began Nine Princes in Amber with the intent to write each Amber book from the perspective of a different character, all focused around the automobile accident as the key mystery. This plan was inspired by Lawrence Durrell’s Alexandria Quartet, a series in which the author retold the same tale from a different character’s viewpoint for each of four novels. But Zelazny later abandoned this idea when he became fascinated with the character of Corwin.

It's also fascinating to know that the story of Nine Princes in Amber unfolded for Zelazny just as it unfolded for Corwin awakening in the hospital, amnesiac. For Zelazny had no idea who Corey was or where the story was going; he had fun writing it because he discovered things at the same time that Corey/Corwin did.

These are some of the kinds of details that are covered in the story notes and biography in the multi-volume Zelazny collection that I'm working on.

Last edited:
"Randy watched the day pulse on and off, each beat growing longer, until a chill, drizzling morning hung about them as they entered the service plaza."- Randy Dorakeen exiting "The road of time" in Roadmarks

When you are about to die, a wombat is better than no company at all.

I think that's from 'Doorways in the Sand', where the protagonist is rescued by agents disguised as a wombat and a 'roo.

I'm not sure where this is from. I think it's the first line of one of his novels;

"Can you smell me Dead?"

I think it's "Do you smell me Ded?" from Doorways in the Sand the main protagonist is a perpetual undergraduate that is forced out of academia by a strange set of accidents/plots against his life including this quote appearing throughout his adventures.

Nor pressure, nor osmosis will restore Adam's lost rib, thank God.
(From This Immortal/And Call Me Conrad)

Typical Zelazny; elegant, concise, and conveying thoughts and meaning far beyond the simple words themselves. Unparalleled master of analogy.

I'm sure there are others with more, but two months is surely enough time to excuse a double post...

(From The Guns of Avalon)

I would not be taken that easily, and while I had often said that I wanted to die in bed, what I really meant was that in my old age I wanted to be stepped on by an elephant while making love.

Also master of the sudden image that catches you with your drawers down, so to speak....;)

For a sheer pun-tastic culmination to a chapter...from Lord Of Light....

"Then the fit hit the Shan"

:)

CT.